PowerDVD10 not working.

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Liqourice, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

This weekend I was gonna play a BD movie for the first time in about a month. It just didn't work. I put the disc in, PowerDVD started up and found the disc, started loading it an after doing so it just flashed and crashed to desktop with no error message whatsoever.

I tried restarting the computer, I tried updating the gfx drivers, I tried re-installing PowerDVD but still no go, it behaves in the same fashion. I tried about 4 or 5 different BD's that I've played before with no issue.

I have the latest version that I updated in november so it's worked before. I did however update the BD-burner's firmware about two weeks ago after I last played a BD in it.

Though, I don't think it's because of the firmware because I can play them with VLC without any issues.

It wouldn't be much of a problem but VLC can't play the 3D discs so I really need Powerdvd to work. I'm kinda stuck here, really don't know what else to try. Gonna write to Cyberlink and ask if they have any idea but I wanna check here as well if someone might have something.

I hope it's not some kind of limitation in the program to force me to upgrade to 11, 12 or 13. If that's the case I'm really not a happy camper, it won't really motivate me to pay for this kind of software again if that's so.

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Just to clarify, is it a Blu-Ray you've used before?
    Also, have you tried another, 2D film?

3. Liqourice

Yes, I wrote that. I tried a few BD movies that I've played before with no issues whatsoever. All 2D, haven't tried any 3D yet actually but since the 2D's won't work I doubt the 3D ones will.

And the player/burner is the same, all I did was update it's firmware.

My HTPC is exactly the same hardware wise as when I built it over 2 years ago. Only updated drivers and software that I use like PowerDVD, FF and such. I try to keep this rig as clean as I can, I don't install any software that I really don't need on it.

Only thing updated besides the BD-Burner Firmware since I knew this worked are windows updates.

But as I wrote in my first post, I doubt it is the firmware since I can play 2D movies with VLC.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

All the fucking Bluray software products are screwing up.... it's a total load of bullshit far as i'm concerned.

I've personally received phone calls from people that had bought powerdvd, windvd, countless other alternative bluray playing software and guess what...

After about a year and a half or 2... the companies basically stop doing the necessary updates... there software breaks for no apparent reason, and you can't play known to be working bluray discs.

This happened to PowerDVD 11 only it was a region error, you couldn't play ANYTHING even dvds... WinDVD also had similar problem, and again like I said... other alternatives.

Dealing with the companies directly (powerdvd 7/8/9/10/11, yes I've got them all still and I've sold them to people since bluray drives arrived and received complaints from them all), basically they always make the claim that it's not efficient to continue patching older products, they are discontinued, we'll give you an upgrade deal for 60 bucks to power dvd 12 deluxe. Instead some users have tracked down the problems that are plaguing us and many have determined that there are usually 3 potential reasons (facts):

a: A bug in the program that is triggered by a date/time, example of which is the region bug in powerdvd 11 in which when I believe it was febuary 13th 2013, the program would fail to set region, using up all the region change modes (aka set it to 0) and prevent the use of the program entirely. End of march this bug was finally rectified HOWEVER it is not available in the update list for powerdvd 11, you must manually SEARCH for it, and find it hidden away in a thread on cyberlinks forums that they weren't even going to share at all, users uploaded it and shared it after they had phoned in and harassed the shit out of the company to get it.

B: Potentially intended code designed to force a user to upgrade... See above.

C: Discontinued product + new bluray = no support requiring an update.

Suffice it to say, all potential causes, all drive you to one solution, Pay money for something you shouldn't need.

And it's not limited to software bluray players..

I've sold Samsung,toshiba,sony,panasonic set top bluray players. Guess what, after about the 3 year mark, shit hits the fan, Firmwares are no longer being provided, new movies are showing on the screen when you fire them up "this bluray requires that you update your bluray players firmware"... of which you are totally screwed. It also throws suspicion into the mix when in fact I've personally played the EXACT movie/Disc in the said bluray player before with the same firmware without issue.

People phone in and ask me wtf is wrong with their bluray player, and all I have to say is they need to give their manufacturer a call. I personally talking to Samsung and other manufacturers were mostly told "Tough shit, buy a new one, we don't support that product anymore"

Meanwhile big film makers are sitting blaming pirating for the film industries lack of potential sales (Even though they are still increasing in some respects EVEN with economical struggles existing... wtf is wrong with them?).

I got so pissed off that I've started encoding my own movies.. stripping the copy protection and ripping the entire move to my hd, followed by encoding them into a friendly unhindered working flawless MP4 that I don't have to fuck around with a bluray disc. They work flawlessly on the pc.. on the ps3, on the xbox, on the mobile devices, and of course on all the smart tvs. 5.1 audio and all.

Mind you I still buy the bluray of course, but I got fed up with it all, I am no longer support and paying over 100 bucks a pop for software that is guaranteed to fail after a VERY short period of time "INTENTIONALLY".

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I re-read the first post, must've missed the bit about VLC successfully playing the same discs.

There's only one solution that I've found to playing Blu Rays without issue and it's not cheap: PowerDVD with AnyDVD HD. As long as AnyDVD reads the disc, PowerDVD plays it. Without AnyDVD, the same Blu Ray disc will cause PowerDVD to prompt you for a non-functional update (or pester for 13).

Oddly enough, I've never updated the firmware on any BD drive (one of which is around 7 years old).

6. Liqourice

I don't know why I updated firmware, everything was working just fine but I found there was one so I flashed it.. I guess that was a bad idea but still, since VLC plays them I doubt that's the reason.

Even though Judas rants a bit more than I expected I'm still inclined to think that this is what's happened. I haven't recieved any answer from Cyberlink on my support ticket either so I guess they're giving me the silent treatment.

Tough luck for them, I won't buy anything more from them, that's for sure. I'll go with the competitor instead if that's the case and hope that in due time VLC will be able to play the 3D discs as well when the time comes for that player to stop working...

I'm the stubborn type though, I'll fight them with claws and teeth just to prove my point. :p

7. Judas

Takaharu basically has the perfect solution likely... anydvd HD solves all my woes.. I just hate to have to pay for ANOTHER product to make the original product work

8. Liqourice

Precisely my point.. but if I have to pay again, it won't be to cyberlink, that's for sure.

9. Judas

question is.. what's the alterantive..
    every alternative I've tried.. is plagued with the same problem

10. Liqourice

I've been leaning towards buying a stand-alone BD player but if it's like you say that's just as bad in the end as well.. but I guess I work through the alternatives until there's none left...

But I hope that VLC will be able to play the 3D ones as well in time, when it does I think this problem is solved.

11. Judas

yeah I hope vlc gets things sorted too soon

12. Liqourice

Checked in the VLC forums and it seems to be a long way off I'm afraid. Well, I'm gonna have a go with AnyDVD HD and see if that helps for now.

13. Liqourice

Seems I got it working with AnyDVD.

Nope, I didn't.. only got one movie working.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  14. Liqourice

Problem fixed.

I managed to find a way to revert the firmware on my Lite-On iHBS112 från PL06 to PL05 and now all movise work as they should again.

Really strange that I could play them with VLC but I guess there was something in that firmware that didn't go all that well together with PowerDVD.

15. Judas

Far as I know the region and copy protection system relies heavily on the firmware of the bluray drive itself. I've learnt from experience...... don't touch the firmware on a optical drive for a computer....unless it's truly the last possible option.

I've got a computer that arrived just today, powerdvd9.... again packed in... loaded him up with powerdvd11 with the newest patch that they've finally have on the main updates page...

Seems to have sorted it I hope.

16. Liqourice

I still have no reply from Cyberlink on this, it's been 4 days now. I did send an email to Lite-On about this though and they replied almost instantly.

17. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

You probably know about this already, but I just found out there is an updated build 5223, which fixes the crashing problem. Installed and everything is working fine again.

18. Liqourice

I got it back to working order again after stepping back the firmware on my Lite-On drive. Not so sure I want to flash it to the latest again just to find out it still doesn't work. Though, I will read the notes and see if they refer to my problem in this update. Eventually I may have to update firmware but I'll try to wait for as long as possible before I do.