Plextor exits Consumer CD DVD markets

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: WesleyTech
    Shinanokenshi (the parent company of Plextor) has decided to exit the market for consumer CD and DVD products. The Plextor brand name will remain for industry use products and digital playback units for the visually impaired. Shinanokenshi has announced that their optical drive operations will be reduced to 10% of its peak capacity. These actions will also lead to reduced workforce at Shinanokenshi.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  2. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Sad really since they are some of the best drives, but their quality has been going down hill.

3. shadowfield

shadowfield New Member

Ive have two plextor drives and I love them very much. I was planning on getting another drive of theirs when i build a new computer in the future >_< I guess I'll have to change my plans.

4. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

OMG - that is HUGE news.

Reason I veered away from using them was that they were very expensive compared to the others in the market, like Lite-On. I would see the 760 drive for $99 and a Lite-On 165H6S for only $32.99 or whatever, and would ask myself "How can I justify spending that much more for a single drive?"

Still, I'm sad to see them go.

They were the first ones to have Burn-Proof in their 12x CD drive, if I remember right, and that drive was hardcore awesome in quality.

5. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

always heard of their quality and all, but never heard of anything that justified them being usually 2x+ other drives, What made them so good?

6. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

In the beginning it was their reliability, build and burn quality and the bundled software. It was worth every penny of the price, I felt.

But when the competition started catching up, Plextor didn't seem to be able to respond. When they started selling Re-Badged brands under the Plextor name, I think something that made them special was lost for good.

7. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

I have a plexwriter Premium and it's been worth every penny of the $140 it was, even at a tiem when a CDRW could be had for $50