Overclocking Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P with Q6600

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by funkyfive, Jan 3, 2008.

1. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

The ZALMAN CNPS 9500AT has already gone and i am currently running on stock again, the power of ebay. The replacement cooler has already gone back. So i am looking at another Zalman, I have been looking for one with a fan controller and can provide extra cooling around the CPU such as the cnps8700 NT/LED with fan mate2. This provides both reduced weight at only 475g and helps produce a system that is not only extremely quite on air but is overclocked as well. The biggest problem I have is that my case is tall and thin so getting a cooler that give s me the maximum air flow with minimum size is a head scratcher.

2. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

I like the set up so far. It is amazing what can be done with these P35/C2 combos and I believe I have only scratched the surface!

The memorymodules are DDR2 1120's. As for the chips on the modules, I don't know if they are Micron's or something else. I haven't yet checked under the heat spreaders.

[edit] I meant to say 1150's. To better answer your question regarding the memory chips, I have been playing around with the memory settings a bit lately and found that I can go up to around 850 at CAS3-3-3-8, 1050 at 4-4-4-12, and 1210 at 5-5-5-15 at the module manufacturer's max setting of 2.35V. Based on this I am pretty sure I have D9GKX chips on my memory modules

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  3. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

I saw a pic of an antec p182 and I see what you mean. Both the top and rear case fans are right there in the vicinity of where the CPU cooler would go... Maybe you could go with a large airy cooler in passive mode.

4. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

I am currently looking into termalright.

5. Kazeko

Kazeko Active Member

A good choice for air cooling, the Ultra 120 Extreme is.

Keeps my Q6600 in the low 30's at idle, mid 50's under load @ 450x8//3.6ghz, with two Aerocool Xtreme Turbine fans (Push/Pull config, 89CFM each.)

6. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

I got a new Zalman. Ready to give overclocking another go.

7. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Funkyfive, good to hear you’re back in action.

Before your CPU cooler problems, you wanted to know how you could speed up your memory. According to the wisdom here at DH (and elsewhere as well), your memory overclocking prospects are good if your memory modules have Micron D9xxx chips on them, but not so good if your modules don’t have these chips. So find out which chips are on your modules first.

You may be able to find this information at- DDR2 RAM List. If not, contact the manufacturer.

8. funkyfive

funkyfive New Member

Damn mine only have Promos chips.

9. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

10. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

yep, don't worry about the memory module IC's in use in your RAM, you already have the RAM with you.
    so should you decide to try overclocking it, i think you should go ahead and try.
    don't go buy new RAM just yet. who knows your RAM can be a very good overclock RAM as well.

11. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

See how far you can go with your modules’ timing spec of CAS 4-4-4-15 first.

Start off with a low FSB/CPU at stock DDR2 setting. 333x7x2.4 (2.3GHz/DDR800) would be a good choice. Disable C.I.A.2, set Performance Enhance to Turbo, and set DRAM timing and voltage to your modules’ spec. Leave the “Advanced Timing Control” settings on Auto.

Increase the FSB frequency 4 MHz to 337. This will raise your DDR frequency 10MHz to 810. Boot to Memtest86+ and run test #5 for 20 passes. If no errors, raise the FSB another 4MHz and repeat. Keep doing this until errors are reported.

Boot to windows with the best no-error setting achived with the Memtest86+ and test for stability in windows. Prime95v25.5 would be a good choice for this test with 2048 to 4096 FFT setting. This additional test is needed because a stable memory setting in Memtest86+ is not always stable in windows. If you get errors running Prime95, back off 1MHz on FSB (2.5DDR) and try again and repeat as necessary until you arrive at the setting which will produce no errors running Prime95 overnight.

Then you can proceed with finding out what your modules can do at more relaxed DRAM timing. Set it to 5-5-5-18 and start off with the FSB/multiplier setting of 333x7x3 (2.3GHz/DDR1000). Follow the steps for the 4-4-4-15 test above with adjustments considered for the increased memory multiplier (1MHz increase in FSB will raise the DDR frequency 3MHz not 2.5MHz as before).

Happy OCing.

12. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Funkyfive,

If your OC objective is to push your system to the limits, get some modules with D9 chips and a better CPU cooler. But if your aspirations are up to say... around 3.4 GHZ, you should be fine with your current hardware.

13. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Funkyfive,

If you are still running 400x7x2 setting, try bumping up the CPU ratio to 8 for 3.2GHz. In "Advanced BIOS Features", disable the C1E and EIST functions. In MIT, keep the Porformace Enhance to Turbo, set the DRAM timing to 4-4-4-15 (press Ctrl/F1 at the main BIOS screen or upgrade to F7 or later BIOS if you don't see these setting options), DDR Overvoltage to +.3 (per 2.1V per your memory modules' spec), and CPU voltage to 1.325 .

Happy OC'ing.

14. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Once you have the system running stable, loosen the DRAM timing to 5-5-5-18 and set the memory multiplier to 2.5 for DDR1000 (you haven’t posted your memory OC results but I am assuming your modules will run at least 1000 at 5-5-5-18). Compare the results with the earlier DDR 800 @ 4-4-4-15. On my system, 2.5x multiplier (4:5 FSB to DRAM ratio) yields the best results but I have seen posts that 2x multiplier(1:1) with a tight DRAM timing is better. I suggest that you draw your own conclusions for your system.

You can hit 3.2G with 356x9 as well and I invite you to try it because there are so many memory-setting variations that are possible: 2X (712) at 4-4-4-15 timing (try 3-3-3-12 first), 2.4X (854) at 4-4-4-15, 2.5X (890) at 4-4-4-15 if your modules can go there or else 5-5-5-18, 3X (1068) at 5-5-5-18, and so on. In the end, I believe you will conclude that a higher FSB is better, but more importantly and hopefully, you have gained a better understanding on memory settings such that you will know what to do on your future OC’s.

One more 3.2G setting: 457x7 which is what I am running at the time of this edit. I had to reduce the number of installed memory modules to 2. Just can't do it with 4 modules even with +.2V PCIe and +.3V NB & MCH. With 2 sticks, I am there with "normal" PCIe, NB and MCH voltages and the memory bandwidth is better than 444x8 (3.55G) ! I am into 1+ hr of Prime25.5 and so far so good.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  15. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Crashed after 4hrs (frozen screen). Raised PCIe, NB and MCH voltages to +.05, +.1 and +.1 respectively and much better: 8+ hrs on Prime25.5. The NB is running a quite a bit hotter now and to address the issue, I ordered a couple of fans for the NB cooler. While in mony spending mode, I felt appropriate to address the CPU cooling limitation of the Tuniq Tower which is currently on my system. I ordered a Thermaright U120E and a Delta 190CFM fan. I am hoping the improved cooling will let me go further.

16. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

just a few suggestion (that worked for me) and for you to try. for a stable running 4x1GB RAM, especially under a high FSB (above 450MHz) on the Gigabyte board, try using more CPU core-voltage than what you usually need to use when 2x1GB is in use. try adding 0.025V - 0.050V to core-voltage when using 4x1GB.

for the Q6600 overclocking at high FSB and 4x1GB RAM on your board, in order to get a prime stable you might have to add more volts to the FSB/MCH as well, try PCIe 101, PCIe +0.1 FSB +0.15 MCH +0.175.
    and for your HiperX try memory 2.0x (1:1) CAS4-4-4 2.1V-2.2V (even you can pass the memtesting with below 2.1V but you may not get a prime stable when using a lower voltage than 2.1V on the memory)

17. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

gave up running 4x1G above 450 FSB due to stability problems. Much happier running 2 sticks. I don't run any apps that require more than 2G of memory so this really isn't a sacrifice.

I will try 1:1 memory at CAS4 if I can't go higher with 4:5 CAS5 setting. On my system, 4:5 ratio will consistently result a higher memory bandwidth than 1:1 so I feel like I should keep it at 4:5 as long as it is within the modules' working range.

BTW 5:6 (2.4x) ratio has never been friendly on my system. It will run only with elevated DRAM subtimings. The performance Level (tRD) has to be set a notch or two higher than at 4:5. So I don't use this setting much.

18. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

ok then if you happy with 2 GB system then keep on using 4:5 CAS5-5-5.
    however, most of the newer BIOS's for my P35-DS4 that i have experience with are having problem with cold booting when using my HiperX PC2-9600 and at 4:5 now. so whenever you face this problem you may want to use 5:6.

19. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

Panging,

Looks like I could have saved some time If I heeded your recommendations.

I quickly ran into a dead end with the 4:5 setting as I pushed the FSB further. At 465FSB, the best I can do is 2.5Hrs on Prime at +.25, +3, +3 PCIe, NB and MCH voltages.

I am now running 1:1 at CAS4 as you suggested. It is so far 5+ hrs Prime stable at 2.2vDDR.

Thank you.

20. Pyongmu

Pyongmu New Member

It appears the best stable FSB I can achieve on my system at 7x CPU multi is 468 with PCIe, NB and MCH voltages limited to +.25, +.3, +.3 respectively. Not too bad considering the stock FSB for the CPU is 266.

I installed a Thermaright U120E and a 190 CFM Delta fan today and switched the CPU multi to 8. I am gonna hold it at 450 a day or two for the cooler to "seat in" before going further.