Pixel Shader 3.0 showcased in FarCry 1.2 Patch

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Jul 2, 2004.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

The new shader model path is obviously has a big impact on at least some aspects of FarCry -- that much is obvious from the benchmarks and in simply playing the game. Of course, the SM3.0 does not help the game everywhere or in every situation -- but overall the effect is a nice increase in playability on our test system.

read here

2. HardwareHeaven

"Just as Crytek had suggested to us, there were no differences in image quality going from the SM2.0 path in FarCry to the SM3.0 path. "

interesting .................

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

very nice info... should be expecting the patch quite soon i should think.

4. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Very intresting article, looks like ATI is having some real competition now.

5. Helios_D

Helios_D Banned

Yea, it should be out by next week. Too bad I won't be able to use SM3.0 though.

6. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

dx9b? or was it c?

7. Danhill

Danhill New Member

It was c, ps 3.0 only works with c.

8. evrt63

evrt63 New Member

aren't these the "optimized" Nvidia drivers that are for benchmarks only? i thought i heard something about that some where. if so i'd like to see the test run again with consumer drivers just to make sure.

9. HardwareHeaven

10. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

The Farcry path can only be run on 61.45 and above. AFAIK these are the current WHQL candidate drivers. 61.71 is the newest beta but is aimed at Quadro cards rather than desktop ones.

11. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  12. HardwareHeaven

" Even some of the benchmarks with which NVIDIA supplied us showed that the new rendering path in FarCry isn't a magic bullet that increases performance across the board through the entire game.

Image quality of both SM2.0 paths are on par with eachother, and the SM3.0 path on NVIDIA hardware shows negligable differences. The very slight variations are most likely just small fluctuations between the mathematical output of a single pass and a multipass lighting shader. The difference is honestly so tiny that you can't call either rendering lower quality from a visual standpoint. We will still try to learn what exactly causes the differences we noticed from CryTek.

The main point that the performance numbers make is not that SM3.0 has a speed advantage over SM2.0 (as even the opposite may be true), but that single pass per-pixel lighting models can significantly reduce the impact of adding an ever increasing number of lights to a scene.

It remains to be seen whether or not SM3.0 offer a significant reduction in complexity for developers attempting to implement this advanced functionality in their engines, as that will be where the battle surrounding SM3.0 will be won or lost. "

13. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

they mean noticeable...

when it comes to that most people can't see the differance between a 16,24 and 32 bit texture either

as has all ready been learned it's more ps 1.1 the it is ps 3.0

game makers should stop lineing thier pockets with NV's money and helping them look faster or even compairable to ati

14. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I for one never expected better IQ. PS3 is there to make it easier for developers to add all the fancy effects and to ensure they will be done in game with minimal impact to performance. nVidia is pushing PS3 like there's no tomorrow and this is a good thing for all of us. The sooner developers start playing with it the better they will get coding games for it. PS3 is the next logical step, kudos to nvidia for taking the first step in unknown waters. I think it will pay off for them in hte long run but only time will tell.

15. The_Neon_Cowboy

But nvidia is selling it like it's an super IQ increase and it's not, for nvidia it's all about the benchmarks and makeing thier hardware look good. Even though in the real world the card arent nearly as good it's fine becouse they will sell well as long as they "look good" and "look fast" with all thier optimzations. and nv specfic hirger fps lower IQ paths are added to games

16. dipstick

dipstick New Member

ATI and nVidia cards are side by side in benchmarks bud and IQ is no longer an issue if you've read the reviews. What do you think any company would do if they had features the other didn't? Come on man, they just want your money. ATi is not God and nVidia is not Satan, they're both greedy fat bastard kids. IMO nvidia has a super card called the GT, I would take that without second thought over the Pro any day of the week.

17. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

16 or none..

It really looks like you should be getting 16 Pipes or not bother at all.. That GT really kicks arse.

18. HardwareHeaven

Re: 16 or none..

I have to agree, the GT looks a wonderful board, good price too.

19. The_Neon_Cowboy

remove the cheats from thier drivers and take thier faster lower IQ nvida only paths out of games... and see how great that card is? less the the x800 i'm will to bet with out question....

heck before a driver update the 9800pro actually beat the 6800 in high aa/af in some cases.. How is that possable if thier card is such a wonder of modern science lol

How can you even caompair when nvida has layerd cheat on to cheat.... not to mention the aplication specfic optimzations based on file name. renameing far cry.exe to fart cry.exe rusluted in a considerable loss in FPS. The useing an ati device id results in anotther drop in FPS and actually fixes some IQ problems!

20. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

Nvidia 6800GT :drool: :drool: Neon, dude, Nvidia's cards are damn nice, ATI has some nice cards as well, I think we can all agree it's a great time for Graphics all around. But I would like to see documentation of these cheats if correct it'll affect my next purchase.