PCI Express slot question

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MythicaL, Jul 12, 2010.

1. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

I'm going to be purchasing an 802.11n NIC pretty soon, but I have the choice between a PCI or PCI Express interface. Now, on my motherboard (680i SLI) there are two small PCI Express slots for add-in cards, but one is covered up by my huge graphics card, and the other is too close to the northbridge fan.

My question: is it possible to put an add-on card like this...

[​IMG]

... into a slot realistically designed for a graphics card? Here's where I would place it on the motherboard:

[​IMG]

My sound card sits in the very left PCI slot, and my graphics card takes up the far right black PCI Express slot, so placing the NIC in the place I have marked would be very fortunate. Is this possible? I never considered this scenario until last night.

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, yes it's possible. However there have been exceptions where a motherboard can have limitations. Especially considering there's an Nvidia chip set involved I'd consult the motherboard manual extra carefully. If you don't have the manual at hand, it should be downloadable from the manufacturer.

3. MythicaL

Thanks for the reply. I found out that the NIC claims: "Fits any standard PCI Express slot x1, x4, x8, or x16".

This was the best thing I could find from the manual:

[​IMG]

Doesn't say I can't do it, but that's not saying much.

I already knew the black slots were for SLIing graphics cards, and the blue slot is more for expansion, such a physics card. But it still seems awkward to stick a 1x card into a 16x slot. I wonder if it'd be a safer bet to just get a PCI NIC.

4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

It should work just fine; I run my nic and sound card in full size slots without any issues. The only negative I can see is that the board might drop the other slots to 8x but that is something you have to check on in the manual.

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Unlike AGP, the longer PCI-E slots are not dedicated to graphics cards and nothing else. Using PCI-E x1 cards, reportedly, work just fine.

6. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

7. MythicaL

Thanks, I guess I'll try it out. :)

8. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Your NIC should fit in the top 1x slot fine (provided its similar to the one in the pic) unless you have changed the fan from the bundled 680i one.