PlayStation 4 HDR Patches Could Cost Money

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by MIG-31, Sep 9, 2016.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

PlayStation 4 will be bringing high dynamic range support to existing games, but it could end up costing you to get the patches.

Earlier this week, Sony confirmed that an upcoming update will make all existing PS4s HDR-compatible, and the general assumption was that HDR patches for games would subsequently arrive for free.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

This is seriously not cool.

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Report: PS4 4K HDR Patches Are Free, Despite Earlier Info

Source: Games Informer

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Yay! Pity my 4K monitor doesn't do HDR, my TV on the other hand does although I'm going to be using my PS4 Pro with it and my regular PS4 with my 4K monitor in my bedroom.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Any word on just when "next week" is? What day/date?

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I don't understand why we suddenly need special TVs and monitors for HDR? Unless we're talking about some special, ultra high contrast models. We've had HDR in games, films and photos for ages and we never needed special TVs, monitors or paper to view or print them.

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

SHUT UP AND GIVES US YOUR MONEY! After you buy the new type of PS4 and XBONE that is.

IvanV likes this.
  8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

it's not the "same" HDR.... the HDR in games tried to "fool" and squeeze out every little thing they can from the existing display technology.... the results of which were higher fidelity in games... but mostly irrelevant for the display itself... they weren't the same... specially when 6bit displays were still the norm and true 8bit ones were still expensive as hell.

There are actually VERY few displays the fully support HDR... there is a PILE of extra data associated in order to get HDR that other displays simply can't handle OR could, but their panels are limited.

For example The Samsung 6 and 7 series displays aren't HDR compliant... although a little bit of looking at there are quite a few 7 series 7500's that can... through modifiction made in the deep service menus, on models that have the necessary chips that handle the HDR information).. though the display of these models of tvs don't do it as good justice.. but the quality of the panels are fantastic.... you do get partial bump in HDR content and the devices that run the HDR check will confirm HDR support and implement it which DOES change the image considerably enough.

Series8 and onwards with the SUHD models are HDR compliant... they use a true 10 bit 4:4:4 panel and show off the true potential of the additional HDR provided they have the full or close to full RGB spectrum support too.

If you wanted to have a comparison of what it's like to experience it.... it's kinda like going from 8bit color in games (256 colors) to 16bit color (65536 colors)

Shade/color gradients for modern tvs are typically 16-255 with better ones capable of full 0-255... with HDR.. these values are rendered mostly meaningless as the greatly expand it much akin to the 8bit vs 16bit.

If you wanted another analogy.... it's kind of like having a 60hz input only monitor... but feeding it 120 or 160 or 180 or higher frames per second.... all that extra information is simply never going to be seen since your current monitor/display is strictly limited to 60fps.... and of course.. you're not going to see any benefit/difference.... HOWEVER if you buy a specially 120/144/160hz panel... then you'll definitely see a difference from the 60fps you had before.

9. Trusteft

You are clearly not a FPS gamer.
    The difference between 60 and 120fps even with a 60hz monitor can be felt just fine.
    As for the rest...nah, it's all bs in real terms.

10. Judas

That's placebo..... in blind tests there is no difference... the exception to this is only input lag for specific "better" quality systems... which is still measurably minute.

Unless you're talking about minimum frame rates.. then any even slight deviation from 60fps or maximum display frame rates always being pegged on a monitor.... then yes.. because obviously at 120fps... minimums aren't going to ever drop below the monitors limitations.

120fps on a 120hz display panel is a completely different game.

11. Trusteft

....unfortunately I can't reply as you deserve.
    Sure, everything you say is spot on.

12. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

A lot of engines behave slightly differently depending on the framerate. I don't just mean the infamous CoD 100 or 144 or whatever fps glitch, quite a few times I've noticed significant input lag in a number of titles that occurs when the fps drop to a certain level (even though the animation itself isn't yet choppy). Actually, it doesn't simply appear, it's there all the time, but it's more pronounced at lower and less at higher framerates. By the time it hits 60fps, it's always been more than good enough for me, but I'll allow that the hardcore crowd could tell the difference between that and an even higher performance level.

Trusteft likes this.
  13. Judas

Oh any of the titles that use framerate as a bases... plenty of them hard locked or intentionally meant to play at 30fps ... but allowed to hit 60fps.... and anything higher really start to cause some weirdness ... for better.. or worse..