Politicos threaten schools over campus piracy

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: News.com
    ________
    WASHINGTON--Politicians on Tuesday threatened to enact new laws if universities don't do more to prevent their students from unlawfully swapping music, movies and other copyrighted files on campus networks.

At the latest in what has become a multiyear series of hearings focused on university campus piracy, members of the U.S. House of Representatives' Science and Technology Committee said college administrators must seriously consider using not only educational campaigns but also technological filters to reduce illicit file swapping among students.

2. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

The cost to prevent this is extreme. The last thing we need is to hike up the already too expensive costs! A private school did that here and it costed them $250,000 for all the equipment to monitor and prevent any file sharing.

3. Zeph

Zeph New Member

I think this is humerous in relation to my day yesterday. I spent two hours trying to get my cellphone replaced at an Alltel store. I got to overhear the sales of various mp3 phones. The Alltel employees reccomended using *insert file sharing program* as that's what they use.