Pc being a deliberate pain in the rear...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by FluffythePink, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Just to chime in, did you try Judas' suggestion about the Crossfire cable? As mentioned AMD has allowed a "soft" interlink through the PCIE bus, so the Crossfire cable wasn't always necessary (I do recall some drawbacks though, but I can't recall to what degree... speed I think). To that end what I would suggest as a trial:

- shutdown the computer, and pull the Crossfire cable. If you don't have both cards installed, do so, but don't hook up the Crossfire cable.
    - reboot the machine, go into the bios, and (if I recall) under "Peripherals" set "Initial Display Output" so that it says "PCIe 1". Save, and reboot.

If it works Windows should see both cards. If it does this would indicate an issue with the Crossfire cable. If it doesn't however, at this point I'd be looking at the power supply.

2. FluffythePink

FluffythePink New Member

Hi Tipstaff and thanks
    Yes I have tried all the things you have suggested.
    And have checked the PSU and that is functioning correctly.
    As I have said before this exact same set up was working fine and at some point it stopped working, that is why I believe it to be a windows update issue as no matter what I try and I have tried everything suggested in this thread and more windows simply will not recognise or install the second card.

3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Well, like I said, if you are going to upgrade, just use one card, and wait till the RTX 3000 Series comes out, as well as the new Ryzen processors.

4. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

When we say check the PSU... we mean, if you can, swap out the PSU for another one... Just because it is "functioning correctly" does not mean it is not failing. Anyway, if you have been able to swap out the PSU to test and I am just mis-reading things I apologize.

QB

Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  5. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

^This.

A PSU can be providing insufficient current, they can fail all at once, or gradually, especially after being used for a long time.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i honestly don't think it's PSU.. i think it's likely mainboard/chipset