PC freezes - starforce possibly..after a format????!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by ptsigas, Nov 21, 2008.

1. ptsigas

ptsigas New Member

Hello everyone! been here for a long time and I trust everyones contributions!

Well I have been having this bad issue with my dvd rom where anytime i place a dvd or cd in it (no matter what it is) at some point the pc freezes (then i have to shutdown and reboot).

I have no virus', I am not overclocking any hardware on my pc.
    windows is fully uptodate. i defrag once a week (all partitions). I am using AVg 7.5 - i have it fully up to date. I am also using adware - which is very helpful.

this freeze ONLY happens when i run my dvd player- when im installing somehting - anything!

ok. i would say a cuople of years ago now i bought this bulls*t game called BET ON SOLDIER. I installed this crap program called STARFORCE!! im pretty sure alot of you know about this horrible vile piece of S*t protectiveware garbage!!

incase no one knows about this

Boycott Starforce

to sum up - starforce literally fragged my Optical drive to hell. I could not burn after that or use it - at all...it slowly died on me (i only owned it for 5 months and hardly burned with it!!)

i crawled through the registry to look for ANY relating keys threads for starforce as per instructions. I used the removal tool - INCLUDING the official one that the company released. Mind you they explained that the program does NOT mess your optical drive....and that was only myth spread by the pirate groups...no they are lying it DOES ruin your optical drive by installing hidden devices (which i also removed)

so....removed my drive- FULLY formatted my HD and reinstalled a different OS - i upgraded fromxp 32 to 64 pRO.....then i didnt have any cds to really use until a week ago.

popped in a disk...pc froze - fully- reboot to safe mode - tried installing drivers for my new lexmark printer- 50% FREEZE

i ran memory tests, prime 95, superpi - nothing its all good.

i made sure that nothing was wrong my pc physically- IE- DUST CLUTTER, ruined cables , unplugges cables.. i have not spilled anything inside or around my pc.

again it runs perfectly fine unless i try and use the dvd player (i got a new one.

im stumped big time.

i mean ill through my registry now JUST incase some madness somehow stayed behind before the format like some ghost!

specs
    ==========

AMD ATHLON 4400X2
    A8rmvp 32 deluxe mobo
    2gb ocz 4000 platinum xtc
    2 1900 radeons CF
    antec case (basic w/fans)
    620W seasonic psu
    nspire basic optical mouse
    creative Xfi xtreme gamer

apologies for the lengthy post i just like being detailed.

but im wondering.....one thing i have not tried ....updating my BIOS again....hmmm mabye when you isntall starforce it installs hidden crap in the BIOS?? which might get saved in cmos?

gonna check it out...oh but wait i also didnt mention my antec case doesnt give ANY ability to SCREW the player in place...can it just get interrupted which might cause freezing>?

gonna test it out now - im going to secure it with black tape (electrical) seriously im not kidding thecase has BLOCKED spaces where your supposed to place the screws.

thanks for reading- game oN!!!

2. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

try a different CD drive and/or hook it to a different power lead and see if that makes a difference

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

usually lock ups of this nature is usually 2 of the things chaos mentioned..

or

an IDE cable is no longer good....

OR

IDE controller failing (this isn't common)

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I have heard of similar problems after people installing Starforce, so I wouldn't put it beyond the possibility.
    I never had any problems with it, but others apparently have.

5. ptsigas

ptsigas New Member

ok ill check out the IDE controller....but my Hd's are doing great -

HMmm ill test something out cause my buddy he has the exact mobo vid card and ram as me and his PC locks/freezes when he tries to install something on his maIN HD but when he tries on another hardrive - bam it always locks up...

ill see about updating ide controllers

another idea i had was just updating my bios to the most uptodate -

kk thanks for all your input ill keep post!

6. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

well, there you have it ;). the IDE controller seems to be the problem... since it is happening on both rigs, only with different IDE units attached to them (in your case it's a CD/DVD drive, in his case it's a HDD).

see if the same thing happens again with a different CD/DVD drive... maybe even a whole new set of IDE cables, as Judas and Chaos pointed out ;).

7. ptsigas

ptsigas New Member

ok well i did use a different drive - but i dont think it would have mattered.

regardless i chose to install sims 2 in my C drive (my main drive) and it worked out great- even max payne 2 installed without a hitch!

hmmm but i still have the issue with the IDE controller....mabye there is something i can download.

thanks hehe :) problem 75% fixed!

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

You didn't mention (or I can't find it) whether you downloaded the latest Chipset drivers for the motherboard.

I have this exact same mobo in my 2nd PC using Windows XP Pro. I'm having no issues with the DVD/CD drives or the several HDDs I have installed in it.

One thing about this board, though, was that it was sent to me by the original owner who WAS having some problems. Other than installing the latest BIOS and Chipset drivers, the biggest difference I made was in setting the RAM timing correctly for the RAM that's installed.

So, if you formatted the HDD, installed Windows fresh, you do need to install the Chipset drivers all over again.

Good luck!

EDIT: BTW, there are some suggestins on the ASUSTEK website re: System Freezes. It also has an option to see what size PSU your particular system should have. Check them out here:

http://support.asus.com/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  9. ptsigas

ptsigas New Member

hey folks - thanks again for the help - sorry for the lack in response - over the holidays i had some issues i overcame thankfully!

but I used a different DVD writer a cuople of nights ago to burn some home videos...well if i tried burning anything off of my seagate 7200 (primary IDE HD) the computer would lock up- restart would be the only option after that.

i can transfer files over from my sata drive (not primary)

over to my IDE drive which is primary - but if i try to install/burn with my sata disk - freezes 100%

if i install anything to the main HD - it works 100%

now i with the different DVD burner i burned my vids on to dvd's without a hitch - no problems ...well atleast 75% of the time..

then it locked up again..

now i even replaced the IDE cable for the DVD drive.

BUT i did not try anotehr IDE for my HD

im also thinking of getting the final update for my mobo Bios ( i think i currently am using the second last update on the list)

i thought mabye a firmware update on the HD's but...i dont see much of a change there happening (or the need anyways)

now do you guys think if the bios update/cable replacement (for IDE drive) would do the trick..

OR mabye a simple reinstall for windows xp pro 64bit? just a repair install?

becuase if i can install onto my IDE drive....then why cant i install or burn anything from my sata drive?

i also checked my pc for virus' and all that - nothing found or noticed by me.

now if it comes down to IDE controllers messing up...then how would i be able to obtain them for my HD's?

Sata (1 drive)= Western Digital 200GB
    IDE (1drive) = seagate 7200rpm 80GB

installing burning onto sata = Never works always freezes

copying files to and from sata= 100% works no issues

Installing to IDE drive= 100% working

Burning= 75% of the time works ...then i get a freeze it seemed. (but i MAY have forgotten to transfer the video to my primary IDE)

thanks for your time everyone! ill keep a closer uptodate this time - thank you all again for the input!

ill try a bios update with asus update