people might boycott obsidian and atari over nwn 2 lack of support?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by ViP3RH3LL, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=501

I was up most of the night reading people's comments on the first page and it's really interesting, the petition to remove securom from nwn 2 do to "honest" buyers having drive problems and people talking about eula violations do to securom and 1 copy backup's, and obsidian's and atari's lack of support for customers do to these issues..

2. Sandok

Sandok New Member

The only safety feature that should ever be removed is starforce. The rest is just a way to copy a game usually since the problems they cause are usually user orientated and on the whole, unimportant.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I suspect (I could be wrong) that they just want to copy the games easier. I am against Starforce (though funny enough never had any problem with it though I own several games protected by it), but I can't imagine why be against Securom in the first place.

The only thing that worries me is how Vista will handle older types of copy protection and incompatibilities with them and the OS.
    If they want to protest for the lack of support, good luck to them. Just stop buying from the said company, it is that simple.

4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Securerom doesn't cause serious problems those people need to stop whining. A boycott is also useless since Securerom is the most popular protection especially since publishers switched from Starforce due to customer complaints.

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

I don't know if its due to securom or not, but I certanily have an issue with it not recognizing my disks. And I've never had that with any other game I've played (recently that's Titan Quest, Hitman Blood Money, and Oblivion) I usually have to start the game about 3 times before it decides that "Yes, I really do have official disks that I bought"...
    I tried some of the fixes that have been suggested but to no avail. Luckily it normally only takes me a few tries before it will read the disks properly so I'm not complaining too much about it. Of more concern are the nasty crashes that are prevelent in the multi player games. I crash almost every time I go from one load zone to another. That sux big ones... I should think that Obsidian and the gang should have been able to crank out another patch or two for these common problems. But I know what it's like to finish a major project & then go blow off work for a week or two afterwards. However I also know what it's like to finish a major project, move the code to production, and have things go wrong - my ass is up at 3am trying to find the problem and fix it asap before my customers go into apoplexy... Some of it I chalk up to buying a game when it is first released. Seems it's just a fact of life that not all the bugs are going to be worked out when a PC game releases and if that is going to be an issue for you then wait a month or two before buying. But some of it I chalk up to bad customer service - I've read some of those threads and there is no where near enough response from the tech guys. Even if they were just posting to say, "Ok we hear ya. We don't have it fixed yet, but we are working on it. Sorry. Shit happens and we will fix as soon as we can, please be patient." That kind of thing works wonders...

6. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

You can play NWN without the CD. Why not NWN2 or any other game? I think they need to come up with something else besides "CD checks."

7. Tinkerhell

NWN requires the cd. at least my version did/does. With each suppliment that came out you had to use the new disk.

8. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

I have the original plus each expansion bought seperately. I always thought they included it in a patch. I've never needed a crack.

9. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I've had issues with Securom on F.E.A.R. It often took a few tries to start it and sometimes it did not even start at all. I had to send a diagnostic file to the people of securom, then they sent me a link to download an exe for the game. It works flawlessly and the game always starts when the disk is in the drive. But it's annoying to have to send them this diagnostic file that contains who knows what kind of information about your system.

Is there a similar exe from the people of Securom available for nwn if you email them your diagnostic file?

10. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Just download a crack or a program that disables securerom protection you bought the game and have a right to play it without issues.

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i dont know if it is related, but this game takes forever to load. if it wasnt for the fact that my cursor moves i would think it is locked up.

12. Tinkerhell

That's pretty much normal for me. *sigh*

13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm still puzzled at the problems being reported. I haven't had any of these and I've progressed quite a ways into the game, too.

Weird!!

14. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

I have seen allot of these so called securom problems. What it is turning out to be for some people is the drive doesn't like whatever media the game is on. Allot of peeps do not know that they should update there drives firmware as it is released, especially if it is adding support for new media. Why the drives that are having issues would let people install the game and then not want to start it is beyond me. I do know there is a securom update that was released by M$ to combat the exe startup issue but i have never used it and have never needed to. Out of about fifty games I own that use securom the only one that has ever given me problems is Fear. It was the same type of issue as Tril's post but i never had to do anything. After one of the patches it just quit messing up. Copyright protection is here to stay and as long as they are as good as this one its alright by me. I am really not sure what good it is though, a securom game can be cracked in minutes.

15. Wretch

Wretch Minister of Defense

Minor Spoilers below....

I don't blame them. This game seems to be filled with minor annoyances and getting support is frustrating as hell, if at all possible.

I got all the way to Act 3 in the game, and had allied with the Ironfist. After defeating the council of druids in the Mere, and upon returning to Crossroad Keep, my game crashes with a MS exception... and I haven't been able to progress beyond that point. :duh: Seems my save game is corrupted somehow.

I've tried moving the savegame into the MP folder and trying to play beyond that point, to no avail. I've tried everything else I've seen on the bioware forums (who officially supports this game again?), including moving the crossroad_keep_A2 file from another save into this one.

This game could have used another month in the shop.

16. Shaga

Shaga Intelligent Life Form

This game worked like a charm. Completed it couple days ago and it rocks.

Anyway, back to the topic.. I think their customer support is top notch. They released very fast two patches on the issues users did report and took lots of feedback for nwn2 from users. Most of all, developers of NWN2 are all the time speaking in their forums and helping players. I haven't seen this much. I think their customer support is best there is, but it seems not all are thinking like that. :(

17. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

I haven't finished it yet, but have only had one crash so far. I just finished the second quest at the farmhouse. My crash occurred when a scheduled defrag of my hard drive was going on, so I chalk it up to that. Otherwise - the AI is a dumb as a stump when it comes to fights, but no other issues to speak of.

18. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

Your one of the very lucky few dyre, seems the goddess of luck is on your side.

19. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

as i see it atari doesn't give support, period, the end

20. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i agree neon, this has been an ever worsening problem with them fore 2-3 years now. the thing that is really sad is that nwn series is one of their top(if not their top) supported games.