Possible suggention

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Announcements' started by Judas, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I had this idea a little while ago....

Is there ANY possibility of setting up a SAFE MODE or similare switch on the entire page? (and or forums? )

Basically, this would be used if people wanted to surf the site VERY quickly/Had Dial-up

The switch would work similare to if you were viewing "printer friendly" version....

But the same abilities..... it would remove unessary images.... unessary options.... disable some of the code and tags.... In other words... safe mode ;)

I thought it could be somewhat implemented easily... On user log on, just before being redirected to the forums or back to the main page... or your profile... it would ask you if you wish to switch modes....

Also, there actually could be 3 settings... normal...safe mode.... LOW bandwidth..... low bandwidth would keep the forums in general the same...... but it would stop images/flash that exceedes a certain size in Bytes..... would confert all tags that would possibly auto load on the forums the self to a link....

My question i guess..... is this possible..... would it be able to be implemented in the future?

Am i nutz?:wtf:

2. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

That would be handy for the people like me without any chance of getting broadband in the near future - but then again - I like browsing the forum in it's full glory - it doesn't take a horrendous time to load on 56k. Somewhere like Futuremark's forum - that needs something like what you are suggesting.

3. Judas

lol....i know what you mean.... even with my high bandwidth..... alot of the of server images....just take ages....not being of me...but because of them...... i just know.... that in full glory... it would be nice to expand on a sites abilities... getting ready for the future..... and whatnot.... Consider fully scripted animated gui on here...... on a slow connection...that'd kill....... i just like how alot of websites are setup so that they consider low band... and high band.... but have access to the same exact things..... the source of all the info is from the same location....just the interface..... and abilities are different....

4. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Might be a good idea, perhaps done with forum templates (somekind of a "light" one).

5. Judas

yeah... "light/lite" variation...... because it would be neato if lets say people with rather high bandwidth were able to post/use more complex signatures animation..... the overall look of a webpage wouldn't have a limit as the bandwidth isn't an issue....... also, i figured this kind of SAFE MODE would be really nice to have as when a driver or some article is released..... the admins can flip the SAFE MODE switch giveing the server a bit of a break.....

6. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

Just be able to change it if you wished in the control panel.

I just doubt many people would use it atm - as this loads so quick.

But if scripted animations are implemented then I may have to use the lite version.

7. Judas

.... well it's only thought.... scipted animations/gui would put a little bit of strain on the server.... but the idea... was intended for "in the future"..... although nice to see it implemented now... At first... having the option available in the control panel..... would be fine.... i'm just thinking right now... being my avatars compressed to hell and back.... it still is well over the 5kb in size.. (thus my reason for changing it sometime real soon)...... my orginal is 90kb which look real good..... but that a fair bit to large for dial up...

8. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

The point I was bringing to light - is that there is no real point in putting a lite version in atm - as the time would be practically wasted - not many would use it.

I think it would be fine to use this current layout as the lite version when/if an animated GUI is implemented

9. Judas

......ATM, no.... it would be slightly pointless... the safe mode would be usefull on occasion and the admins would be able to force it on everyone......... but it's best to get things done before you come to the bridge

10. gunther

gunther New Member

Idea is good and can be implemented with forum templates but the problem comes from the fact that DH is currently targeted towards broadband users, not modem users.

11. FluffyChicken

FluffyChicken New Member

Given the Forum's main large images are the Signature which are off site anyway.
    The Avatars (Judas for example is 22KB) are either in the DH database OR offsite depending how they've implemented them, If it's on their site that could be reduced (but an easier way is just to restrict the filesize in the first place).

All the other images are advert so they cannot really be made 'light as they are needed for revenue.

I don't know what version of VBB this but I do remeber something about changing to another board type.

Again Drivers are on a different server so shouldn't effect board slowdown much BUT I don't recall be told if they share the same bandwidth...

The forum 'skin' could maybe reduced to a light version but that should be cached by your computer on first use.

12. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

then the software to differ them both.may need more donatoins for that.!