Pimp My Rig - PowerColor Devil 13 HD7990

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by craig5320, Sep 3, 2012.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Challenge
    Do you feel that your rig doesn't Impress your friends anymore? Then your rig deserves some SERIOUS PIMPING! To prove it, just show us how really slow it is... and we will make it show some serious business with the fastest upgrade on the planet. PowerColor HD7990 Devil 13 and many more goodies.

RULES
    - This competition will have two rounds; first you will have to join the HardwareHeaven community (Register here) and then try to have the lowest 3DMark 2003 score of this community.

- The second round will be done with the community winners (those who got the lowest score of each community) where the winners will go head to head to fight for the slowest score in a different benchmark that will be revealed once the first phase is over.

- The final winner will be the lowest combined score of the 2 rounds.
    - Only 3DMark 2003 default score would be accepted (First round).
    - All game tests including nature test must be supported and completed (First round).
    - All scores with N\A FPS won't be accepted and the scores must be higher than 0,00FPS.
    - Only stand alone graphic cards are valid for this competition.
    - The benchmark score must have been made during the competition period.
    - The project name should include "PowerColor PIMP MY RIG".
    - If more than one user share the lowest score, the first submission will win.
    - The link must be active right after the end of the competition in order to validate, you can submit the score and link before even if the link is not active on the Futuremark.

Run test, register on Futuremark website, submit and win.

- You must register or be registred user on the community you select to participate with.
    - You can only participate in one community; but you can submit multiple times with different scores (the lowest is the one that counts).
    - Entrants who submit in more than one community, if proven will be disqualified.
    - For the community winners, new rules and new benchmark info will be sent by email and also updated in this page.
    - This is a worldwide competition, so join in!
    - The first round of the competition runs from September 3rd to September 16th where the second and final round with the finalist all will be schedule to compete on the week of September 17th.

- THE WORST SCORE WILL GET YOU A POWERCOLOR SPECIALY PIMPED ULTRA LIMITED EDITION HD7990 Devil 13 AND MUCH MORE!

Discuss your entry below - submit on the PowerColor website HERE.

[​IMG]

SECOND ROUND RULES
    Only 3Dmark 2003 default settings but the resolution (now done @ 640x480) would be accepted

License keys were sent to second round winners in order to be able to change the resolution.
    All game tests including nature test must be supported and completed All scores with N\A FPS won’t be accepted and the scores must be higher than 0,00FPS Same hardware configuration must be used from the first round.
    The benchmark score must have been made during the second round competition period The project name should include "PowerColor PIMP MY RIG"
    More than one user share the lowest score, the first submission will win The link must be active right after the end of the competition in order to validate, you can submit the score and link before even if the link is not active on the Futuremark Run test, register on Futuremark website, submit and win Only the first round finalist can participate and must enter the code you got from your winning submition email on the next entries.
    You can submit multiple times different scores (the lowest is the one that
    counts) Submitions with any non default settings changed (besides the
    resolution) will make the user to be disqualified.
    PowerColor will work with FutureMark to check for any cheating.
    Second and final round with the finalist start to compete on the 20th 10AM CET and ends on the 24th 10AM.

THE WORST COMBINED SCORE WOULD GET YOU A POWERCOLOR SPECIALY PIMPED ULTRA LIMITED EDITION HD7990 Devil13 AND ALL THE GOODIES FROM FIRST ROUND!

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Prove that you've got a slow combination of CPU, GPU and RAM to win a GPU... I do hope they include a CPU, motherboard & RAM for sanity's sake.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

TPU's winner last year, with a score of 1, used a GTX470 and a modern CPU.

I've a system getting underway right now. It's loading the first scene, and the screen has been black for 10 minutes.

EDIT: 5 frames rendered!

EDIT 2: 15 frames rendered! This probably needs slowing down a little...

EDIT 3: If I submit an entry here, then come back and edit my post later to link to a yet lower score, is that ok?

4. RobertBruce

RobertBruce Active Member

Such an old program...is it windows XP only? I can't even get it to install on 7. It just freezes up.

Edit: never mind. It just took over 20 minutes to respond.

5. craig5320

Sure Blibb, as long as all entries are in here on the closing day, they'll be accepted.

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Sounds perfect :p

Thanks Craig. I'm having trouble getting the rig through without "is not responding" errors on the rig atm :D

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. vavyn

vavyn New Member

1st attempt using x1600pro.

By the way craig5320, just want to make sure a few points

Do we submit the core here
    powercolor .com/event/PimpMyRig/submit.asp

or do we paste the links here on the forum.

I asked because I went through the rules a few times and it says nothing about posting the score on the forum.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  8. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I almost feel bad for the winner of this competition as the PC that won it won't even be able to handle the 7990.

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Like I said, last year's winner used a GTX470, so I don't think you can take that for granted.

10. craig5320

11. adsubzero

adsubzero New Member

Just underclock the cpu and gpu, then use some program to stress the computer as much as possible, lol.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Does this mean one entry per person? No revised low entry later on, etc.?

Yeah, that's the basic idea. Windows has a number of mechanisms that will work to save the benchmark from unresponsiveness, though, which you will need to disable :D

13. craig5320

You can still submit multiple scores, and as it's the early entrant who wins in a draw, I would get your score and submit it soon as, then submit any further progress after that. It should be fine.

Cheers

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm03/6478015

I wanted to ask about this score. It says the graphics driver is invalid (I have no idea why, it's an AMD release driver from a few months ago) and also says that CPU score is N/A.

But then I compared to an entrant from last year:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm03/6442059

And it looks like he didn't run CPU tests at all. Yet I don't see an option to not run them?

15. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Since Nvidia (and possibly ATI) were, at the time caught with application specific and other optimizations that artificially boosted the 3D Mark scores, a validation system was introduced for drivers and unless it was a Futuremark approved version, you'd get the message. My guess is that they stopped certification for 3DMark03 ages ago, so that's why you get it.

EDIT: Oh, and very nice score BTW. :)

16. craig5320

[​IMG]

Fingers crossed

17. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

[​IMG]

Thanks. Is 45 good? Can I play Crysis? :p

It turns out that it's actually easier to manipulate the more modern system.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm03/6478076

I can get this lower, but I'm on holiday for a few weeks soon and the benchmark runs take about 6 hours. I'll be back for a day on Sept. 16th, as it happens, though, so I'll be able to check if I've won. If it hasn't been announced at that point, I'll probably PM Craig my mobile number so he can text me in the unlikely event of anything important happening. Wouldn't want to miss out on that mechanical keyboard!

EDIT: Craig, sorry to be a hassle, but I've got the same "participation code" for both scores now. Could you just check that the second one (linked in this post) went through properly? Or needn't I worry? Thanks :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  18. ryandigweed

ryandigweed New Member

I'll try to participate

19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

20. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Gratz. I just completed a run that scored sufficiently low FPS to be a 1, but got an N/A for GT1 - the planes one. I'm gutted. Not sure I have time for another run. I guess it's game over for me :(