Peter Jackson to Produce "The Hobbit"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by calidan, Dec 18, 2007.

1. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Double Post :) (Now a deleted thread)

EDIT: Just noticed you posted at more or less the same time.

This looks very interesting,something im looking forward to.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  3. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

LOL, I'll fix it.

Edit: Done.

I can't wait for this. I've been keeping an eye on the situation, and am very happy the two side came to an agreement. Lets hope The Hobbit is as great as the original movies.

4. calidan

I think it's great they are making two movies. There would be no way to get all of what's in the book into a 2-3 hour movie.

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I'm not that psyched about it unless someone talented is directing. Actually, I've not read the Hobbit and will wait until after the first movie to do so.

6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

That's nice. While I'm not quite as keen on The Hobbit itself, anything from the same world should be wonderous enough. If this does well too then perhaps we'll get a few short stories filmed after that.

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Oh man, I thought that lawyer from Florida that attacks violent games was going to produce it. I was like, wtf is this hobbit going to produce a film about hobbits?

8. calidan

Dude, that's Jack Thompson. :D

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

wasn't this well known before king kong was even going into production?

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

That's awesome. Now lets just hope they do as good a job as one the LOR movies. You should read the book. It's not nearly as tedious to read as the 3 main LOR books are. It have a much younger feel to it. It is a good book.

11. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

It really is ment to be a kids book; sort of like a fairytale. If I recall correctly, one of the initial editors gave the book to his young son to read, and he loved it, thereby securing the book for publishing.

I haven't found the first three books to be tedious, but it is a lot to get through. Anyone who's interested in fantasy should be required to read the series. It really is a work of genius, and is a cornerstone of the genre. I make a point to read the fellowship books every couple years, usually in the summer on my front porch.

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Gosh I am so shocked?
    Peter Jackson?
    "not"

13. calidan

Was there any fantasy type books before The Hobbit?

14. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Not really, Tolkein practically invented the genre from old myths and legends. All the stereotypical images we have of dwarfves, elves, etc are basically down to Tolkein.

15. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

No as New Line had no rights to the Hobbit. It was something that was hoped, but that was all.

16. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Anyways my thoughts...

As a huge Tolkien fan (have read the Silmarillion, LOTR, Hobbit, Unfinished Tales many times over). I am very pleased that they will be doing The Hobbit. It definitely is my favourite of any Middle-Earth books.

They better have Ian Mcclellan and Ian Holm again. Anyone else and I will not be impressed.

17. Senor_Mota

Senor_Mota 悪魔の方法

[​IMG]

TOTALLY GHEY

18. calidan

If you're going to post that you don't like it, especially the way you posted, you should elaborate why. If Jackson isn't good enough, who is?

19. mike2h

mike2h New Member

who else would you have do it? imo lotr was awsome, i cant think of anybody better suited than jackson to do the hobbit - on any level imaginable.

20. Senor_Mota

Senor_Mota 悪魔の方法

Peter Jackson's an okay director - when it comes to CGI direction. His live-action directing is something to cry about though.

First of all, Frodo and Samwise's relationship is one of brotherhood in the books. With the way it is projected by the acting and direction in the movie, it (almost) insinuates that they are lovers. Seriously - in The Two Towers (film), the scene after they leave Gondor following the attack of the Ringwraiths, their conversation goes along the lines of:

Sam - "Mr. Frodo, you're so much stronger than I. They'll be singing songs of you in times to come."
    (Frodo looks at Sam with eyes of admiration)
    Frodo - "No Sam, they'll be singing of you too. Sam the Brave who was there for Mr. Frodo."
    (Beautiful Music swells, they continue walking)

It doesn't go exactly like that, but it is the most pedantic and slightly homoerotic scene in a non-sexually-oriented film I've ever seen. :hmm:

Secondly, the battle scenes are kinda cool, if you can get past all of the CGI inconsistencies. In the scene where Legolas is riding the shield down the steps and firing arrows, he's pulling CGI arrows from a CGI sheath and his hand is always barely missing the correct place where it should be. The last battle in Return of the King (film) is boring and cliched (also has the lamest CGI overlay of the "Ghost Army"), whereas in the book it is described so poignantly and destructively. The Ents role in the war changes, the Uru-Kai go down like wet socks in the hamper after a rainy jog, Gandalf's power is significantly dumbed-down, the Balrog fight scene seems too abrupt, etc., etc.

In short, the dialogue and emotional display is crappy (which is mostly acting, but influenced by DIRECTION), the story is modified, the CGI is annoyingly inaccurate and the final chapter in the film series seems like pointless and shallow filler to "round it out", unlike the amazing feeling the book leaves you with.

Sounds kinda like another trilogy everyone seems to think is so great (Star Wars), but that's because it was "ahead of its' time". Peter Jackson doesn't have that excuse. Star Wars was great because it had no pre-cursory literary instructions to follow. :rolleyes:

If you want some suggestions for directors:
    Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone)
    David Lynch (Lost Highway, Dune)
    Takashi Miike (The Great Yokai War, Gozu)
    James Cameron (Aliens, Teminator)

These directors all have the insight to direct such a fantasy-laden script into artistic bliss without letting the bother of high-budget CGI get in the way (not to say they haven't used CGI previously, but a great deal less).

If I want to see Bilbo Baggins stealing from Smaug in any format other than live action, I would watch that horrible The Hobbit cartoon from the 70's.

'nuff said.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007