Overclocking Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P with Q6600

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by funkyfive, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Before installing the new cooler, take the CPU out, clean it, and set it on the cooler such that the mating surfaces are joined. Give it a good inspection. Ideally, they should mate up like two panes of glass. If not, you may want to consider lapping the CPU, cooler or both. You will be amazed at the results. Here's a site that describes the process in detail- Guide To Lapping your CPU - FrostyTech.com

2. Kazeko

Kazeko Active Member

Here's the DH.net Heatsink Lapping Guide as well.

http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/lappingheatsink/

And I'd HIGHLY recommend lapping the heatsink. IT's a pretty easy process and in my experience, temperature decreases of 5-10C isn't unheard of or unlikely, depending on how fine you go. I do all my Heatsinks with atleast 1200 grit, usually 1500 grit.

3. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

Cheers for the advise, i am going to look into it, i have 48hrs until my new kit arrives. I will update and post the results.

4. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

while i wait for my new cpu cooler, can anyone advise me the best way to go with getting the most out of my memory?

5. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

put its latencies as high as possible and try to avoid OCing the memory, unless you bought the OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066MHz sets or similar with D9GMH chips

you should not try to go above DDR2 900 5-5-5-15. it will result in unstable performance.

6. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Funkyfive,

If you want, you can try this to figure out the maximum capabilities of your modules yourself (since no one running the same memory is volunteering this information).
    Get the latest BIOS (F8) if you haven't already.
    Make sure the DRAM voltage setting in BIOS is per the module specs. 1.8 is default so set it to +.3 if the spec is 2.1 (+.4 for 2.2, etc.) but don't go higher.
    Select BIOS settings which will provide a low FSB/CPU frequencies while the memory is at the spec frequency. With the Performance Enhance set to Turbo, gradually ( or in leaps if you are an adventurous type) increase the FSB to bump up the memory frequency and see how far you can go.
    A good initial setting for the test would be something like320x7x2.5 (2.3MHz/800DDR). Run Memset or equivalent after each trial and record the results.
    Happy OCing.

7. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Just curious, Kris, how far have you successfully pushed your QX9770/ X48 chipset? Stock setting of 400x8!! And is it worth the money?

8. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Kris, it was impolite of me to ask those questions. Answer only if you choose to do so. I guess after seeing your sys specs, I was overcome by my animal instincts. I was drooling and twitching out of envy and had to ask those questions.

9. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

Damn new cpu cooler did not fit. Anyone got any recommendations? I have had to install the orignal cpu cooler at the moment, CPU temp is 32c idle 42c load.

10. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Where are you having the clearance problem(s) with the Scythe?

11. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

With the R40 capacitors

12. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

sorry, i've not reply you before this.
    it seems to me that the Extreme has no different compared with Turbo in some CPU FSB's and DRAM settings.
    however, as far as i can recall, for 444 FSB with 4:5 DDR2-1110MHz, in order to see the performance different between using the Extreme and Turbo i need to use CAS4-4-4 and sometime a low subtimings is also required and also have to add some more volts to MCH like +0.175V - +0.250V and then i would be able to get one lower performance level at system boots. but you need to memtest and stable test your system again.

13. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

funkyfive,
    can you return the CPU cooler? if so, you may want to consider returning it. and i like to suggest you do some more research before you buy a new CPU cooler.
    and maybe check with Pyongmu to see if he could help you find another CPU cooler that can be installed properly on your board without any problem.

14. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Thank you PangingJr for your reply, I will experiment further with with your recommendations.

15. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Funkyfive, I am sorry regarding the CPU cooler problem. But I did not fully understand why you sough to replace the CPU cooler in the first place. The temperatures that you reported for stock settting and 400x7 were all pretty low and I was confident you could easily go up around 3400 with your old cooler. The Zalman from what I read is a decent cooler and maybe all you really need to do is a little lapping (cpu and the cooler). The temperature gain can be as much as 15 degrees! Definitely worth a try, I think.
    My personal experience is that when properly lapped (both the cpu and the cooler), even the stock intel cooler, can let you OC up to 3.1GHz.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  16. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

lol the rig is not real, its kinda a joke for those who know me well enough on the forums

but id imagine if i truly had the hardware, it would easily be pushed to 5.3GHz with some enhanced liquid-cooling. but die to the issues with the first batches of Yorkfield cores the clock speed to calculation ratio is off so youll lose some efficiency....:sigh:

the system in general is meant to be an insane benchmarking monstrosity with that insane benchmarking price (something tells me one of the admins may actually have the machine i have listed, i think Veridian3 :D he seems to have review samples of various CPUs, mobos, cases and so on)

i honestly wish i could afford the system, but that would mean i need to sell twice as much stuff.... lol

17. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Thank you for straighting that out for me because I was beginning to peg you as the worst as they come: Rich spoiled kid with nothing better to do than boast that he can afford the very best on forums like this.

18. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

lol who COULD buy that at this time? X48 aint out

QX9770 aint out
    OCZFlexXLC DDR3 1800Mhz aint out in even 1GB sticks let alone 2GB sticks lol

Sapphire Atomic cards are yet to be released and yea....

i aint rich.... but if i was...... i still couldnt get it.....

my REAL rig will be more down to earth, just dunno what it will be though.....

19. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

I have to admit you got me good.

20. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

you yourself has a pretty powerful machine...

is that Kingston HyperX DDR2 1200mhz? thats some powerful stuff.... does it use D9GMH or D9GKX?