Parhelia=Too little too late

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by reno, Jun 27, 2002.

1. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

Tom Pabst's review of the Matrox Parhelia is a sad testament to matrox's inability to keep up with the times...

In every test, not only did the Geforce4 4600 (priced 10 dollars lower) win the performance crown, it also won the quality crown, the antialiasing speed crown (fragment AA in the matrox only AAed very little, and only looked any good in Quake3), and the anistropic filtering speed crown (performing slightly better, with 64tap filtering compared to 32bit filtering.). I'm sorry, but the matrox was just over hyped, and won't magically jump 2000 points in 3dmark to overtake the Ge4 4600 in 4x/4xfragment +64tap/32tap anio filtering. I'd rather buy a radeon 8500 than this, it's about 1.5 times faster with the same quality settings.

Boo matrox!

2. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

All I'm sayin is: wait till the official retail release to form opinions.

3. Doomtrooper

Doomtrooper Driverheaven Senior Member

I totally disagree, for one the review is Borsti from Rivastation a Nvidia fan site webmaster, so I have some problems with that review.
    Fragment AA is by far suprior in IQ in everyway vs multisampling and I hope future chipsets support this form of AA. The problem is the game needs to support the feature and not alot of the current games will YET.
    There is no blurring with FAA at all, unlike multisampling.

A much better review is here, IMO a very good debut for beta drivers and superio IQ.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=parhelia128&page=1&cookie_test=1&bhcp=1

4. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

sa

So the $399 Parhelia outperforms the $389 Geforce4 4600 by about 2fps at max quality, but loses out by 3000 3dmarks at 1600x1200.

I also like how at max quality the Parhelia performs about on par with a 130 dollar Geforce3 ti200. Or how it performs almost exactly like a Geforce3 ti500 in JK2 max quality. 5 fps slower in max quality than Ge4 4600...the Geforce4 4200 like performance with max quality in Codecreatures benchmark...John Carmack (programming god) saying it performs under a radeon 8500/geforce 4 in doom 3...not to mention at defaults it totally gets CREAMED by the likes of Geforce 3 ti200, CREAMED. This new 256bit memory and Quad vertex shader array really kicks the CRAP out of everything! I love MATROX! I ALSO LOVE PLANTS!

Great card, great drivers! Excellent way to spend 400 dollars! It could have totally kicked the crap out of anything released 2 years ago!

5. Doomtrooper

Doomtrooper Driverheaven Senior Member

I look at it this way Reno, when was the last time Matrox released a card faster than any of the players...ATI, NVIDA etc..

6. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

This card is not meant to be a pure gamers card. It is geared toward digital artists and such who need the best visual quality available, but also want to play games as well. It's not meant to be a GF4 killer. Instead, it is a solution for those who need both quality and speed. I think the compromise works pretty well.

7. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

I don't know how to defend Parhelia, really. I want to, but I can't. My first instinct is to say that Matrox never has aimed to sell a lot of cards to enthusiasts. Their claim to fame has always been superb image quality and it is for that reason that their sales have primarily been in the business sector.

It's easy to say "Matrox doesn't make gamers cards! Parhelia isn't supposed to compete with the GF4" -- but the sad fact of the matter is, well, Parhelia is supposed to be a gamers' card. You don't add vertex shaders and a massive memory pipe and all that jazz to a business user's card. It's obvious Matrox was TRYING to make a gamer's card -- a GeForce Killer. And, really, they failed.

That being said, I remain optimistic. Image Quality is a rising concern among gamers and if you've ever used a Matrox card, you know they know quality. Add to that fact 10-bit color. And Matrox's brand of AA (Fragment), which, from what I have seen, makes for some beautifully unjaggied screenshots. Parhelia produces a pretty picture. Wait for some driver updates*. Wait for some maturity. And, above all else, wait for a price drop. Then and only then will this be a card to consider.

---

* Try to remember how much new drivers helped the Radeon 8.5K! This used to be a card that couldn't compete with the GF3s -- now it's widely considered a decent competitor for the low end GF4Ti.

8. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Actually, 10 bit color isn't too useful. It won't even work with Doom III, due to the 2 bit alpha channel crap associated with making 10 bit channels for the other colors.

9. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

Re:

Yeah, we all buy our cards to ultimately play Doom 3 and nothing else. :rolleyes:

10. //.\\//.\\

//.\\//.\\ A.K.A sCoTcH

3dmark can kiss my ***, everyone knows it is optimized for Nvidia. :mad: :uhoh:

11. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Re:

I'm gonna base my next purchase on the fastest card for UT2003 about 3 months after the game retails.
    Its the game I'm gonna be playing the most and I have no brand loyalty - unlike alot of you religious zealots out there ;) But I am hoping that the R300 will be launched/available by then

12. edperks

edperks Life is Good

I dont care what kind of benchmarks it has in Madonion, I like to play games without low FPS and with good IQ if this cards does that better than the rest, then I will buy one if not I will wait for the next card. Im not worried about loyaltys either uberlord I buy what is the fastest at the time when Im ready for a new card. From what I heard though the R300 is going to be the shit for about 6 months.