Post Your Ride !

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by niceguyrichy, Feb 12, 2016.

1. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there isn't enough people in saskatchewan to be able to keep up with drawing every day all day for years on end.... if we all did it together at the same time. For every new hole drawn... we'd have 10 more created....

It's hard to do being one of the places in the world with the most miles/km of roads

3. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Isn't this the reason why you guys in Canada Land pay more taxes than us here in the United States; for better public services?

Can't you call in to some public entity somewhere (like the city or state / province) and report the horrible conditioned roads to have them fixed? Here in the states, many cities have such a public service available where residents can report problem roads so that the city can fix the issues promptly. It usually takes anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks depending on how flush the cities coffers are.

4. Judas

Rural pay more but we don't count.... all the infustructure is paid for by rural people more so... heavily.... compared to those in the urban centers... so the urban centers get priority...

however even though there is taxes paid, a small sum of it goes to roads or rural areas... and with more roads than anywhere else on the planet.... with only a population of 1 million too boot... covering an area much akin to the landmass of texas.... it's near impossible to expect it...

We actually last i checked, pay less than united states though.... and coming from a few americans that have moved here... get far more as canadian citizens even out in the rural. Sure our roads are shit..... but there's a silver lining to it as well... but it's dwindling.

We can report issues..... but when the cost of repair exceeds by a factor of probably 10,000x or more than the available budgets.... higher priority is given to the super highways that interlink the provinces and the cities... and there are PILES of miles between them all.. and even with that money... it's still insufficient.

We are left with roads that are built of sand and whatever soil happens to be nearby..... pushed into mounds and then the thinnest layer of pavement they can possible make and hope it isn't in total ruins within 5 years. Add insult to injury is that few people that know how to do this properly are willing to move to a place with 1/10th the cost of living for 1/2 the wage they were getting.... everyone sees that they get 1/2 the wage and somehow think their cost of living is going to remain the same which is pure stupidity on their part..... So rural communities are screaming for workers and new blood as the workers continue to age and retire leaving vacuums that no one seems to be remotely interested in filling.... towns are drying up... and with the growing rate at which corporate bodies continue to drive small businesses out of existence..... due to partially the fault of the local dwellers insisting on dumping money in the cities which means none of that money ever returns to the local towns which means that the towns cannot sustain itself.. which also means that as they die, the employment options dry up and the infrastructure of the rural communities continue to fall apart.

I've contemplated what 2030 would be like nearly 15 years ago.... part of a school related "essay/assignment" that i decided to venture into... in which basically privatized corporate farms would pretty much be the only thing existing in rural communities for the most part... no other businesses... as there would be no need... along with more machines and droids that were likely to manage themselves rather than have actual drivers. The number of roads would be simply ripped up and farmed over, with instead of sections of land (640 acres which is basically a 1 mile by 1 mile chunk), being turned into entire RMs managed with a central point, far less roads required (they would start working on this perhaps around that time).

The fundamental fowl part of this situation is that corporate farms rarely last (when managed properly) more than a generation unless the 1 or more of the children of the owners actually take a proper interest in it... it might make 3 generations before it implodes due to mismanagement.

Since it's in the corporate interest to take control of food ... and then make as much profits as possible, they could easily starve the public that now has absalutely no control over it, where as somewhat now (not so much) and in the past, there as so many individual private farmers managing usually 1000-5000 acres (which is massive by comparison to 30 years ago or more where 1000 acres was huge).. resulting in plenty of food.. and a super cheap food policy that we have today.

All the rural people pay massively for support that we really don't get.... and it's rapidly getting smaller as people continue to move to the cities..... At some point as i said, it'll be pointless and potentially far too expensive to even attempt to have much of any property outside the cities, most everyone much like today already... will be accustomed to living in cramped small apartments and condos and "think it's wonderful"....and if at any point those with the power to do so for interests sake.... felt the need to reduce population at a moments notice with little to no likelihood of any survives for miles upon miles.... detonating a bomb in these areas would be extremely effective. If not that... plenty of other easy methods of over zealous controls.

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

When I was growing up in the '50's in Indiana, there were a LOT of gravel roads and mostly only the State Roads were paved with some more than minor county roads being paved. The small town I grew up in...population 640 +/- a few...did have some paved and brick roads within the city limits.

So, that said, I recall seeing the road graders working the gravel roads periodically to re-arrange the gravel and remove the tire ruts that had been created from the traffic. What was interesting, at least to me as I recall it, is that you knew when someone was coming down one of those roads from a mile away due to the dust being kicked up as they traveled.

Seeing those broken up pieces of asphalt in Judas' photos, I'd have much preferred the gravel roads to what those became.

6. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I think you'd run out of spray paint first... but it seems like a task work trying to me... even if nothing happens... it would be hilarious :p

7. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

If we have potholes like that in the UK (not sure about other European countries) and you can prove within reasonable doubt that the pothole caused damage to your vehicle... then the council is liable to pay for the repair to your vehicle. This happens quite frequently, which is one of the reasons - other than Wanksy - as to why potholes don't tend to last too long in the UK.

8. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

and yet the news on Friday stated that they need billions of pounds to repair every pothole in the UK. I have no idea whereabouts you are but potholes around here stay for years unless they are substantial.

9. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I've noticed that it helps to have a high ranking politician type living in the area, in regards to how well maintained the general infrastructure is... ;)

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  10. Judas

While gravel roads are preferrable... as i mentioned some of them make those pavement pictures i showned look insigificant in comparisons.. because there are plenty where the washboarding is so bad and stretches for sometimes half a mile to as much as a few miles which is havoc on a suspension system.... there are plenty where potholes of massive depth and sizes are frequently found.. add to this that sometimes portions of the roads are cut into badly due to the ditches not flowing and finally filling and then running accross the road cutting into it badly. We have a primary road not far from here that has been marked for near 5 years for "caution" because they suspect the road ... the entire road.... will collapse leaving a near 20 foot gap that is nearly 20 ft deep in the road, one could argue that instead of slowing down to the suggested 60km/h speed...... speeding up and hitting it at double that would likely give you a better chance of survive if it decided to cave in while traveling over it.

Trying to hold the individual RMs and Department of highways or even the villages/cities responsible for vehicle damages is like trying to hit the moon with a stone..... the mere suggestion of going after any of them to get the repairs done at their expense is laughable.... because you simply can't get from them that which they didn't have in the first place. all you'd get is a reply "Drive for the road conditions then"... which pretty much may as well mean.... walk... since people destroy their pedal bikes on these roads.

I and many i know have just driven alongside the ditch... it's smoother/safer and overall while a bit of a gamble.... typically works out better than the roads themselves in places. They aren't all 100% bad from one end to the other.... i'd say about 5-10% one's typical travel period is horrible.

11. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Bought a Colorado last year.

2016.jpg

20232814_10211362397993417_2975807123214312558_o.jpg

CDsDontBurn, Calliers and Tyrsonswood like this.
  12. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

13. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Thanks! My old Ranger was also metallic green. I didn’t plan it out that way just happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

This is my fleet:

The Taurus is primarily my wife's car. She drives it during the week and I drive it on weekends for family outings.

I still have my Accord and this past August I've had her for 10yrs. She's rolled over 300k miles, 314k miles to be more accurate, and is still running strong. 2018 she'll be needing some fair amount of TLC. Front upper and lower control arms, brakes on all 4 corners, and if I care enough, a new power steering pump. She has an oil leak that I haven't been able to track down exactly, but from what I've been able to see, it's coming from the oil pan or behind the timing belt. Neither are a job I can do easily.

The Thunderbird. She's my project car. Why this and not a Mustang? Well, because it's not a Mustang! She's currently not running, but not because of engine issues. The transmission needs to be redone and so does the suspension. I've been buying suspension parts little by little, but I have the (bad?) habit of buying upgraded parts that have a significant higher cost than stock replacement parts. Well This of course has led to her continued down-time. In regards to the suspension bits, you know the saying, "drive it until the wheels fall off!"? Yea, very likely if I don't take care of the suspension bits. I'm hoping that here in 2018 I'll be able to have her up and running again.

Oh, and yea, that's the house I bought in 2013. Much has been done to it.

IMG_20170212_121648 - Copy.jpg

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  15. Calliers

Since I have decided against owning a car myself (prefer being driven and all my friends have cars anyway, and for everything else there's the bus or a cab), I have to live vicariously through my little brother who has just gotten a new 2017 Subaru Outback and is very happy with it. I have to say it is very comfortable to say the least. That's like the only pic I have from the front but yeah it's a nice vehicle.

[​IMG]

16. Calliers

I soooooo badly want the new 2020 Toyota Supra. Somebody lend me 60000 dollars!

17. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

This is just two parts of my life, The left is business only..starting to get a little old and it is showing its age... The underneath is showing excessive amount of rust.. Only time will tell if this goes through a UK MOT.

The one on the right is mostly personal.. And is my pride and joy..

[​IMG]

CDsDontBurn and Calliers like this.
  18. Calliers

19. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Don't have any pics of mine and not sure if it'd be worth it anyway but I've got a 2006 VW Jetta with 230,000 miles with a 5 speed manual that's on it's original clutch and still drives like it's only got 80k on it. :p

niceguyrichy likes this.
  20. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

You must be very gentle on the clutch, My previous car Prior to the Focus, were a Volvo S40, 88K on the clock and I had to have the clutch replaced...A few months before I switched car..