Playing old Need for Speed titles is easy to do these days

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Judas, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

A lot of developers and programmers these days appear to be digging up old games from their youth and getting them running under windows 10 on modern hardware by whatever means necessary.

A lot of the games, specially the need for speed 2 and 3 games use a 16bit installer which hasn't been supported properly since vista launched and would even bugger up in windows xp, NFS2se for example was murder trying to get running properly even under windows xp.

However using "modern patch" made by some of these guys, getting the game running flawlessly is pretty much just a matter of not even installing the game, but rather just dropping 2 folders or copying the original cd's contents to a folder, then extracting the modern patch files and replacing anything that asks to be replaced, run the configurator if one exists, selecting Glide3x if you wish to run any resolution you want, and then making sure you got the latest nGlide installed.

There is only one thing i miss however, EAX or rather just proper multi-channel surround in the nfs3 and 4 games as environmental was good and you could distinctly hear where they were coming from. Sadly we're stuck in stereo mode only unless some developer out there finally manages to build a proper EAX to audio wrapper as well. I did do a search for one but mostly just points to having never worked solutions such as alchemy or realtek's offerings.

Last night i just recorded this game, and playing @ 4k 120hz is utterly fantastic, though the video/recording is obviously limited to 60fps, it still looks good. I recorded using 3dfx glide to vulkan libraries provided by nglide because when i tried recording with directx libraries, my recording software appeared to disagree, so when running them in vulkan, i can't force FSAA at all, which when in directx mode, looks incredible.

Trusteft likes this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Need for speed: 2 SE is still one of my all time favorite racing games ever.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Calliers and Trusteft like this.