Paradise lost? NASA probes to scan Venus for signs of Earth-like past

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Was Venus always a poison-shrouded inferno, or was it an Earth-like world that went to hell?

That’s the question that NASA hopes to answer within the next decade, when it will send two probes to visit our smoking-hot planetary neighbour that’s not named Mars.

The spacecraft, dubbed Veritas and Davinci+, will be tasked with scanning the surface of the planet and the composition of the thick clouds that surround it, NASA said in an announcement on Wednesday. The goal is to determine whether the planet’s surface is composed of tectonic plates like our own, and whether it once hosted liquid oceans.

Such discoveries would support the theory that Venus was the first habitable world in the solar system, before it became the nightmare it is today.

arb65912, SpaceJac111 and Trusteft like this.
  2. SpaceJac111

SpaceJac111 New Member

I stick to the theory that Venus was a habitable land, but then something went wrong and it became an embodiment of Hell. I heard that the same outcome can wait for our Earth. These missions are very useful not only for the exploration of Venus but for our Earth as well. I also advocate for using imagers for taking high-quality photos of this planet to explore it. I suppose some startups won't mind working on such a project, and Dragonfly Aerospace among them. Here's the company's website if someone is interested in this company.

arb65912 likes this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

The current models point to earth and venus having swapped places through planetary migration, much like how jupiter, saturn, neptune and uranus have shifted around. They've ran the simulations and have plotted past and present and future and it shows that even with 1 or 2 additional planets that were in the solar system before, planetary migration always happens in every solar system even with only one suitable large mass star at the center.

Venus at one point or perhaps several points was most closely in line with earth's orbit and earth was in venus's most potentially. They expect that earth and venus will shift again in i think half a billion years or less.

arb65912 and SpaceJac111 like this.
  4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Hmm, considering
    Never heard of this before. Any specific source?

arb65912 likes this.
  5. Trusteft

With temperatures above 400C on the surface, I don't see how they can have an easy way of finding anything relevant.
    If there is anything, it's going to be deep.

arb65912 and SpaceJac111 like this.
  6. SpaceJac111

SpaceJac111 New Member

I never heard Venus switched places with Earth. Venus just started to spin slower and nothing more.

arb65912 likes this.
  7. Judas

ah.... nope.

Feel free to delve into the wonderful realms of gravitational impacts and orbits of planets as well as suns (both singular and binary or more)

More modern simulations place saturn/neptune/uranus and specially jupiter in various different orbits throughout the solar systems lifespan. The theory that planets formed and remained where they are right now has been overwhelmingly debunked. The problem is that they don't entirely know for sure what order and in which manner things have changed, but the fact remains they know unequivocally that there is no way the started out how they are now and they have ran simulations in which they will migrate furthermore, of which numerous show earth having a decaying orbit due to gravitational impacts among others, and that venus will get slingshot into earths orbit. They also have a VERY good indication that our solar system initially was comprised of a dozen or more planets that would indeed fall within that designation, not as plutoids.

arb65912 likes this.
  8. Trusteft

Again, any reputable source for this?

arb65912 likes this.
  9. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I second the request. It would be a nice read. @Judas

10. Judas

literally fire up google and start with planetary migration, from there you can find copious numbers of scientific studies and some of the super computer simulations. Most of my information is gained through numerous videos from the likes of curiosity stream and various other scientifically oriented sources that provide documented sources. OF the literal thousands of videos i watch, the solar system's planetary migration is discussed at length in a few of them of which there are occasionally updates as the understanding of how planets form among countless other cosmic objects and phenomena.

To try and pluck a single article out of the past decade, wouldn't have a clue where to start.

MOST of this is based on what has been discovered with kepler and numerous other scientific instruments in that last decade, it's based on what has been discovered and the countless 10's of thousands of hours invested in better understanding how planets have ended up where they have and what manner of ways they got there. Kepler really started throwing wrenches into the prior understandings of things, and it's just the one tool among 100's currently in use today.

Either way, as i said, it's been basically stated, that planets simply cannot form and remain where they initially do, the various masses are just way too unstable and the orbits are most certainly, jupiter sized planets typically form on the outside since that's where most of the stellar mass is to be gobbled up and as it gains mass, it slows and migrates inward, often eating up other smaller planets that form closer, the only way this is often prevented is with other large planets with sufficient mass to basically keep such huge planets on a leash, this however still doesn't prevent it from moving, but rather just provide some level of control.

Various hypothesises are forming but the general modern accepted theory since the original proposed one was blown to chunks, is that planets through countless millions of years, get slingshotted inward or thrown out, and often both occur at the same time due to one fast body getting pulled back while the slower body get pulled forward. If saturn, specially saturn wasn't around, it's almost certain that our solar system would have been a 4 or less lifeless system if i recall the last simulation.

arb65912 likes this.
  11. Trusteft

So, any reputable source of this? Link?

arb65912 likes this.
  12. Judas

you're not getting one from me

arb65912 likes this.
  13. Trusteft

SHOCKED!

arb65912 and Tyrsonswood like this.
  14. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I guess we get back to Google search. :)