Overdrive problem with 4.11 & 4.12 X800 Pro

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Leekay07, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Leekay07

Leekay07 New Member

I wonder if anyone else has tried running the overdrive feature on there cards. I enabled it on 4.12 and it produced a currupt display my heart dropped and I thought I had ruined my card. So I rolled back to 4.11 and still the same I was so sure the card was toast so I got an RMA to return it. I read here about glitches which I had not had. But I rolled back to 4.10 and hey it works fine. So now I ask have you tried and does anyone know how to fix it.

2. Zebra

Zebra New Member

The X800 Pro card does not support overdrive. Only the XT models do.

3. Furious_T

Furious_T New Member

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the X800Pro does not have the temperature sensor on board like the XT cards. Therfore it will not support the Overdrive.

4. Leekay07

Leekay07 New Member

It does support Overdrive.
    4.10 driver
    [​IMG]
    4.11 driver
    [​IMG]
    4.12 driver
    [​IMG]

5. Zebra

Zebra New Member

Must be a fluke in the driver. If this is a X800Pro VIVO board, it may very well have the sensor. Though, the driver will not usually activate overdrive unless it sees an XT BIOS in the card.

6. celica

celica New Member

that is samething happen to me , when i turn on the overdrive ,and when i cold boot,sometime has currupt display,but i am sure that is a sensor in the x800pro,cause u can see the temp moving.that only happen to 4.11 and 4.12beta.

7. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

THe x800 pro has NEVER offically supported over drive.... They did have it with the beta drivers that shipped with alot of cards but was removed in the officals...

ever since then alot of x800 pros lost over drive
    over drive is a feature of XT's only........

it's called marketing, why people will pay the extra money just to get an xt if a pro has all the same features? they wouldn't....

8. cswiger

cswiger New Member

You may well be right for some x800 Pro cards, but this is not true of all of them. I have an x800 Pro from Visiontek which has a working temperature sensor-- the card heats up after a few hours of CoD or whatever to maybe 51-52C. After I quit the game, I can watch the card cool back down to 44C over the course of a minute or two.

I got the card very early on when they first went on sale, so maybe some of the early x800 Pro cards are basicly the same as XT cards, only with 4 of the 16 pipelines disabled. While I suppose it would be interesting to see whether reflashing my card with an XT BIOS image would gain anything, I'd rather enjoy what I have now rather than take the chance of killing my card. As it stands now, I can still turn on something like 16x aniso/4x AA, run in 1280x1024, and get 70+ FPS from almost everything I play.

So what would I gain from trying to tweak my x800 Pro to an XT beyond bragging rights? :)

Anyway, I hate to disagree with Neon Cowboy, but I'm going to have to since I've had overdrive available in official Catalyst drivers, including 4.10 and 4.11. I don't have a screenshot of them handy the way Leekay07 did, but I did make one showing OD in 4.12b here:

http://www.pkix.net/~chuck/HL2/od.jpg

9. jds1

jds1 X800pro

over drive

well my buil by ati x800 pro has overdrive. it has always had it in any of the driver sets.

10. Leekay07

Leekay07 New Member

OK I ran aquamark and watched the temp rise to 56 and then wall back to 38. SO yes it works.

11. Leekay07

Leekay07 New Member

I did some bench marks with aquamark 3

4.10 - 52.16
    4.11 - 59.21
    4.12 - 62.31

WOW.

12. Hilco

Hilco New Member

hehe have this problem also with my 9600xt, kinda sucks:(

13. Furious_T

Furious_T New Member

I stand corrected!!:p Very odd though.....I do not have the Overdrive tab in CCC with the 4.12b drivers but when I rolled back to my 4.10 drivers with the standard ATI control panel the OD is present.:wtf: It seems that there is a working temp sensor on my X800Pro and the OD works!!.....I wonder why this option is not in my 4.12b CCC? Very odd. Here is a link to ATI concerning the overdrive and it seems to lean only to the XT cards. http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/overdrive.html

14. aniv

aniv New Member

chit :((((( i had one of the early ATI X800 Pro's exact same problem yday with 4.11 and 4.12.. i thought the card was fubr.. replaced it at the store for a new one.. wish i had seeen this problem earlier..now with 4.11 drivers the overdrive tab doesnt appear? how was it showing the option with memory clock and temperature changes in the old card?

15. jds1

jds1 X800pro

overdrive

well with the 4.11 and the 4.12b drives i still had the overdrive tab with my X800pro. maybe terry could lookinto it for us to see if the X800pro does have the overdrive enabled on them through the drives.and if they dont then my card might a x800xt clocked down to a x800pro.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  16. Leekay07

Leekay07 New Member

I mailed terry he was pretty snotty with his responce to me asking why on earth I would mail him about it. He kindly pointed out I should direct my corispondence to ATI's customer support line who I had contacted who told me to disable fastwrite and pump up my card voltage to 1.7V and then retry. Then told me my card was faulty. Umm how can it be faulty when I am not the only one with this issue. The Tech also stated that the overdrive feature should be enabled on X800 Pro. If its a Built by ATI. Mines a powered by but still they are built to specific standards. My card manufacturer states it should work and that its a driver issue not a card quality issue.

17. Bodhammer

Bodhammer New Member

I am having the EXACTLY same problem - see this thread:

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?p=499683#post499683

My card is a Visiontek X800 Pro:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  18. Dave

Dave New Member

yeah i mensioned this to catalyst maker in the 4.12 driver thread. he was a little surprised to see a x800 pro with overdrive

19. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Working here perfectly with all builds of omega and catylist drivers.

running PowerColor Pro None VIVO model.

20. Bodhammer

Bodhammer New Member

The new 4.12 release notes mention Overdrive 3 - is this different than what is in the 4.12b? Anyone having this problem try the 4.12 release drivers?