positional audio is ....?

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by bpaul8, Dec 11, 2003.

1. bpaul8

bpaul8 New Member

I have the latest kx driver installed with sb live value. But in quake 3 for example I cannot distinguish a person jumping and making noises from high platform vs low platform. like its really hard to tell where the person is with sound.. I used to use the older creative drivers and they seem to work fine. Is there anything I'm missing? I can tell if the person is left or right of me with sounds but high/low is really difficult and it wasnt like this with the creative drivers. I realize kx is still evolving but any pointers to fix this?

My setup is this ->
    sblive value card with just front output and rear output on the card. I just want only one output to work at a time (ie i have speakers hooked up on one and headsets hooked up on the other and switch between the two using SWAP rear/front in the mixer as needed)

The DSP is setup as default and im not quite sure which surrounder setting i should be using 2.0(no surround or surround?) or 4.0(no surround or surround?) Or do i have to rewire the dsp differently and use the downmix plugin or something because I only want to use one ouput and I dont have all the extra output like sub and such that are available in other recent soundcards?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  2. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

I played around with DirectSound3D Hardware mode in RightMark 3DSound 1.0 from audio.rightmark.org and hardware DS3D sound in kX is definitely quieter if the sound is positioned above or below the center. It may be that with the Creative drivers it also does some kind of other spatialization effect(s) like muffling the sound? There's nothing else that I can think of that can be done without having another speaker above and/or below the listener for vertical sound.

3. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

kX Driver doesn't handle the elevation of the sound source properly
    CL & Microsoft drivers add special filtering for elevated sounds -- while kX doesn't
    so, if you really need this, disable hardware acceleration in your game

/E

4. bpaul8

bpaul8 New Member

dang. That is pretty important in gaming especially in competitive multplayer :) . Oh well i guess i have to go back to creative until kx is developed further. Keep up the good work on the drivers!

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

5. kelesh

kelesh New Member

What happens when you disable hardware accelerations? Why does this help?

6. Soeren_B

Soeren_B kX Project DSP Engineer

When hardware acceleration is turned off your game will use Microsoft's software engine to render the 3D sound field rather than the soundcard hardware. (AFAIK)

/Soeren

7. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

But won't turning off acceleration make things sound worse instead of better if you have more than a simple stereo speaker setup?

8. HolyAvenger

HolyAvenger New Member

Hehe, I wonder when the first speaker systems with an actual top speaker appear. Firm mounting is advisable, lest the speaker might land on your head :D

9. Soeren_B

Soeren_B kX Project DSP Engineer

ROFL

-sb