PluginQL -- A kX Addon

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Russ, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The z-ordering for top level windows is not quite as configurable as it would be for child windows. The foreground window basically gets the priority, so if two windows are set to be top most, the active window would be the one at the top of the z-order.

As for the possibility of it going off of the screen when switching to a different screen resolution, that is the reason that I added the 'Reset Position' option (which moves it back to the top-left corner of the screen). I had considered having it try to re-align itself under such circumstances, but honestly it seemed to me that the extra work/code probably would not be worth it in this case.

As always, thanks for the input/feedback :)

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Doh - I guess you did take this into account... my bad. :S
    Like I said - no biggy at all.. I <3 the OSD.

3. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Hi Russ:

I've been away too long. I need to use this add on. I registered the pluginQL for 3538l and I see it in the Add Ons section of the kX Menu. I can even open up the PluginQL settings window, but when I use Ctrl Shift #1 nothing happens. MX8 is the #1 applet in my DSP, and I thought that's what should open up. Is Ctrl Shift # still the hot key combination for mode 1 of the add on? What am I doing wrong?

Good to be back :)

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hi thomasabarnes, good to see you around here again :)

Make sure that "Enable Hotkeys" has a check mark next to it in the PluginQL addon menu.

Also, make sure that you use the number keys at the top of the keyboad (as opposed to those on the number pad).

-Russ

5. thomasabarnes

Thanks for the welcome back. hehe

Enable hot keys is checked and I'm using the number keys by the letters.

I'm stumpped! I don't know what's wrong. The pluginQL settings are set to default. 1) Plugin# on the left ; 1 on the right, 2) Plugin# on the left; 2 on the right, etc.

Do I need to change any of that?

Also to install the PluginQL add on, I just double clicked and 2 plugins registered. I tried to use the add on and nothing happened. I went and double clicked the addon againg, same thing happened. Didi I mess someting up.

I have a new machine AMD Atholon 4600+ Dual core with 2Gigs of ram.:) I hope it's not something in the new PC that's causing the add on not to work.

I'm stumped. I don't know how to register a kX plugin, so I think the PluginQL may not be registered, but since I read you stating that it's only needed for automation, I'm thinking registered or not shouldn't intefere with the add on working.

HELP!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hmm...
    To register both the plugin and the addon, just double-click on both files (PluginQL.kxa and PluginQL.kxl), and then restart kxmixer (needed for the addon). I am guessing that you did it right, since the addon is shown on the menu. Re-registering it should not cause any problems (and as you thought, the plugin is only need for automation).

As for the settings, you can change them however you want, but you should not need to do anything to make it work, other then use the correct hotkey combination.

i.e.
    If MX8 is plugin [8] in the DSP, then CTRL-SHIFT-8 should open the tweak window for it (with the default settings).

Make sure that you are in the right mode (use the OSD or menu to confirm).

I cannot think of any reason why it would not work with your new system, unless those hotkeys are allready being used by another program.

BTW: You could also try using kX Automation with the plugin loaded, as that should work even if the hotkeys do not.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  7. thomasabarnes

Thanks for the reply Russ:

I'm still an idiot. The addon is working. I was using Ctrl Start #. Geez!
    There's a key that has Start written on it, and I wasn't looking close enough, thinking it said Shift. Doh

Begging your pardon.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hehe, I am glad you were able to figure it out. :)

9. thomasabarnes

Hey Russ:

This really is a useful Add On, and the transparency feature of the Settings window is really nice!

Also the Add On revision that makes it not necessary to load or use the PluginQL plugin to adjust the ADD On setting is an enhanced and nice revision, in my opinion.

The KX Project has a truely useful rich feature set with the contributions that programmers and users like you make!

Thanks for your work Russ.:)

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Added 3539 version. Download link in first post of this thread.

11. osm0sis

osm0sis Member

Hey Russ, I find this addon immensely useful. Thank you so much for making it in the first place, however kX Driver 3550 just came out recently, so I was wondering if there was a new version of PluginQL in the works at all that would be supported by these newer revisions. Thanks again.

-osm

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I have a version compiled for 3548 (32 bit) that should work with 3550, but I really have not had a chance to test everything out as of yet. You can play around with it if you want: Link

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  13. osm0sis

osm0sis Member

Fantastic! Thanks so much! I'll let you know if I discover anything peculiar in running it.

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Oops, I forgot to include the plugin (for MIDI automation)...

Download the file again if you need the plugin.

15. osm0sis

osm0sis Member

For some reason the 3550 build isn't recognized as a valid addon by kX in Windows 7. Am I doing something wrong? Does it work for anyone else?

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Are you using 32 bit or 64bit win7? Also, I'm not sure if it's been ported to 3550 or if it needs to be....... Russ would know, he's the man.

17. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

As Tyrsonswood indicated, it is currently only available for the 32 bit version of kX. Beyond that, I do not know. I have Windows XP, so I have not done any testing on Vista/7, but I cannot think of any reason why the addon registration process would be any different on those OS's (32 bit).

18. osm0sis

osm0sis Member

Yeah it's the same machine as before, same kX version. Just upgraded the OS. 32bit Win7, 3550, so I have no idea why it wouldn't work. I just redownloaded the package to make sure my copy didn't get corrupted somehow. "Error: Invalid plugin library" is still all the mixer gives me when trying to load. Regardless of elevation (tried rerunning the mixer as Admin and doing it), and regardless of file placement (tried Desktop since I thought Program Files might have been causing an ownership issue with loading). Baffling.

19. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Wait a second... I think I know what the problem is. The addon has the following dependencies:

MFC71.DLL
    MSVCR71.DLL

I guess I must have used VS .NET 2003 when I compiled that for 3548... And I bet you do not have those dll's.

When I have the chance I will try recompiling the addon and see about removing those dependencies.

20. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I recompiled the addon removing those dependencies. Download the new version and give it a try.