Pimp My Rig - PowerColor Devil 13 HD7990

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by craig5320, Sep 3, 2012.

1. yoknipas

yoknipas New Member

I will try with my HD5450

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

managed to score 0.1/0.1/0.1fps on the first 3 tests.. and then the bugger "lost focus" on the nature one when it tried to load....

Either A: lost focus is my major issue or B: Nvidia drivers crash/stop responding repeatedly.

crazy considering the underclock currently applied to the card.

the 5450 is considerably more powerful than my 6200 nvidia card...

In either case if i had managed to complete the 4th test with a 0.1fps score.... i think i would have nailed the lowest possible score. such a touchy thing..

3. adsubzero

adsubzero New Member

That's rather weak, I got 0,02 on the 2nd and 3rd test, but the 4th always screws up, I get around 0,2.
    But, most of the time, I get N/A on the 1st one.
    I'm using HD 4850 btw.

4. Judas

i've never seen a value below 0.1fps

5. adsubzero

adsubzero New Member

The winner of the contest last year had 0.05, I managed to get 0.02

6. Judas

it's kinda unfortunate that people are using various methods to inflict poor scores..

i know of a program that can instantly kill scores resulting in 1 3dmark or as close to 0 3dmarks everytime..

the old fashion used ways to change clock/times, people were using it to boost scores.. but it could be used to reduce it significantly... It's not at all hard to conceive of someone using such a tool to get such low scores...

I mean it would technically be within the rules considering people are using programs to degrade performance

gone are the days where someone would win based on legitimately having a really really terrible computer

Power color should have put restrictions on hardware available/used.... i'm sure plenty of people would be utterly ripped to see someone with a 690/7990 win the comp..... lol

7. adsubzero

adsubzero New Member

I'd like it more if it was a fair competition, but when I saw the results from the last year, I was like "well everyone is doing it..."
    It isn't against the rules, so I don't see why wouldn't you use some programs to help you achieve low scores.

The problem here, obviously, is that if you go too low, you would get N/A score, and the benching takes a lot of time, so you have to find the right settings.
    It seemed to me that I got it, but the 4th test was really annoying, because I was waiting for it to load for two hours, compared to about an hour for the first three tests, but then got higher FPS. :confused:
    Anyways, good luck to you, I would really prefer if you won rather than someone with a $500 graphics card.

8. Judas

I shouldn't win either... (in a way)... i'm mean obviously it would be great to get a awesome video card..... i just think it's fundamentally bizarre that someone with known to be giagantic graphics and cpu power to get a result worse than a machine running WAY below the minimum requirements of the program to begin with.

I mean currently all i'm doing is loading up a single program that is both cpu/gpu intensive with a higher priority that 3dmark03..

however this is using a very very relatively idiotic method of trying to bring the scores to uber low levels...

This of course doesn't limit someone from say starting to underclock, bios flash, using hardware and software side programs that is relatively easy to make in a quick bit to make it even easier.. to the point of not having to even bother really "trying" or dealing with instability issues that are present for people trying to overwork the machine to get similare results.

I just think it's rather silly, in my opinion obviously.

It's a good competition no doubt... but, you'd think it'd follow the actual competition statement/label. Trying to find the worst/slowest/obsolete computer that someone has for the lowest scores... Not brand new computers with the highest end components or relatively new decent hardware able to produce an incredibly low score.

Brass tacks... whomever is able to potentially program the most effective program to make 3dmark03 produce a specific score they want.

9. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

A friend of mine is attempting this semi-legitimately. He's got the oldest CPU he could find (sadly, a dual-core AMD at about 2GHz) with a 7300 GPU and 512MB RAM. Last I saw, the lowest score was 51FPS and that was tweaking using 3D settings; no underclocking involved (default 3DMark settings of course).

10. Judas

we'll i'm about to attempt to get this poor intel pentium 2 350mhz system up and running..

i could get the program to start with 128mb of ram installed... and with 256mb it runs fine... actually relatively well considering that this poor athlon 800mhz is doing it's job..

but trying to find a slower GPU than the 6200 that is a card (as they clearly state that a IGP solution is against the rules.. so that scraps 6100/6150 series)... has proved relatively impossible. .the radeon 9500np i have is faster than this 6200... additionally the FX cards actually seem to be nearly identical in performance.... and more unstable i find trying to run it.. (the one FX5200 i have is ... well... barely able to load windows without BSODing)

I'm not even sure if the pentium 2 board will allow for the 6200 to be powered/recognized. and reducing from 800mhz down to 350mhz isn't likely to effect the overall outcome any better.

Anywho.... i've done some more tweaking and i'm waiting for a 256mb ram run to complete.

11. adsubzero

adsubzero New Member

I was using a laptop and I think I got a perfect score.
    It was on a HD3430, do you think that it will count regardless of it being a mobility card?

12. vavyn

vavyn New Member

On tpu, they said no laptops. Also the rule says "Only stand alone graphic cards are valid for this competition." I do not think laptop can count as a stand alone card.

13. adsubzero

adsubzero New Member

I thought that rule means that only non-integrated cards are valid, and this one isn't integrated.
    Well, I already posted the result so we'll see.

14. Judas

actually if the card is removeable from a laptop... and replaceable MAKING it a standalone..... i think they should be able to allow it... but.... if they specifically list laptops as not allowed... kinda defeats that..

15. adsubzero

adsubzero New Member

Nowhere in the rules is stated that laptops are forbidden, just that only standalone cards are allowed, and that's the case here. I dont know where did you read that, but as long as it isn't in the rules it should be fine. I mean, the card is even stronger than what some other people are using. Anyway, I got the score of 3, lol.

16. Judas

i said if.... ;)

17. adsubzero

adsubzero New Member

I sent them a message, so we'll see... :p

18. vavyn

vavyn New Member

I don't know if this applies but on tpu rule no. 5 "No notebooks of any kind are allowed. No exceptions for MXM"

19. adsubzero

adsubzero New Member

WTF, that was added later, it wasn't in the rules before.
    They allow a $500 card to win, but they don't allow laptops even with a dedicated card? :mad:

20. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

What a hilarious competition. I won't be entering (IN YO FACE!) but good luck to those who do.