Overclocking E4500 2.20Ghz

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by LilRazor, Dec 17, 2008.

1. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

Hi
    Im New To Overclocking And Stuff
    Well Is There Any Side Effects May Happen While Overclocking ?
    Couse I Dont Want To Spend Like RM599 For A C2D E8400 3.0Ghz
    Heres My Spec

Asus P5kpl/1600
    3Gb Kingston
    C2D E4500 2.20Ghz
    XFX 8800GT 512Mb DDR3
    Coolermaster 690
    Windows Vista Home Basic
    CPU Cooler Coolermaster x Dream 4
    150GB HardDrive
    120 External HardDrive
    Enermax 535W

I Was Thinking About Ocing Up To 2.8 - 3 Ghz
    Thanks..

2. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

41 views still no reply?

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Instability is the main problem to combat when overclocking. I'd start looking at getting the system stable with a FSB of 266 over the default 200. The CPU might need just a little bit of higher voltage to remain stable but otherwise that should be a straightforward affair in your case. After having run with that for a while (don't rush things) to verify that the system does indeed remain perfectly stable in every situation you could try to go for more. If you are unsure of what the FSB is then have a look at some basic overclocking guides.

blibbax likes this.
  4. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Side effects can include, Damaging hardware, killing hardware, losing your eyebrows and frying your PSU in the process but that's only if you go too far at a time.
    So happens i've got that exact same CPU and i've hit 3.08GHz stable :)

The best way to do it:

(once you've handled all the cooling and everything) increase the FSB 3/4 MHz at a time, boot into windows and run a stability checker such as OCCT (Overclock Checking Tool, google it) for an hour to see if it's stable.
    Keep repeating this process (it's very time consuming) until you begin to see instability such as windows locking up, BSOD's ect then go back into the BIOS and up the voltage a couple of small increments (I went from 1.33 to 1.36 and got it perfectly stable but very hot) and then it'll be back on track for you to carry on.

The E4500 is a great little overclocker if you've got some serious cooling, mine was hitting 65 degrees idle at 3.08GHz but that's because my case ventilation isn't fantastic despite having a nice cooler. Need a case that supports bigger fans.

Good luck mate, Stock voltage is 1.33GHz, Stock FSB is 200. Some useful figures for ya :)

GigaWatt likes this.
  5. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

Hi
    Thanks for the help but i tryed to overclocked and manage up to 2.87Ghz and could not go any higher my motherboard bios gave me a selection in the Jumper Free Configuration,ai overclocking and its set to auto .. so i change it to overclocking profile
    in there was 5% 10% 15% 20% 25% 30% I selected 30% and ended up with 2.87Ghz
    Can i go higher? But ATM my comp seems stable after playing GTA IV for hours but currently im downloading the OCCT now

Thanks Again

6. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

ah I Just Ran OCCT And After 5 min it gave me A Msg Said Crashed Code 4
    Then after i restart Code 1 And What Does This Code Means?

Edit : I Went Manual and tryed to increase the fbs and manage to reach 3 Ghz But i had Bsod as for the voltage i cant seem to find where to change it

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  7. Mousey

We need to know what your motherboard is, it only says random in your specs but i'm guessing it's an ASUS Board. The AI Profiles are alright but if you want full control change it to manual and adjust the FSB Manually but be CAREFUL because it's very easy to get ahead of yourself and fry something :hmm:
    I'm not sure what the codes are, have you checked the OCCT site?

As for voltage you have to disable C1 Thermal Control i think it is and Intel SpeedStep, if they aren't on the same page just flick around the advanced section you'll find them somewhere then you can change the voltage settings. Remember your stock voltage is 1.33 so work around that, put it up by a fraction of a volt every time because it's the voltage where things go seriously wrong for newbies sometimes

8. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

Thanks
    Also My Motherboard is Asus P5kpl/1600 as i said in the first post ill update my specs later.
    my cpu seems to be stable at 2.8Ghz at 255fsb funny how 0.7 more ghz could couse unstableness as for the voltage thing ill do it tomorrow couse i did not sleep the whole night ...
    oh and sometimes my bios takes a long time to enter why is that so?

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Remember change your ram divider while you're there - you don't want to be held back by memory speeds.

10. Mousey

Asus boards have a habit of booting seriously slow when they're OC'd it's just a manufacturer's thing i spose. I get it too don't worry :p

11. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

Ah just today my mom wants to get a new Computer so i just might give her my C2D E4500 and let her use and while i get a new one Also Thanks For All ur help Thanks Very Much =D

But theres one thing i came across these CPUs
    Core 2 Duo E8400 3 Ghz Or Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz. Also Is my 535W PSU Enough To power my whole Rig?
    Which Is Better In A way ? and why?? Also Feel Free To Recomend

Can One Of These CPU Run GTA IV Without Lag So As Crysis With All Settings Max???
    Sorry For Asking too much questions
    As for the bios habit it almost scare me as i tought i killed my bios lolz

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  12. Mousey

I'd go with the Q6600, some nice future proofing there for you especially since 4 cores at lower speeds = mawr power :). Plus quad threaded applications and games are starting to show up now. I use Cinema4D for my 3D modelling and it can take advantage of almost every core in your system, my mate has a Q6600 and we tried it out with C4D, 6 render lines = 4 cores + 2 hyperthreaded. Go for it ;)

13. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

Wow Fast Reply
    I Dont Do 3d Modelling
    I Only Use My Computer For Gamming , surfing the web and research
    Also Ive Read That The E8400 3Ghz Is Better than Q6600 2.4Ghz In Terms Of Gamming But Im Not That Sure Anymore XD

14. Mousey

Depends what you're playing, Crysis loads faster and performs physics calculations a lot quicker with a quad core, i don't think you need a patch for it eitheir. Not sure about GTAIV but i can imagine with it being so new that it supports quad cores as well.
    It's probably the smartest upgrade and the last one you'll have to make until Core i7 becomes the new standard and everyone switches to that which will take a looooong time methinks :hmm:

15. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

Heh I Decided Ill Stick With Q6600 Then =D

LOL i was thinking of Core i7 Then Oh No Ill Have to rebuild my rig again No way ... xD Also will Cost Like 123456789$ And get owned by my parents

But Core i7 is just err insane ATM yea ur rite it will be a long time b4 it become standard lol

Thanks For Everything I learn Alot these few days about overclocking

16. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

if i were you, i would go for the Core I7... use your current rig clocked till you save up some more money and buy a motherboard that supports Core I7...

i'm saying this only cuz this technology is probably the future in PCs, it wouldn't do you much good if you bought your rig now and in two years time you can't find parts to upgrade it... ;)

17. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

Well I Would Love To Go For Core I7 But I Dont Have That Much Money For That Expansive Things I Only Can Upgrade Slowly =D i Dont Even Think They Have Core i7 Over Here In Malaysia Yet
    Computer Stuff Is Expansive Here In Malaysia ... T.T
    But hell im Only 15 Years Old LOLZ
    Ill upgrade When I Find I Cant Support All The Latest Games XD

But Why Not Maybe Ill Try Out What u Said =D Save Money LOLZ And Get Core i7
    But In The Process Ill Get The Q6600 First Money is Not Really That Hard To Find (For Me xD)
    ive spent 6K This Year Alone on stupid things...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  18. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

off topic... isn't most of the computer related technology assembled in Malaysia? hell, i see that mark on most of my components... :D

19. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

Off Topic :p LOL I Did Not Notice That hahahah But Its Really Expansive Here I Wish It Would Be Cheaper
    The Price For HD4870X2 2GB Here Is RM1900 As For GTX 280 1GB Its RM 1530 < With That Price I Could Make A Mid End Computer X.X
    Oh Yea Is There Any New GPU By Nvidia Going To Be Out Soon ? its time i got a new GPU too

20. Mousey

lol you're 15? hah i'm 16 :p
    Since you said that i reckon sticking with a powerful 775 rig is your best bet until 1366 becomes standard. But it'll take 5/6 years i reckon before Core i7 parts are so readily available and cheap like 775 parts are now.

Of course top range graphics cards have never been cheap but those are the wet dreams us tech lovers chase until we've got the cash ;)