Pentium M mobos?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by SupraS, Apr 11, 2005.

1. SupraS

SupraS New Member

Does anyone know how many Pentium M mobos are out now and if they are any good? I saw a couple and they didnt seem to be as good as some of the other mobos out there running on different processors... Anyway, just wondering since Pentium Ms seem to be really good. =)

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The 2 that come to mind are the AOpen GMEm-LFS, and DFI 855GME-MGF. Asus also makes a Socket 478 to Socket 479 adapter, but they only support their own boards so far (the ASUS P4P800-SE and P4P800-VM), with another 2 coming.

You can read up on Anandtechs review on those board mentioned HERE, as well as the Socket adapter HERE. Personally I'd go for the adapter over the dedicated boards. See, with the dedicated boards you are limited to single channel DDR333 ram, and they are expensive ta boot (really expensive). With buying the adapter and a compatible board it's not only about have the price of the dedicated boards, but you get to use dual channel ram (since you are running the chip on an 865 board).

If you are gonna go the M route, get the adapter and the compatible board. It's the better choice.

-Tip

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I just recently found out that a Pentium M conversion kit exists for Asus socket 478 boards PrP800 SE and P4P800AVM. The CT-479 CPU upgrade kit includes a cooling fan as well. The only processors supported by the CT-479 kit are the Celeron Ms from the 1.2Ghz to 1.7Ghz, the Banias core from 1.3Ghz to 1.7Ghz, and the Dothan core from 1.5Ghz to 2.26Ghz. Asus didnt say what the price would be like but it cant be more than 50 bucks.