Plasma and LCD Killer Abandoned

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by Tahir Khan, May 26, 2010.

1. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Your info on plasma's is very outdated Judas. Burn is nearly impossible on modern plasmas, I've read many reports of people who had demo plasma's running news channels 24/7 for months and all it took was running the wipe feature on the panel to remove the logos. Image retention is still a factor for Plasma's; I have one of the worst offenders for IR (2009 Samsung) and after 500+ hours it's hardly noticeable and removable in seconds.

I've never heard of image quality being reduced after 2500-5000 hours and the HDTV crowd are some of the most scrutinizing consumers around. These guys will calibrate their friggen' tv if they move a lamp :D There has been massive backlash from Panasonic models that had black levels lighten over time if was you described happened then Plasma's wouldn't be purchased at all. I'm gonna have to call BS. :rolleyes:

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

definition of burn in .. half life..... the tvs i've seen lose their clarity or saturation in color... not necessarly turn dark suddenly.

This of course is still referring to tvs that have 2500 to 5000 + hours on them, for example the most commonly replaced tv is the plasmas at venues such as hotels and bars, a number of them quite frequently were getting plasmas because generally they are cheaper and the claim to fame for them was that they were best for "sports"... unfortunately they are first to fail or have problems. Plus a good number of these bars/clubs/whatever that have a crapload of them, find that a number of frequent guests have preferred the lcds even for sports events provided they were the better quality tv... such as something with motion interpolation.

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

You're misusing the term "burn in", it refers to permanent image retention or ghosting due to static images being displayed for too long. I wouldn't be surprised if older plasma's had a high failure rate, even the '09 models from all major manufacturers had serious design flaws (buzzing,declining black levels) so there's still improvements to be made before truly reliable plasma's are on the market.

4. Judas

of course practice makes perfect.

burn in has been misused quite often .. sorry.. but anything that degrades and causing picture quality reduction even if it doesn't necessarly leave a permanent stuck image on the screen, but rather does other things due to use... is still burn in.. no different then burn in on a cpu or car or whatever....

5. dipstick

dipstick New Member

New models are a lot better judas. Panasonic rated half-life for 2010 is 60,000 hours; a very long time even if used 16 hours a day. 5,000 hours is really not much at all and some probably do that in a year or so. Also you can't judge a plasma on the showroom floor. None can match the face melting brightness of any decent lcd and as a result look much worse in bright environments. They are also thicker, heavier and definitely not as sexy which does not help them out at all. There is no perfect TV yet which is why we are all still waiting;)
    But there is an undeniable difference in price. For about $1,000 you can get a 50" panasonic s2 which is near impossible to beat

6. Judas

yeah that's why i mentioned the bars...

they never get shut off.... over 8000 hours per year...

7. Tahir Khan

Tahir Khan Hardware Geek

A lot of misconceptions in some of the replies here.

As to half life - 60,000 hours is 6.849 years!

LCD's have a similar lifespan so that is a non-issue in any case.

As to what is best, Plasma or LCD? Buy whatever you think is best.