overclocking problem... psu maybe?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by soloz2, Oct 2, 2005.

1. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Has anyone made a purchase from monarch computers before? I'd really like to know from someone on here...but I don't want to start a new thread so people would be more likely to see it... that just clutters the forum...:confused:

2. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

3. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

ya newegg is wrong.

4. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

so is the sli (2 pcie cords) the only difference between the regular and sli versions?

5. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

6. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

alright thanks for the help. My only concern is that if I spend money on this ocz psu that I won't really gain anything.
    my current psu puts out this:
    +3.3V@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@34A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2A
    the ocz does this:
    +3.3V(28A),+5V(40A), +12V(33A)
    The ocz psu has 1 less amp on the 12v rail... where it seems it would count the most. Who cares if the 5v rail has more... the cpu takes power of the 12v rail right?

now I know ocz is better quality then aspire... but just looking at the specs it doesn't seem like I would be going anywhere... it'd be 140 spend w/o much gain. Am I wrong in thinking this?

7. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Hey can anyone shed some more light on the ocz psu? Also I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Antec NeoHE 550.

I've been having some troubles with my ram and corsair said that it is probably psu related...

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i can only give info on the OCZ seeing as i own one :p.

the OCZ 520w PowerStream puts out 33a on the 12v rail, and it has adjustable 12v rails where you can increase the voltage on the 3.3v, the 5v, and the 12v rails. So if you see your voltage dropping on one or more of the rails, you can physically increase the voltage to gain you some stability :).

9. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Well, I've been looking around at psu's and the ocz does sound like a good unit. I have also been thinking about a Silverstone St-60F (600w modular based on the zeus psu) or the St-65ZF (Zeus) I have also looked at a Seasonic S-12 600w. All these power supplies seem to have very good ratings.
    The reason I'm interested in the Antec is because it is not very expensive, had 3 12v rails with 18a on each which I figure should be enough to still get a modest oc. is rated at 50 degrees and is supoer quiet. I just can't find any reviews about it. I know that it's new so probably not many people have it yet but if anyone has seen a review I would be much appreciated.

10. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Id skip on the Antec PSU, they are good but not as good as they use to be. The Seasonic is a very good PSU, and very quiet and efficient.

11. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

The seasonic S12-600 is about 160 on newegg does anyone know someplace that has it cheaper?

12. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Oh well, I ordered the Seasonic S12-600 from newegg. I hope to have it for this weekend. The only think I don't like about this psu is that the cables aren't sleeved... maybe I'll see what I can do on my own sometime. I hope this gives me more stable power!

13. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Its a very good power supply, you won't be dissapointed. Sleeved cables aren't that bad, easier to route i think.

14. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Do you know a good place to get cable sleeving from? Is it hard to do? I looked at a couple reviews and it looks like it will take forever.

15. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Opps i meant unsleeved cables aren't that bad. I find it a big hassle to sleeve them. Definately the ATX motherboard cable. I did it once, won't bother doing it again.

16. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

6 hours for me

17. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

did you use a kit or just buy the sleeving by length? Do you have to take all the plugs off to fit the sleeving on, or will it slide over the smaller plugs? Will it work to just put shrink wrap around where the wires come out of the psu so I don't have to open the case anf voide the warranty?

18. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

you will need to take off the connectors, that is why it is a pain. Definately the ATX connector, you need to remove 24 pins, and put them back in the same order...

and i a kit and extra tubing. The kit was vantec i think, and it even came with a molex remover tool. The kit was cheaper than just a male molex tool, and the one in the kit worked for everything.

19. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

sounds good. I'm trying to convince my brother to let me sleeve his psu so I can practice on his and figure everything out on his. That way if I screw up I'd only have to replace a cheap 350w psu instead of my Seasonic :)

20. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Well I was trying to get my memory to run at tighter timings and they passed memtest at the specified timings, but windows wasn't stable so I thought i'd try a reinstall of windows. So I spent all day reconfiguring my RAID array adn installing windows just to find out it didn't work. And now for some reason Asus probe is reading that my 12v rail is full of ripples just like my old psu. :-( I'm really at my wits end. This morning it was rock steady.