Overclocking Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P with Q6600

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by funkyfive, Jan 3, 2008.

1. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

Newbie to overclocking, can any one help?

2. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I think the general Gist of it is to steadily bump up the FSB until the rig starts becoming unstable then put the voltage up a touch.
    I've never really bothered overclocking tbh so i'm not too sure

3. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

I have been tweaking with a P35-DS3P/ Q6600 combo for a few weeks. The best setting for my system so far seems to be 444x8 (3552) with 1.4215 CPU voltage and 2.5 memory multi (DDR1110). I have found the majority of the discussions regarding working with E6750's in this forum applies also to Q6600. Just be sure to include all 4 cores when stress testing. I use Orthos for the first 2 cores and 2 instances of Prime95 for the other two

4. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

What temperatures are u getting Pyongmu, and which Cooler are u using?

5. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Mid 60's running Orthos and 2-Prime95, 36 idle. I am using a Tuniq Tower 120 with both the CPU and the cooler lapped.

6. Mousey

60s on a cooler like that? Damn... Even my zalman keeps my C2D in the 30's when i'm rendering in C4D which is constant 100% load.

7. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

Nice, my processor is idle @ 36 and on a full load @ 48 on stock. My main concern is the motherboard which is constant @ 36c according to speedfan and everest

8. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

It probably only means that you have good case ventilation. Nothing to worry about.

9. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Funkyfive, before you start tweaking your system, download some benchmarking tools so that you can "measure" the improvements. Sisoft Sandra Lite can be had for free at SiSoftware Zone Run at least the processor arithmetic and memory bandwidth benchmarks on your machine at stock setting so that you have a baseline to go by.

10. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Then try the following 2 mild overclocks,
    FSB-333, 9X CPU multi and 2.4X DRAM multi (2997MHz/800DDR)
    FSB-400, 7X CPU multi and 2X DRAM multi (2800MHz/800DDR)

11. Mousey

I wouldn't worry about the mobo temp, as long as it isn't turning into Molten Silicone your'e alright methinks :hmm:

12. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i’m wondering, can you set the Performance Enhance mode to Turbo or Extreme at the overclock setting? or you use Standard?

13. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

I have the Performance Enhance set to "Turbo." I can't seem to run it on "Extreme" unless I back off on on DRAM timing. Correction: at the current setting of 444x9x2.5, I can set the Performance Enhance to "Extreme" but it does not seem to be any better than "Turbo."

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  14. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

I will give it a go and post the results.

15. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

FSB-400, 7X CPU multi and 2X DRAM multi (2800MHz/800DDR)

My God its quick, CPUZ is showing as 2800Mhz and CPU is @ 44c Idle and Motherboard is @ 39c. FSB is 1600Mhz. So next question is how do i make the RAM faster?

Do I also need to set the Performance Enhance mode to Turbo? Vista is showing the processor as 3.6Ghz?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  16. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Try the "Turbo" Performance Mode first, then "Extreme." This should tighten up your DRAM settings and should produce 8-10% memory bandwidth gain.

17. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Set the performance mode to turbo and if stable, then try extreme. Doing so, if it works, should result 5-15% memory bandwidth increase

If t seems Windows determines the CPU frequency only with FSB setting and the stock CPU multiplier. Ignore what windows says.

18. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

Performance mode has been changed to Turbo, DDR2+12v has shown an increase in power from 1.8v to 2.14v. All is stable. Vcore is showing a increase in power @ 1.41v

19. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Changing your Performance Enhance to Turbo or Extreme will improve your DRAM timing and produce favorable results. Make sure your DRAM voltage is set per the spec which I believe is 2.1V (+.3 in BIOS). To further improve your memory settings, read some of the earlier posts. Discussions by PangingJr, in particular, are well worth a detailed study.
    Meanwhile, try a higher CPU multiplier. You should be able to run 7x with no problems at stock voltage and 8x with only a slight bump (around 1.3).

Edit: Sorry for inadvertently "sounding" like a broken record. My posts would not show up right away so I re-posted etc. Anyway, the reason for this edit is to clarify the 8-10% vs 5-15% MB gain comments I made when going from "Standard" Performance Enhance setting to "Turbo" or "Extreme." On my system, 8-10% MB gain is what I get at 444FSB and 2-2.5x DRAM combinations with "Auto" DRAM timings setting. At full range combo of 266-450 FSB and 2-4x DRAM, the MB gains are 5-15%.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  20. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

Will do i will post the results. Just an update, i am changing my Zalman CPU Cooler to a Scythe Miné Rev. B Cooler.