PluginQL -- A kX Addon

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Russ, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

PluginQL (Plugin Quick Launcher) -- A kX Addon

The original purpose of this addon was to enable the use of hotkeys to open the tweak window for kX plugins. Since then it has been expanded such that it can be used to open/close various kX windows using hotkeys (and kX automation, through the plugin interface).

The current versions can be downloaded from here.

It uses ALT-SHIFT-NUM_KEY (the number keys at top of keyboard, not the ones on the numpad), to set the active mode, and CTRL-SHIFT-KEY_NUM to perform the action assigned to that KEY_NUM, in the current mode.

i.e.
    'ALT-SHIFT-5' will set the current mode to 5.
    'CTRL-SHIFT-6' will perform the action assigned to that keystroke, in that mode.
    (i.e. with the default settings, the above actions will open kxmixer to the Soundfont page).

An optional on screen display (OSD) is included that indicates the current Mode/Device (Note: Transparency of the OSD can be adjusted using the Mouse Wheel when the OSD has the focus, and right clicking on the OSD brings up a context menu that allows you to adjust some of the OSD's settings ("Allow Move" must be enabled, and the OSD must have the focus in order to access these settings)).

A plugin interface is included for using kX automation to perform the same actions as the hotkeys.

Any comments or ideas regarding this addon are welcome.

To install:
    Place the plugin and addon wherever you want them to stay on your hard drive.
    Install the plugin as with any other plugin.
    For the addon, register the addon, and then restart kX mixer (if you are overwriting a previous version, make sure kxmixer is closed first, as it cannot overwrite the file while it is in use).

The addon does the actual handling of the hotkeys, so it needs to be loaded (and enabled) for the hotkeys to work.
    The plugin is used for kX automation. It only needs to be loaded when you want to use kX automation to control the addon.

-Russ

Current List of possible hotkey actions:
    --------------------------------------------
    Open/Close Plugin tweak window for specific plugin#
    Open/Close kX Mixer
    Open/Close kX Mixer to specific page
    Open/Close kX DSP
    Open/Close kX Router
    Open/Close kX Editor
    Open/Close kX Automation
    Open/Close kX Remote
    Open/Close kX Soundfont
    Open/Close kX Console
    Open/Close kX About
    Open/Close kX Help
    Open/Close Setup Buffers
    Open/Close Synth Compatibility
    Open/Close Driver Compatibility
    Open/Close OSD Notifications
    Open/Close SPDIF/I2S Status
    Open/Close ASIO Control Panel
    Open/Close 24/96 Router
    Open/Close Speaker Test
    Toggle Swap Front and Rear
    Toggle DOO mode
    Toggle Route HP to Center/Sub
    Toggle SPDIF Bypass
    Toggle AC3 PassThru
    Select Device
    Close All Plugin windows
    Close All Applet windows
    Close All windows
    Open/Close PluginQL Settings window

Thanks to Maddogg6 for help with testing :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

nice idea - any chance of adding an "alt" to the keystroke to acess those plugins numbered above 10?

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yes, that is done easily enough. The main concern is to try and not use any keystroke combos that might be used for other purposes. I had planned on adding more, but thought I would wait and see what people think about the idea, and try and get an idea of what the max number should be based on user feedback (I do not have a 10k2 card, so am not sure how many plugins people with those cards generally have loaded at the same time, etc.). Also, I wanted to make sure there are no bugs, as I had to use some workarounds to get it to work as an addon. At some point I might make it more customizable, but I will have to play around with it some more to see what limits are with addons, etc.

-Russ

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Added ALT-SHIFT-NUMBER_KEY sequences for plugins 11-20.

5. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Hey Russ:

I tried the 1st one and I reinstalled 3538i just to be sure I was using the right version of kX. I double clicked on the /kXa file and it said 2 something was registered. But when I did the CTRL Shift Number on the Numberpad, nothing happened.

I went and got the new file but when I try to unpack it, I get an error that says "Cannot create PluginQL.kxa Access is denied" When I download the new file. it says the size is 7.25kb. Is that the right size?

EDIT:

What an idiot I am!!! Nevermind the 1st file works, I just had to use the number keys by the letter keys on the keyboard. I tried that earlier but I uninstalled and reinstall the driver since, yet didnt try it with the new install of drivers.

But I think the new file is messed up.

LOL Russ, this is really cool man!!!!! You brought some more excitemenmt around here, after it was getting kinda dead. Thanks a lot man!!!!:D

This quick Launch deal is cool for me with SONAR when I have a good number of softsynths and other plugins in a project, I used to have to minimized SONAR to get to the kX DSP sometimes and that was a pain because when I restore SONAR, I'd have to minimize all the softsynth and other plugin User Interfaces to see the tracks in the project. So you can see this creation of yours is really cool, helping me to avoid all that. hehe Thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  6. thomasabarnes

LOL this is really Kool!!!

I see what you were up to now, when you were asking those techie questions not too long ago. Great job man!!!!

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, remember that after you register the addon, you have to exit kx mixer and restart it before it will work (not sure why it is like that, but it appears to be an addon thing). Also, you cannot replace the file while it is in use (that is why you got the error with the new version), so exit kx mixer, replace the old version with the new version and start kx mixer (no need to re-register it if you are replacing the previous version).

-Russ

8. thomasabarnes

Awl heck! I didnt close kX Mixer when I tried to unpack the new file. That was the problem. But I did the 1st time after I registered the .kxa. :)

Thanks again!

BTW, I wish the kX About had the information about what specific kX Version driver is installed, like 3538i, or 3538h. When I reinstalled the driver, I'm not sure if it was 2538i or 3538h I had installed. So, I really dont know what the problem was the 1st time I registered the addon tried to use it.

Anyway, it's working right, now for 1-10 and 11-20. But my DSP with the most plugins is only 11.

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hehe, thanks.
    It is really basic, but I think it is useful, and the idea could be extended to possibly control other parts of kX as well.

10. thomasabarnes

That's Good news, Russ! I'll be following this thread to see what else you might come up with.:)

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The first time you tried, you were using the numbers on the numpad, right? I probably should have mentioned that it is not the numbers on the numpad, but I hadn't thought about that. In any case thanks for letting me know that it works for you now. Let me know if you encounter any bugs.

-Russ

<edit>
    I just saw the 'BTW' in your previous post (I am not sure how I missed it before). I think that if your were using the wrong version of kX, that you would get an error when you tried to register it, but I cannot be sure.

12. Tiger M

Tiger M kX user

Very cool!
    Great job.

13. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Thanks Tiger :)

14. thomasabarnes

Sorry for being off topic, but Hi Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

15. Tiger M

Tiger M kX user

16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Minor update:

I removed the "NULL" entry in ' kxaddon_list_t' in addon.cpp (that I mentioned in another thread), as I do not think it is needed (it is not needed for plugins). This gets rid of a debug error message, and makes kX register only 1 addon instead of 2. Also, I forget to change the name in the registry, so I modified that as well. It is not realy a big deal, so if you already downloaded and registered the plugin, do not worry about this update.

I also added a 3538h version, but I could not test it. Let me know if there are any problems with this version. (AFAIK: 3537 does not support addons, so there will not be a 3537 version).

BTW: I also added an unregister script to the download page to remove the registry entries created by this addon (if you want to uninstall it, and do not want to delete the keys manually).

I added another download link to the 1st post of this thread.

17. PITmaster

PITmaster New Member

Fantastic job! Very useful, thanks :)
    One thing, works only with my second card (card1= Audigy2), doesn't work with card0 (EMUAPS).

PITmaster

18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, I had wondered about that, but had no way of testing it.

I think it is probably only working with which ever device was chosen when you first started kX mixer. What happens when you use it with the other card chosen? (i.e. does it do nothing, or does it open the wrong plugin? ,etc).

19. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

I have a pair of soundcards at my disposal. Let me know if you have any tests you need carried out

20. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks dj_stick,
    I think it should be a simple fix. I added a test version (PluginQL_Test.zip (3538i version)) to this site. If you could just see if that version works correctly with multiple cards, it would be a great help.

-Russ