Please! Turn off Automatic site forwarding!...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Announcements' started by nbarzgar, Apr 24, 2007.

1. nbarzgar

nbarzgar New Member

Hello moderators,

I am a German user of this forum. I know English reasonably well and neither had problems reading nor posting. Just now I tried to get onto "driverheaven.net" as usual and found that my browser (latest Firefox as well as Opera v 9.2) is automatically forwarded to a German driverheaven-site! :sigh:

Now I think it's a nice idea to have it, but

1. there are - yet - no posts to speak of there and

2. I would prefer to decide myself, which language/i.e. site I want to visit! Just now I was able to enter the English forum only by clicking the "Driverheaven Downloads"-link first, than chose "Forum". The next drawback is that now the site descriptions are in Dutch! I do not know that language...

Thanks for any alterations/suggestions in advance. :rolleyes:

2. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

There should be a union jack on the very top menu bar on the right clicking this should set a cookie which will makesure you are not redirected in future.

Please let me know if you are having issues with this feature.

Craig

3. nbarzgar

nbarzgar New Member

Thank you, but there are one or two drawbacks:

1. I use Opera and K-Meleon browsers a lot and love them. In both the described method seems not to be working.

2. I set all my browsers (Firefox, Opera and K-Meleon) to "delete all private data on exit" (or similar), so the "Cookie-solution" would most probably not be working anyway.

Thanks for any help.

4. eXtermia

eXtermia New Member

I am an american in Germany and I understand German really well too but I want the main DH site (I may visit the other one of course) I ahve DH in my allow list for cookies but still grr redirecting is getting annoying :)

5. phoenixphylok

phoenixphylok Mega-Lurker

I am in the same boat here, American living in Germany, but i don't read hardly any Deutsche. I guess the site determines the redirect based on IP address. I use IE7, but everytime I click on the Union Jack, I guess the cookie doesn't take. It tries to get to the english site, but then re-redirects back to the German one. After looking at the page source, to an untrained eye, the cookie lines look conflicting to me. But anyway... IT'S BROKEN! Please fix. Or make the go to DE page the optional cookie!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  6. HolyAvenger

HolyAvenger New Member

Well, I have a issue with it. German user as well, and as well annoyed by the redirection, especially since the union jack link doesn't work for me. I click, it loads...and I'm back on the german page.

Please please please get rid of autoforwarding. Being offered a choice to view the site in german is nice, being forced there as default is not.

7. steve3110

steve3110 Staff

Hi Guys,

Sorry about this. We knew there would be those who preferred the original site that they are used too which is why we tried to cater for them by using this cookie method.

I have made an amendment to the script and it should now work as it was intended. I have tested it in IE7, Netscape, Firefox and Opera.

Sorry nbarzgar. nothing I can do for you mate. But if you delete all cookies as you do I'm sure you are used to such things and are happy to live with the inconvenience for your own peace of mind.

Lets hope this problem has been put to bed now, particularly for Zardon who has been chewing my a*!s about it for days.

Sorry I didn’t get it right first time.

Steve

8. HolyAvenger

HolyAvenger New Member

Apparently works, I no longer get autoforwarded :)

9. phoenixphylok

phoenixphylok Mega-Lurker

WOOT! Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou... On a less ecstatic note, Much appreciated, i guess my cookie existed, but the script wasnt un-redirecting me properly before, because i didn't have to click on the union jack today!