overclocking problem... psu maybe?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by soloz2, Oct 2, 2005.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

well, i just noticed something.....in your sig, you say you have your CPU OCed to 2.4Ghz. Is this true as we speak right now? If so, bring down your OC back down to stock specs, or increase the voltage on your CPU by like 0.5v and then run your memory back at the specified timings of 2-3-3-6 1T. If it works fine, then the whole time you've been having problems has been because your CPU has been unstable.

2. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Well yes my cpu has been oc'd well most of the time, but I don't think it's my cpu. It's my memory because I was able to obtain a higher oc without increasing the voltages with looser memory timings. Also, yesterday when I tried the specified timings of my memory after reinstalling windows I tried it both with my cpu oc'd to 2.4 and with it running at stock speeds. Running at stock speeds actually crashed in less time then it took to crash when my cpu was oc'd.

3. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Alright, now I'm really at my wits end. Now I can't even run prime95 when my system isn't oc'd and I get hardware failures. I know it's not temps. my cpu idles around 30 oc'd and 29 stock. load temps are only up to about 40. my motherboard temps are about 35. I haven't increased voltages on anything but my memory and that is still well within warranty coverage. Well I think I'll run memtest again. I've had a feeling it was my memory all along maybe now it till finally fail.

4. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

My memory still passes memtest. I get hardware failures when I try to run my memory at 1T even on loose timings of 3-3-3-8. I had to switch back to 2T. The only thing that changed from when I was able to run them at 3-3-3-6 1T was I switched my psu. and all the sudden it has ripples all over the 12v rail. would this cause this to happen? I'm really frustrated at this point.

5. CDsDontBurn

hmm....that is weird. at this point in time, the only thing i would say could do to eliminate the memory or CPU is to get some other memory (like from a friend or something) or buy some new memory if possible.

6. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Yeah, well I was actually thinking about buying some new memory... same model and trying it out if it works, just rma'ing the old memory. I'm not sure. It would kill two birds w/ one stone but I'd prob feel a little guilty for doing that. As far as cpu goes.... I don't know anyone who has a socket 939 cpu.

Since my psu has started to have ripples in the 12v rail should I rma it?

And thanks for all the help so far.

7. CDsDontBurn

well, you've been saying "ripples". what do you mean exactly? is the 12v rail fluxuating or what?

As far as figuring out what to do, i'm starting to run out of ideas myself. i've already told you everything that i would have done. so now i'm kinda out of ideas myself now =\.

guess, i'm not that great a troubleshooter i thought i was :(

8. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

lol, well yeah I do mean fluctuating. Asus Probe is monitoring my voltages, temps and fan speeds and when I first got it there was no fluctuation at all. Then all the sudden it started to fluctuate. The graph looks like there are little ripples in it instaed of a straight line. It usually keeps somewhere around 11.712 to 11.762. Actually it tends to jump from one to the other thus the ripple effect in the graph. Since I posted about, 4 hours ago, it has dipped down far enough to set of the alarm indicating that it went outside of the 5% tolerances of the psu twice. So basically the 12v rail isn't keeping within it's tolerances. Since it did this I'm pretty much decided that it needs to be rma'd.

The memory, probably needs to be rma'd too. The only other thing I can even think about doing would be to switch the dimms around to the other set of slots to see if that clears anything up. My hesitation with rma'ing them is that I don't have any replacement memory modules to keep me going while they are gone.

Corsair did suggest that the memory controller in the cpu might be at fault. at first I discredited this because I have a Venice core, but at this point I'm wondering if there just might be something wrong w/ my processor. Do you know of any tests that are mainly just for the processor?

9. CDsDontBurn

corsair may be correct about the memory controller having gone faulty. Try to get some different memory to see if this holds true.

As far as your PSU goes, i would go from what your BIOS says. it's more accurate than some windows based program giving you the voltage readings. Make sure that you have the most recent BIOS available for your MoBo, as it can give out more accurate readings on voltages, temps, and give you other additional features.

10. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

I have bios 1013 for my motherboard. I think they just came out with a new version a couple days ago so I'll probably look into that.

I am using Asus Probe to monitor the voltages, which I believe gets the measurments from the bios. (voltages, fan speed and temperature) It's an Asus thing. So my voltage measurements should be fairly close. I contacted newegg for an RMA.

For the different memory would it necessarily have to be differnet memory all together like different make/model or could it be the same as I have now? Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2?

If it's not the memory then It would have to be either my motherboard or my processor. I wonder if it would be possible to tell w/o actually buying a new motherboard or processor to try...

11. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Ok, before this goes any farther I just want to double check my bios settings. I think I have everything right, but just to make sure here is what my memory runs by default and what they should be to have timings of 2.5-3-3-6

Default:

Timing mode Manual
    Memclock index value 400Mhz
    Cas# Latency (Tcl) 3
    Min Ras# active time (Tras) 8T
    Ras# to CAs# delay (Trcd) 3T
    Row precharge Time (Trp) 3T
    Row Cycle Time (Trc) 11T
    Row refresh cycle time (Trfc) 14T
    Read-To-Write time (Trwt) 5T
    Write recovery time (Twr) 3T
    1T/2T Memory timing 2T
    S/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping Enabled
    H/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping Enabled

voltage 2.7v

What it shoudl be:

Timing mode Manual
    Memclock index value 400Mhz
    Cas# Latency (Tcl) 2.5
    Min Ras# active time (Tras) 6T
    Ras# to CAs# delay (Trcd) 3T
    Row precharge Time (Trp) 3T
    Row Cycle Time (Trc) 11T
    Row refresh cycle time (Trfc) 14T
    Read-To-Write time (Trwt) 5T
    Write recovery time (Twr) 3T
    1T/2T Memory timing 1T
    S/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping Enabled
    H/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping Enabled

I have tried both 2.75 and 2.8v

OK, I just wanted to put all that down to make sure that I am doing things exactly right.

12. CDsDontBurn

yea dude, everything you're doing is right. the memory is rated for 2-3-3-6 1T, but it's not doing that. at best, you're getting 2.5-3-3-6 2T. something is definatley up w/your hardware. Corsair may be right about the memory controller on the CPU having gone faulty.

13. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Well, I just thought I'd add an update to how things are going. I rma'd my Seasonic psu... but I wasn't really paying attention and just shipped it fedex ground... NY to CA takes a good week. :( I switched back to my Aspire just to run some more tests. I tried my memory in different slots and one at a time, but to no avail. Corsair said that they would rma my memory for me so I got a number and prepared to go w/o a computer for a few days. Then came what might be a break. Someone on the AMD forum said they had a similar problem with their 3800+, they rma'd it and it fixed the problem. So i called AMD, told them my problem they said to ship my processor to them, they'd run tests on it and call me with the results before shipping it back to me. So thursday I took my processor and memory to fedex. This time I was smart and shipped them 3 day. sadly, $22. later I had a mere $2 left. I hate being a poor college student... being married doesn't help at all either! :mad:
    So, now I'm stuck using my crappy laptop, which goes about this fast...:sleep:. it's an IBM A30 1Ghz PIII, 512mb ram (upgraded from 256) 30 gig hd, and 16mb radeon mobility graphics. Oh, and a battery that lasts just long enough to walk from one end of my apartment to the other and plug it back in again.

So, with my desktop being down, I decided to make a few improvements. I started by ordering some plue uv sleeving, blue heatshrink and a cheap little plastic molex pin remover from frozencpu.com. I love that place, I just found it... but it's only an hour away so I can choose the cheap usps shipping and I get it next day!

I also decided to lap my thermaltake big typhon. I lapped it when I first got it, but I was kinda in a hurry and excited to try it out so I didn't get it to a mirror finish. It was fairly smooth though, so the second time it only took me an hour and a half. (I think it took me 3-4 hours the first time because thermaltake is not known for their ultra smooth heatsink bases...)

I've got some pictures, but I'm not quite sure exactly how to add them. It wouldn't let me do it through the manage attachments deal. how small do the files have to be? I made the pictures smaller, and at a lower quality suitable for email... but I think they might still be too big for here. if anyone helps, I'd be more than happy to post some pics.[​IMG]

14. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Well thanks to CDsDontBurn I now know how to post pics.

Here is what my rig basically looked like

[​IMG][/url][/img]

[​IMG][/url][/img]

it is a little messier than normal because I had to play a bit to get my tt big typhon out. I also had to put my Aspire psu back in so I didn't run those wires too carfully.

The first thing I did was to sleeve the case fans that are readily visible. Here are some before and after pics:

[​IMG][/url][/img]

[​IMG][/url][/img]

[​IMG][/url][/img]

Next, I sleeved the cables for my uv cold cathodes. I couldn't get the plugs off, even witha needle and the plugs were too big to fit my heatshrink over so I had to just use zip ties. It's a good thing I have lots of little pink zip ties that also happen to be uv sensitive that look really good next to the blue!

Again, some before and after:

[​IMG][/url][/img]

[​IMG][/url][/img]

I had some more sleeving so I sleeved the usb cables going to the headers on my mobo, and the firewire cable too. Again, I couldn't get the plug off and my shrink wrap wouldn't fit over the plugs so I had to use more zip ties. I think the heatshrink looks much better though, maybe I'll get some bigger stuff later.

At this point I used up all the sleeving I bought. 10' of 1/4" and 5' of 3/8". So I had to stop. I would have liked to keep going, but it doesn't matter much because most of the other cables you can see will all be hidden behind my drive cages.

[​IMG][/url][/img]

So, here is what the finished product looks like. I don't have everything together yet as I am still waiting on my Seasonic psu, processor and RAM... but I'll try to get a pic of everything together once I'm done. I don't think I'm going to sleeve my psu just yet, but maybe over christmas break. I'm thinking uv green, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be game to hear them.

I also need to get round ata cables... but I'm never sure if they actually have 80 wires or just 40 so I'm too scared to buy them... lol.

Since I still had some time, I decided to lap my heatsink and try to get a mirror shine. I didn't take too many pics of this, but I do have an end one to show you.

I started with 600 grit, then went to 800, 1000, 1500, and finally 2000. I did each grit twice before moving on, using a new piece of sandpaper each time. (I found that I got a better finish this way)

[​IMG][/url][/img]

[​IMG][/url][/img]

Well, that's what I've done. Let me know what you guys think. I like the way it's turned out so far. When I get my parts back and get her put back together I'll try to take a picture with the blacklights on. Hopefully, my problem was either with my memory or my processor. I don't know if I can handle rma'ing my mobo. I'll never have my desktop back!

15. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Woot! [​IMG] I finally got my RAM and cpu back!!! I'm excited. I'll get to put my desktop back together tonight. The only thing is I have to work till 9:oops:

AMD said my processor was fine. they ran it for 19 hours w/ the same memory I have at 1T command rate w/o any problems...

Corsair never said anything about what they found. I assume they found something wrong w/ my RAM because they sent me v5.2 instead of v4.2 like I had. I really really hope when i get everything put together it runs like it should!

Oh, Corsair also screwed up in the shipping. Instead of shipping it back to me UPS 3 day like they were supposed to they shipped ground. i called and complained today, the lady said they would send me some free stuff like a hat or something cheesy like that... but hey, it's better than nothing.

btw... does anyone know the difference in the different versions of memory? I have Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2PT (2x512Mb) Each piece of memory says CMX512-3200C2PT. Here is a pic of my old memory it's version 4.2 the new stuff is version 5.2.

[​IMG]

16. CDsDontBurn

it's just a newer version of the same memory you have. could be some minor differences. i dunno what exactly though

17. soloz2

soloz2 New Member

Yeah, I know it's just a newer version. I was just curious what exactly was changed. I was wondering if there was some incombatability with the version and my mobo or if there was something wrong with my RAM. Whatever the case evidently there was something becuase Corsair sent me different stuff.

It appears to to working. I first put the memory in and ran it at the default timings of 3-3-3-8 2T for a while and everything worked. I then switched the command rate to 1T. It ran for a couple hours running steam and prime95 while I was out. I changed the timings to 2.5-3-3-6 1T now and so far so good. I've never been able to run this stable at 1T before :)

If it looks stable I'll probably try to OC again. I may have to loosen up the timings back to 3-3-3-8 to keep it with 1T @ 240MHz. I'll see. I should be able to get at least that high, cause my old RAM could do that no sweat.