Photographers - which camera?

Discussion in 'Heavenly Visions & Echoes' started by HardwareHeaven, Jul 25, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I think most of us know about full frame cameras, the D3X is one as well which i mentioned beforehand, and canon do other ones like the 1DS MKIII at around 4k (ekk)

No offense but you sound like a sales man with all those linkages in one paragraph ;) - please share some of your work in this forum would be nice to see how the 5D handles in your hands. Incidentally make sure you flash the firmware on the 5D, some good updates recently from Canon.- was playing with one at the weekend.

2. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Personally I am using the Nikon P80 that I got a great deal on used

3. HardwareHeaven

You should post a few pics man, this forum is like Jeffs personal portfolio !

4. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

I have posted several images taken at a friends place on the Ocean but i will post more

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

;) I am just very enthusiastic Allan

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

you can say that again Jeff :p

I should start posting some of my club photos here, I tend to take between 400-1200 a week (depending on how many events I cover)

7. HardwareHeaven

Added a custom LCD battery grip to my Nikon D90 today, really helps with the handling (also life lasts about 5,000 shots with two of the E batteries).

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

did you buy the NIKON product?
    I was swindled by Warehouseexpress.com and they sold me the Hanel equivalent and it doesnt work at all...
    bullocks!!!!!!

9. HardwareHeaven

no I got a different product from the far east which hasnt been released yet, im "testing' it for the company. Its very good. takes two batteries and if you use the 'e' rated batteries it shows up in the nikon menus and you get a L and R battery life percentage and wear panel which is useful. There is also a little LCD time counter on it which shows the date (year/month/minute/second) and you get a timer for setting shots as well as a shutter button and focusing ring.

It will be released shortly around the £100 mark. Nice addition to the camera I think as I find most of the SLR's a little small - when I worked for a newspaper we had big ass cameras and I loved those bodies. Adding a grip not only doubles battery life but it improves the handling significantly.

When I get the money for my motorbike and a few other things, I think I might opt for the Nikon D3X (to last me for at least 5-10 years I hope). but its a little down the line.

10. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

I had a similiar battery grip for my 350d, but I never used to LCD for anything other than checking the time, but the extra battery capacity, physical size (I have big hands) and vertical shooting controls (most of my shots are "portrait") are something I already miss greatly on the 450d, so I have a basic grip on the way from Hong Kong

11. HardwareHeaven

good thinking Chris - always the first thing I go for when I get a new SLR. Its part of the reason im attracted to the ultra high end SLR's - they are all the "perfect" shape right out of the box (well for me anyway).

12. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

without a grip my right hand tends to hurt after a while, as the weight of the camera is sitting on my little finger under the camera, as it has no where else to go - I just hope my grip arrives today or tomorrow, as I've got a few events to shoot over the weekend

13. dvorak

dvorak New Member

I forgot to mention i have a battery grip for my 5D MKII, it is very useful. It increases the weight of the camera which may sound bad at first but actually helps with hand held shots by keeping the camera steadier. I still need to buy a second battery for my camera ($100!). I also like mine because it has an on off switch on it so you don't accidentally change your settings or take a shot.

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Please let me know when this becomes available Allan, as an average consumer, I have to stand in line at the bloody store with all the yabo's that are buying the trendy crap.
    I really miss the old shops that would show you the various aspects of a new bit of kit and "sell" you a product. It certainly seems that when I go to a showroom or store, I get "Nick" the guy who just got back from a smoke break to call his parole officer, with absolutely no vested interested in doing anything more that giving you a glossy fan folded brochure while he runs down to the basement supply room to retrieve what your looking for with a hastily scribbled part number on a post it now. ROFL.

You really have to know what you want, and do the research. I read all the popular trades on what professional photographers like or dislike about lenses and camera bodies and there are common themes. I have read only one good review about the new Olympus EP--1, not that its a bad camera or anything, just that its new and a novelty because of its retro appearance.
    Apparently some folks want to work harder to take good pictures, LOL

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061601olympusep1.asp

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  15. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

thanx man, it does take a bit of work to take the pics, process them and work with them before I post them, I really want to do a good job. :)

I enjoy DH and posting on the HV, but that isnt why I take pics just a great place to see other folks post, so I hope more people post here and we can get some really interesting variety of styles, techniques and themes. I am not diminished by criticism too much, I am surrounded by critics at work so coming here is a breath of fresh air to me from a creative standpoint.

I hope other folks pull out their old cameras or new ones and take a walk outside and show us here the world as how they see it, because I have seen some really good photos from the simpliest cameras and themes.
    for me like I said before, it isnt the pixels or the name of the bloody camera or the price tag, its the substance, style, compostion and artistic expression that captures my interest.

Its a beautiful world, and before my eyes are gone for good, i want to see it and remember it like a photograph in my mind. ;)

16. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

My father has this:

[​IMG]

Old and Russian, but not 35mm. I think it's a medium format, twin lens reflex. About 50 years old or so.

17. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

gorgeous...
    and they are in fact very well made despite what was made in the CCCP.
    your very fortunate. We have some collectors here in the UK that bartered for theirs
    but I figured after Glaznost, that it would be easier to collect them..
    nope.
    thankyou for the pic.
    I would like to have my hands on a Lubitel or an old Holga. but I know it would be to covet it. (guess that is a sin)

18. HardwareHeaven

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

excellent choice.
    I am currently using the Sigma 10 to 20 wide angle lense.
    Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

I am very happy with it, but they didnt have the Nikon Lense when I went to Norwich to purchase one, and the nice lady at the counter encouraged me to try it instead of the Nikon equivalent. I am happy with it but i want to include a variety of Nikon lenses as well.

this is what I am after and I will pick it up in San Francisco in a couple of weeks.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ories&A=details&Q=&sku=619515&is=REG#features

I look forward to your landscapes Allan, :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  20. HardwareHeaven

how do you find the sigma at the 10mm range? (well its around 15mm technically with the cameras 1.5x conversions but you know what I mean).