Pimp My Rig - PowerColor Devil 13 HD7990

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by craig5320, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Djr3akion

Djr3akion New Member

well damn, after reading that purposly slowing down the pc can have an effect is allowed idk if i should enter... i mean i have like a 10-15 year old pc id like to enter in this competition but if some rich guy is going to underclock and overload the pc so they get a lower score is it worth it? they should really look into the parts that go into the rig and should have the minimum and maximum specs allowed.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

djr... indeed

But it's 3Dmark03.. requiring nature test to be completed..

so that means a Radeon 9500np or X300/nvidia 6200 dedicated graphics card.

Even on this poor AMD 800mhz running at a little over 500mhz and 256mb of ram running windows 7... i still managed to hit an extremely good score.

Really what should be done is allowing futuremark/3dmark to enable Process logging prior too/during/after completition of the tests during upload..

but then people would all freak out over privacy rules and crap.

Powercolor made one bit of a unwinable competition by normal methods.

May as well host a tournament of one of their favorite games and tell everyone that using any hacks they want/cheat codes/etc to no end, and hell give you until the 16th to make your own mods/hacks/cheats if you want to win.

just again.. IMO

Would be cool to have an honest competition.... fun.... hell could care less if i lost.....

But people don't see it as a competition, but twist it into some kind of survival... life or death thing.... only one thing to do.... win.... losing it not an option....

At which point, it's no longer a competition or game or anything, it's being phsycotic.

Granted it's kind of confusing where your plastered with ads on tv and via posters and other reading material where sports and other such crap, even slogan using the "It's more than a game"..

but you then see similare articles and posters and crap in gambling areas or in various "helping" instatutions that show and use the "When it's more than a game, call or find us at... xxxxxx... to get help"

lol?

3. mipfer

mipfer New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  4. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Just a couple more days to submit your entries guys. That winning run will have to be started pretty soon :)

5. cassioamary

cassioamary New Member

Hey admin, the score that he posted, is it valid? I only need the first 4 game tests to run? Thank you very much!

6. mipfer

mipfer New Member

that was in the Rules. You only need the game test. You can press esc, right after Nature test to save you time. Thats what i heard from the other community admin, moderating the same contest.

7. cassioamary

cassioamary New Member

Oh, ok then, thanks and good luck! :}

8. rubab

rubab New Member

Sorry but i didn't understand this rule:
    I mean where am i supposed to include that?
    Should i post my scores in this thread like craig5320 did?

9. Judas

you have to go into the orb and rename your score.....

10. mipfer

mipfer New Member

lowest score so far?

11. rubab

rubab New Member

Thanks a lot for the info.;)

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I forgot to do this with my best entry, but am I right in thinking Judas managed a 13 or something anyway?

13. Judas

No...

After sustaining a 27 3dmark score... and rather getting fed up with the numerous entries coming from systems that are either middle of the road to high end MODERN DAY system... with recent generation or current generation graphics cards and quad core cpus rocking significant amounts of DDR3 ram. specially considering i know exactly what my very dated amd athlon 800mhz machine underclocked, scraping by on 256mb of PC66 SD RAM (not even DDR) and the LOWEST possible supported video card on the planet that is capable of doing the nature test.... basically you really can't get much lower end... (Pentium 2 doesn't have the necessary requirements).... It became quite obvious how much of a load of shit IMO this competition is.

As i stated above, short of me taking the time to basically cheat/hack/purposely screw with the results on a rediculious level which CLEARLY many people are at this point.... there is really no way in hell any legitmate owner is going to pull off a 3dmark of 5 or lower repeatedly.

My damn athlon 800mhz system with the nvidia 6200 (which is right in line with the fx5200 basically)... scores legitiately without trying to opperate rediculious numbers of cpu crunching programs and a few GPU intensive programs with their priority levels adjusted to all hell which ensures 3dmark03 gets a "bad scores".... scores an actually pretty damn good mark.

PowerColor could have thrown any competition and any program at us to test... and the same people that are likely to win this would win that as well following the same zero restrictions rules.

Poor people with laptops should have as much right to enter... 99.999% of them would still lose even if they have lower end intergrated gpus capable of completing it.

I even found a program which i won't list, that is able to circumvent the futuremark protection they had to put in that prevented people from boosting their 3dmark scores to rediculious levels.. unfortunately they don't do updates on 3dmark03.... and apparently they don't bother worrying about anyone getting rediculiously low values to be any concern to them. "why would anyone purposely falsely make their scores low"

Provided with the right calculations and variables.. i could with just that program running... guarantee a 100% stable run of 3dmark03 ... without underclocking, running multitudes of other programs.... etc..... basically guarantee a 3dmark03 score of under 10 3dmarks, all it takes is that little quick simple program if you wanted. IT's apparently similare in design to that of the timing glitch used before. You could be getting a million frames per second, but if you set the time so that several million fake seconds are passing by, obviously that guarantees a sub 1fps value being recorded. (very basic explanation of how it works sorta.... i didn't program it..... but someone that knows how to do it.. did it... )

TL;DR...

people with expensive machines winning the competition through doing essentially ZERO work or changes to their machine short of a simple program make for a first come first to win without barely lifting a finger. It's a matter of being the fastest/better/more resourceful cheater in the end.

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It's not about getting slow systems. I could pull 5 or lower repeatedly with my main rig with enough time, without screwing with 3dMark scoring. I'll explain how after the competition closes. It requires two programs other than 3dmark, both of which are readily available and well known. Underclocking helps but is not essential.

I suppose it is about being the most resourceful rather than having the slowest rig, but to say that this is being the best cheater means you probably want to say the same about most forms of competition. Professional running is about having the best dietician, trainers and track positioning strategy as well as the best legs. Professional motor-racing is about having the best tactics as well as the best car and driver. Etc.

It's a shame that that cheat program you mentioned is effective. I had not known about it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  15. mipfer

mipfer New Member

Congrats to the winners.

This is a competitive contest, even with those programs you knew that could work, it nots 100% of the time, you get a 1 point. It needs pin point accuracy and hell lots of testing to get a low score.

Got 2 points. Better luck next time.
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm03/6479450
    ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  16. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Congrats, I guess. Why did you put a space between every character in the URL?

17. mipfer

mipfer New Member

i cant post URL yet, so i have to put spaces.. :)

18. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I see. Thanks for fixing that, Craig.

Any plans to share your method mipfer? I'm curious that you underclocked your GPU. I found no effective way of creating a GPU bottleneck that slow, and stuck to CPU bottlenecking.

19. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the following winners.

FIRST ROUND WINNERS:

Code:
    HardwareHeaven: 1 3DMark: [URL="http://www.3dmark.com/3dm03/6478110"]vavyn[/URL]
    TechPowerUP:    1 3DMark: [URL="http://www.3dmark.com/3dm03/6478889"]attilio[/URL]
    Hardwareluxx:   3 3DMarks: [URL="http://www.3dmark.com/3dm03/6479129"]Pcexpert[/URL]
    ChipHell:       3 3DMarks: [URL="http://www.3dmark.com/3dm03/6478047"]ich3d[/URL]
    Each takes home a HAF XM Case, QuickFire Rapid Keyboard, Sentinel
    Adv. II Mouse, AMD FX8150 CPU and 990 FX Extreme 3 Motherboard!

Good luck for Round Two.

20. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Grats guys. Vavyn, reveal yourself :p