Overclocking both CPU AND GPU!!! :D

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by CrunchDude, Mar 2, 2008.

1. CrunchDude

CrunchDude New Member

Hey everyone... I've never overclocked any one of my current or past machines. I know, I know. As a self-proclaimed gadget geek, I should be hung upside down and beaten with a hammer.

I have a T7600 Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz. Ideally, I'd like to put a T9300 Penryn into my baby, but the T7600 is the fastest I was able to get for my motherboard. :rolleyes:

What about the GPU? Can I manipulate anything there except for drivers?

Thanks! :D:D

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

cpu overclocking is best when done in the Bios. There is software out there that will allow cpu overclocking while you are in windows, but it won't be as stable as doing it in bios. I'm not familiar with that particular cpu that you have got, but I'm sure there is some kind of overclocking guide somewhere on the internet. You could try google.
    But basically it is a matter of increasing the FSB and increasing the Voltage to the cpu for stability issues.

as for overclocking the gpu. you could use AtiTool, or Atitraytool. It can automatically find the maximum your card can do.

Only downside is that it's running in a laptop, and overclocking brings along more heat then usual and could be an issue, because it is alot harder to cool and dissipate then a regular computercase.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  3. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

hi there!
    I see that you are planing to oc your laptop. Word of warning that laptop's cooling systems arent build to cope with overclocking.

4. CrunchDude

CrunchDude New Member

Thanks guys...Awesome. Well, I can temporarily overclock the CPU and GPU, right? I want something that's undoable. And thanks for the warning. The T7600 is a powerhouse anyway, so I don't really have a need for it. I think I'll buy one of those cooling pads. Overclocked or not, the GPU gets crazy hot when rendering Bluray's.

:cool::cool:

5. CrunchDude

CrunchDude New Member

Neshi, oops, it wouldn't let me install the driver, as it's not signed properly. A Vista x64 thing. A friend of mine has a workaround though, so I'll get it from him. I haven't needed it until now. I see you're running XP, so you don't have that problem. :)

temeteus82: I see you're running x64. Do you have whatever it is to get unsigned drivers to work? If not, I'd be happy to send you whatever it is I'm getting lol...

I tried it on my other T60p, which is running my old x86 install. It installed fine there, but I got a BSOD real fast, as I don't know what I'm doing. When I execute the tool, it comes up with a set of numbers. When I clicked on Set Clock, it said it was already overclocked! :confused: And what's with the 3D thing and the one function where it runs "without errors" forever and ever. I stopped it after 5 mins. Should I let that go until it stops? :confused: :uhoh:

6. Blitzen

Blitzen New Member

i see you have a firegl card. those are more made for rendering than they are for gaming or video so if you're looking for a good gaming machine replacing that with a high end radeon or geforce would be you most cost effective buy and i've heard the 3870s have come down in price a long ways since i picked mine up. as far as OCing your video card you can get tools from Ray Adams ATI Tray Tools (ATT) and the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) has some options depending on the card.

7. Blitzen

Blitzen New Member

in hind site you're a renderer. better stick with a the FireGL (i've never known of a laptop to have a FireGL... how did you manage that? is it replaceable?)