PluginQL -- A kX Addon

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Russ, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Regarding saving different settings with different configs... I am not sure how that works with Addons, so I will have to look into it. I have not seen any addon settings in any of the config files as of yet, so I am not completely sure it is possible to do it like that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

This is easy to live without - the open - open/close window thing is much more desirable.

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, It was a good thing to look into anyway, as that is what led to figuring out the 3538i drum thing. I was reading the config file looking for any sections that might contain addon data, and saw the midi drum channel setting, and that got me thinking about that issue again.

I will add the open/close toggle in one way or another. I am not sure as of yet if I will do it for all kX windows or just plugins, or what, but I will at least do it for plugins that have a tweak window ( plugins that return something other than "None" for get_user_interface() ).

4. PITmaster

PITmaster New Member

Yes, it's possible.

PITmaster

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for the info.

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: You should uninstall this addon (using the .reg file) before installing any kX updates as it may not be compatible with newer kX versions.

The .reg file also removes the settings, so if you want to save the settings, back up the following registry key (before using the .reg file): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\kX\PluginQL_Addon

7. Smiro

Smiro New Member

How bout a version for the 3538j ?

I tried the latest beta from your site but doesn't seem to work.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I have been busy testing some other things out, so I haven't had a chance to work on this lately. I think it should work with 3538j, as the kX API did not change much from 3538i (3538i plugins work in 3538j), but have not tested it as of yet. In any case, I will update it when I have a chance.

9. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

The .3538i version doesnt seem to work with .3538j. There are 2 files in the .zip, do we need to move one or both anywhere?

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, I tested the 3538i version and it does not work with 3538j. I will have to go through the SDK code and run some tests to see what changed.

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I figured out what is going on with 3538j.
    It appears that init() is fixed for addons, but now load_settings() does not get called automatically, and that is why is is not working. In any case, I can call load_settings() manually, and it works.

Last time I was working on this, I was playing around with the open/close plugin window toggle, but then I stopped to wait and see if there was going to be any changes in 3538j that would affect this, so I have not implemented some of the things I wanted to, as of yet.

For the time being, I can either make the 3538j version the same as the 3538i version, or I can make it so that the tweak_plugin option is a toggle (which means that it will only open/close plugin windows that have a real tweak window (i.e. it will not open the tweak window for plugins like epilog, FxBus, Prolog, etc, but those windows can still be opened using the other options), and it will work as an open/close toggle (again the toggle is only for plugin tweak windows)). Which way would you guys prefer it to be for now?

BTW: Regarding the 3538h and 3538i versions, is there any reason to keep those versions around?

12. thomasabarnes

Anyway is good Russ, and I think it's a good idea to keep 3538h around. hehe 3538h is the best 3538 driver version that windows 98 users can use.

13. Smiro

Smiro New Member

Personally i want this plugin so that i open my MX6 without right click on task bar, dsp, ecc.

So either way would work for me :)

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I am not sure that is true. I tried 3538h on Windows ME and it wasn't reliable. I couldn't load the majority of the plugins, because the effects menu would crash kX when trying to display any submenu's (for plugin categories like Default, Basic, ..., ProFX, EFX, etc). IIRC, Max M. stated that any 3538 version has significant incompabilities with Win98SE / WinME, and that 3537 is the lastest version that should be used with those OS's. With that in mind, the only reason I could think to use 3538h, is if you have Win98SE / WinME , and your card doesn't work in 3537 (but does in 3538h). In any case, I guess, I will keep the 3538h version around for a while but I am pretty sure that there is no need for the 3538i version, so I will probably get rid of that.

15. thomasabarnes

That's a quote from this thread: http://driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=75253&highlight=win+support

I'm saying 3538h is the best version for win 98 support because technically it's the last version (and best ASIO performance) release that is suppose to work with Win 98. Chit man, people encounter bugs every now and then. But, tecnically, 3538h is the last kx version that Win 98 users should be able to use.

Just trying to look out for thos Win 98 users. But this addon is your creation. Do what you want to do.

16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I added the 3538j version to the download pages. I went for the version with the open/close toggle for now (otherwise it should be the same as the previous version). I haven't done a lot of testing with it as of yet, so as usual, there may be some bugs.

Again, to install:
    Place the plugin and addon wherever you want them to stay on your hard drive.
    Install the plugin as with any other plugin.
    For the addon, regisiter the addon, and then restart kX mixer (if you are overwirting a previous version, make sure kx mixer is closed first, as it cannot overwrite the file while it is in use).

The addon does the actual handling of the hotkeys, so it needs to be loaded (and enabled) for the hotkeys to work.
    The plugin serves as a GUI to configure the addon, and is used for kX automation. It only needs to be loaded when you want to change the settings, or use kX automation to control the addon.

17. thomasabarnes

Thank you Russ. It's working good here.

18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Let me know if you have any problems, etc.

19. thomasabarnes

BTW, it's great how the Plugin works so we can have Ctrl Shift# to open any Object number in the DSP. This is a great job you have done. Really thanks!

20. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: I haven't forgotten about people's suggestions, etc.
    I still have a bunch of things on the TODO list for this.
    i.e.
    Open/Close toggle as an option.
    A close all kX windows option (still need to test this).
    Card selection option for multicard setups.
    Saving different settings for different configs.
    etc.