possible memory errors need x64 troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by BiGBrOwNPimpsta, Jan 17, 2009.

1. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

for the past few months, I have been receiving annoying BSOD errors. I think my OCZ ram is messed. I need to trouble shoot the ram, but there is nothing I can use for vista 64 bit. The windows memory diagnostic gives me an error saying the "the diagnostic cannot run properly not because of the WMD, not your computer" and it hasn't been updated since vista came out. 32bit or 64bit doesn't matter since it is not running in windows. memtest86 didn't open because it was for x86 i guess. what to do guys? i need to troubleshoot the ram, if need be I will do it module by module but I prefer to do it in one shot. I will post a screen fo the BSOD, it cannot even complete the memory dump. In addition, I dusted out the systems and reapplied thermal paste, the vid card is too hot to touch quite often, but it has been like that since day 1.

2. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

memtest86+ should work, I run it on my machine just like I did on my old P4. Does it show any error or it just doesn't start at all?

3. Richie-b

Richie-b In the corner

You can download a bootable version of memtest and burn it to a cd/floppy, boot off the cd/floppy and memtest will automatically start.

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

There's also Vistas own Memory Diagnostics. Just make sure you change it to run the full test when it starts, or the short test may be too simple.

5. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

memtest86 didnt wanna extract properly... it was an exe.. let me try again? as for the BSOD, this is the one I got today

[​IMG]

sometimes its an IRQ_NON_POOL error or something as well. either way, it fails to complete a memory dump

edit: I have to find another utility to burn ISOs because nero install messed up on me and now it wont uninstall. I guess I have to reformat its retarded. Blindwrite I think can burn ISOs?

6. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

Did you always have that problem with this computer? Did you add more RAM at some point?

Verify that you have the latest bios for your motherboard. If you don't, look at the release notes to see if the newer version of the bios increases memory compatibility.

I had that problem with my current computer when I first built it. It uses 4 identical OCZ sticks of memory. It would crash randomly when I used more than one stick of RAM and even when I used only one, it only worked with one or two of the sticks even if they were supposed to be identical. A bios update fixed the problem.

Also, verify on OCZ website what's the voltage for your model of RAM. Maybe it uses a non-standard voltage and your motherboard gives the RAM the wrong voltage.

That also happens with my motherboard and RAM, I think. I'm using DDR3 memory. The motherboard default voltage for the RAM (when you don't set any voltage manually) is 1.5V. However, when I take a look at the webpage for my RAM at OCZ website, it says in the specs of the RAM that it's made to run at 1.8V. Running the RAM at 1.5V works even if it's lower than the specs but it might causes issues so I manually set the voltage in the bios to 1.8V.

7. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

latest update added new cpu support for the board, but no reported fixes. I added the ram maybe in winter 2007 or so. it was fine after. i want to first trouble shoot each ram module to see if I run into problems there. i think your suggestion is step 2.

8. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Try to remove all ram sticks but one. And try swapping them.

It's odd, memtest86+ runs on 32 and 64 bit computers. Burn yourself a boot CD with memtest6+ or a USB key. Do it on another computer if you can't manage it on yours.

It does indeed look like it's a memory problem.

9. Richie-b

Richie-b In the corner

Do you get any error message's("Windows has recovered from a serious error") when you boot back into vista ? Check the product id, if it is 256_1, this usually points to the graphics card/drivers.

I used to get(still do with an ati card) random crashes/bsod with the same fault on vista x64 with my previous 8800gts. I blamed the drivers mostly, something not loading properly i guess.
    I seemed to get more success with some of the modded driver sets that are available, they were a lot more stable.
    If you have driver cleaner, I would recommend using it and then trying a different set of drivers.
    Also my 8800gts used to top out at around 88c with the stock heatsink, so it's nothing to worry about :D

10. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

it used to, but that was when it could do a memory dump. now it just never succeeds. After much trying, got friggin memtest86+ to burn to a disc. I ran the test for nearly 7 hours with 8 passes and no errors. I ran avg with a hardscan to put load on it, came home comp seems fine. Memtest86+ did report my timings to be CAS 5-5-5-15 when I thought it was 4-4-4 stock. I haven't done much gaming either...I wonder what could be causing this issue? Should I do further RAM testing?

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the pool error i've received has always ended up being the motherboard hardware problem.

let memtest run for over 24 hours..... you could have a "random time contrained" glitch that won't show up emediately or all the time.

a good guarantee is 500 passes ;)

12. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

500 passes?!! i only got 8 or so in 7 hours... that would takes like a week Judas!!! But 24 hours eh.... hmm.

13. Judas

if it takes a week to narrow down what your problem might be.... it's better then spending 3 months working with something that isn't working properly at all ;)

course i agree, being without a machine kinda suck even at all for an hour.

course i just jump on another one i've got here...... complete understand the nucance of it all though

14. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

i have 2 laptops just not with my data and i despise them both. apparently the vista dvd has a memdiag on there ill see if its any diff from the one i have

15. Judas

i'm not faund of the vista or win7 memtest program....

memtest 86+ is your best bet period

16. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

you know what I think its video card... I just came home my monitor was black like in standby and couldnt come out. this has happened a lot since day one. In addition, since I have had this comp I have gotten nvdkrnl.sys errors that windows recovered from randomly (espeically on gears of war). I rebooted and it can no longer detect my 8800GTS. uninstalled the driversa and reinstall didn't work. now look what happened! this is from booting up!

[​IMG]

my video card has always been hot to the touch and 8800 series apparently were all defective. am I in trouble for RMA?

17. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

Yup, from the last ss it's obvious that it's the graphic card. You'll have to RMA it.

BiGBrOwNPimpsta likes this.
  18. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

my laptop looks the same as your last screenie. and it's diagnosed as having a "burned" gpu/faulty fan. It may well be that you have more than 1 problem there.

19. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

with BFG's RMA process, do they make me live without a video card for 4-6 weeks? or do they ship a replacement and I ship this one back?

20. Judas

only real way to find out being canadian resident.. is to phone and find out...

cause in the states... some manufacturers will do that... send out a replacement and then you send your broken one back in the same package...

in canada... that doesn't fly... it's the opposite