overclocking problem... psu maybe?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by soloz2, Oct 2, 2005.

1. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Hey, over the summer I tried to oc my cpu and it seemed to go strong. I had it oc'd to 2.2 from the 2.0 stock speed. I just had the stock cooling on it but it didn't seem to get more than a couple degrees hotter. it ran Prime95 without a hitch overnight and seemed to be running stable as a rock. But after a couple days I started getting voltage warnings when I would boot my system.
    I returned my system back to stock speeds and haven't messed with them since. I would however, like to try to oc again. I think it might be a psu problem that I faced before... can anyone shed some light on this? currently I just have the psu that came with my case (Aspire 500w) here are the specs:

AC INPUT
    115V/230V - 60/50Hz
    DC OUTPUT
    +3.3V
    +5V
    +12V
    -12V
    -5V
    +5VSB
    500W
    Max
    Combined
    Watts
    28A
    30A
    34A
    0.3A
    0.8A
    2.0A
    500W

If I need a new psu what would anyone recommend?
    I was wondering if oxz was any good... maybe the OCZ520ADJ?
    I was also looking at the Enermax EG701AX-VEW
    or possibly the Silverstone ST65ZF... but this one is a little more pricey.

Before I spend all this money on a new psu can anyone shed light on if I really need one? My specs are below.

I was also thinking about getting a better cpu cooler.... would like to go w/ water but I can prob only afford the tt big water se... any advice?

2. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

First off all the psu's you mentioned are quality units. Some others you might want to look at are Forton/Sparke/FSP/SPI as well as PC Power and Cooling, if you don't mind spending the money on the power supply.

And for the cpu cooler, don't waste the money on cheap watercooling, if you want better cooling either go with better water cooling or a good air HSF. A Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Scythe Ninja, Thermalright XP-120 and thier SI-120 are all better than the Big Water.

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

It wouldn't hurt to pick up a better PSU. Ugh..Thermal Take for water cooling. The only thing in my own opinion they make that is decent is some cases, and fans. I won't touch anything else made by them.

4. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Alright, thanks for the tips. I ran Asus probe for a while and monitored my voltages. I think I may have found the problem.... Everything looks good on my psu 3.3v is stable at 3.3 or 3.4, 12v runs about 12.2... however the 5v constantly runs at about 4.85v. None of them fluctuate much, but is this ok for the 5v rail? it seems low to me. What % should it be in?

I was looking at the PC Power & Cooling 510... it's SLI certified but the price is too steep for me. I was hoping to stay under $150.

Can anyone tell me anything about the OCZ psu?
    right now I think I'm leaning towards the Enermax, however some people on newegg were having problems with them... does anyone know if it was just a bad batch?

I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to though...

As far as cooling goes how would an artic freezer 64 work?

5. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

for the PSU you're mentioning, is that the OCZ PowerStream (i don't have my flashlight, so i don't can't read the model number off mine)? Best bang for the buck is the OCZ PowerStream PSU. it's basically the same quality as the PC P & C PSU, but lacking 2 amps on the 12v rail is basically the only difference as performance goes.

6. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Yes the OCZ is the Powerstream. I was actually thinking about getting it from Compusa because I have a giftcard from there http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=51401205&pfp=BROWSE
    however i did find that...tomshardware did a stress test and the 600w powerstream didn't pass
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/index.html
    So that's is why I am leaning towards the Enermax... esp since zipzoomfly has it for only 145 with free shipping.

does anyone know anything about the freezer 64 cooler?

7. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

The freezer 64 is an extremly good cooler for its cheap price, we have reviewed it here on DH check it out here
    And the Powerstream 520w is a excellent PSU, but you could always consider the MGE Magnum that we also reviewed recently: here

8. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Thanks for the input on good coolers and psu's. I've seen a lot more good about the OCZ powerstream then originally so it's back as a contender. My hesitation with it though is I don't think it has dual 12v rails as the other psu's I'm looking at do.

But I also want to jump back to my original question. Do you guys think my problem with oc'ing is due to my current psu? I won't argue with anyone that a new psu won't hurt and would be nice to have, but will it most likely fix my problem? I'd rather not spend 140-150 if I don't have to.

if my current psu only supplies 4.85v on the 5v rail how bad is that? and can I expect any other problems as a result?

I'm no expert on things like this...in fact I'm wishing that I would have gotten a better psu in may when I built this system. I would also like to thank everyone for their help so far. this has got to be one of the best forums I have found!

9. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

How are you measuring your rails? through software or with a multimeter? If its software, and is stable at 4.85V, then i wouldn't worry about it because chances are its just being read wrong.

Dual 12V rails isn't always the answer. Having two seperate rails often hinders high overclocks because the 15A or whatever the PSU might have really isn't enough. I've seen times where people upgrade from their 600watt powerstream to a 520watt powerstream, and have had better cpu overclocks.

10. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

I am using Asus probe to measure my voltages. both my 3.3v and 12v are dead on where they should be and all 3 rails seem to be solid.

hmm... I was under the impression that dual 12v rails was just about always better. Can you tell me more?

11. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Woot, I just noticed that I am now a Jr member... Just a couple days ago I was a noob.
    And btw... thanks for the quick responses as always!

12. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

With dual 12V rails, 1 rail is dedicated for the motherboard and cpu, while the other is for hard drive, videocard, and fans. All of those combined do not require near as much as the motherboard. So the rail that the motherboard uses might have insufficient power, while the one for the accesories has too much.

There are good Dual 12V rail PSU's outthere, that have high enough rails for the motherboard to not hinder overclocks at all. However they are very expensive (i.e PC P&C 850SSI and high end Zippy's).

13. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

So without paying 200+ for a psu a single 12v rail would actually be better if I want to oc?
    I've heard good things about the enermax... would that one work well enough or would the ocz one be better?
    the ocz has 33a on 12v rail and the enermax had 18a on each of the 12v rails.
    either would be more than what I currently have.
    Would it be better to get the ocz (it doesn't have pfc either) or the enermax
    I do have 2 hd, 2 dvd burners, several case fans and black lights...
    I like the fact that the enermax is a 600w instead of 520w and that it is sli certified... even though I use 2 6600gt's and they don't require the pcie power if I ever want to upgrade it would be nice to have.

14. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Personally i'd go with the OCZ Powerstream. Although there is nothing wrong with enermax. My last psu was an enermax noisetaker 485w psu, and it was damn quiet :)

15. CDsDontBurn

my last PSU was also a 485 Enermax Noisetaker, and i didn't like it for OCing one bit. the dual 12v rails weren't feeding my CPU enough juice to keep my system powered long enough to complete any benchmarks. When i upgraded to my OCZ 520w PowerStream, i was able to increase the voltage on my CPU higher than i was able to w/my old Enermax, and still be rock solid. My OCZ was probably the best upgrade i've ever done to my rig

16. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

hmm... that's good to know. I guess I'm not planning on doing any serious overclocking... right now my cpu is a modist 2.2 from 2.0 stock with stock cooling. I may take it up a bit more but not until I get a new psu and a new cooler. I'd also like to oc my video cards, but not before I change out their coolers as well. so for my system you guys would go with the ocz over the enermax even though the specs on the enermax seem to be higher?

17. CDsDontBurn

i would say take the OCZ. i mean, i like enermax, but for overclocked rigs, i don't think that they make the best PSUs for overclocking IMO.

18. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

hmm... well I'll look into it some more.. prices and all. Anyone else have any suggestions?

btw... I like your car CDs... I sent u a message about it.

19. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

20. CDsDontBurn

newegg is the only place i'd buy stuff online from. but, the only way to get over fear, is to beat it w/a big stick.....or deep pockets :p