Possible to repair a Radeon 9800?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Partizan, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Partizan

Partizan Fun loving criminal

I got my hands on a Radeon 9800, which has a missing chip. I have no idea how the guy managed to break it off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

U90 and U89 are the same chips.

Is it possible to repair it, or could it even work without it? Or should I toss it into garbage?

Regards, Partizan

2. Partizan

Here is the missing chip:

[​IMG]

Any idea what this chip does?

3. Soulja

Soulja Member

Sprobi jo pa boš vidu če še dela:cool: Js sm meu tut enkat eno radeonko 9800 k je mela skurjen agp pa sm zacinu pa še zmer dela. Sj vem da ti nism nč pomagu sam si nism mogu pomagat :D

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

^^ in english please? lol

umm....does the card work still? if so, then the card will probably have a limited life span.

i had a 9700pro a while ago that had a similar problem. except that it was two chips that were falling off. they were still attached, but not making any more contact. the card still worked for a while, but it wouldn't OC anymore, and after a few months, it ended up dying entirely.

as to repairing it, if the chip itself still looks in good condition, you can sauter it back on is the only way i can think of fixing it.

5. Partizan

Hvanen't tried the card yet, because I need to get a cooler :)

But I found a guy who can repair the card, but I think I will have to get a new chip, cause the old one is missing one leg (don't know how they are called). Will know more on tuesday and report back.

6. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

nice nice :). keep us posted on the card :)

7. Retarp

Retarp New Member

The "chip" looks like a voltage regulator. Given it's location on the board, it is probably the voltage regulator for the ram. That is bad news as the card won't run in that case.

I work with those type of components everyday where I work, but unfortunately I really don't have any way to determine what exactly you have there. Without knowing the manufacurer of the part, I have no way to look up the number printed on top. I will try to get a look at some we have at work and see if I can come up with anything.

Be sure none of the now empty pads are shorting. Putting the card in should not hurt anything, but I really don't think it will work.

8. Partizan

Thanks for the tips Retarp. As it looks two solder points are broken off (best seen in the first picture). I don't know if it can be fixed. Will have to wait for that pro guy what he is gonna say. It would be nice though if I could fix the card as I got it for free. And I would put it into my second computer instead of the radeon 9250 :D

9. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

If you solder a piece of copper on in place of the missing legs you could get away with that... I think... I've done that trick with old Tandy's :)