PCIe 5.0 High-Power Connector For Next-Gen Graphics Cards To Deliver Up To 600W To GPUs

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Calliers, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

The first pictures of the upcoming High-Power Connector for PCIe 5.0 compatible graphics cards have been pictured by Igor's Lab. Designed for next-generation graphics cards, schematics of the power connector show that it will allow up to 600W of power to be delivered directly to the GPUs.

According to Igor Wallossek, the existing power delivery systems are becoming obsolete as GPUs become more power-hungry. This generation saw the most graphics cards from NVIDIA and AMD to feature triple 8-pin connector interfaces. While NVIDIA opted for a 12-pin Microfit solution for its own Founders Edition variants, AIBs were reluctant to use the new power standard but the stopgap made them ready for the true deal and that's the upcoming PCI Express 12VHPWR connector.

[​IMG]

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm ok with this.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think that it's a sign of things going off the rails. Sure, CPU and GPU requirements have been rising since the beginning of the PC era (BTW I completely missed that the IBM PC turned 40 recently!), but if I look at the progression, mostly from the parts I've owned, for the CPU it would look like this:
    • Intel Pentium MMX 166MHz 13W
    • AMD K6-2 400MHz 18W
    • AMD Athlon64 3000+ 2GHz 89W
    • AMD Athlon II X2 240 2C/2T 2.8GHz 65W
    • AMD Phenom II X4 940 4C/4T 3GHz 125W
    • Intel Core i7 4790K 4C/8T 4GHz 88W
    • a modern 6C/12T CPU: 65W
    There you see a healthy race between the increase in performance and that in efficiency. Graphics cards ballooning to 600W (per power connector) and power consumption of microcomputers nearing that of room filling behemoths from days gone by would indicate that we are trying to increase performance by a brute force approach, without making the necessary technological progress, and would be unsustainable in the mid, let alone long run.