Prep work for Computer Build help

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MooN*FiRE, Aug 8, 2008.

1. MooN*FiRE

MooN*FiRE Pandemonium Fortress

So far I know what I want as a CPU and a vid-card even though it will be pricey.

My beta stage for the overall Components I want is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

PC Case: ? I was thinking of a Antec 1200..

Heatsink/Watercooling: ? unknown for now.

Memory Kits: ? I wanted to tryout OCZ for either DDR2/[3] - *mobo supported & depending on price. 4 GB DD3 would be very expensive?

Motherboard:? Still having trouble picking one cause of the videocard length of the 4870x2 and some bad placement of the sata slots etc. asus/gbe/abit. I also like the ideal of dual bios.

Video Card: 4870x2 - I've had nVidia and ATI/AMD videocards but I like the specs on this one. I can wait for different companies to release there own. I wont be buying all this in one go.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

just one comment about E8500 processor, it could be better to hold on the buying decisions on the E8500 just a bit longer,
    their might be a new revision/stepping for E8000 series processors.

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

youd do better with a Q6600 or Q9XXX series chip to feed the 4870X2, or else youll have a serious bottleneck on your hands

4. MooN*FiRE

Even if I got a high-end Nvidia card I would still need a quad core cpu cause it could be a bottleneck also? Or is it just the AMD cards need alot of brainpower?
    Plus quad core is expensive even at newegg it says they are 390 and go straight to $1500 for the top model, which the e8500 is only $200 -/+. What do I look for on the E8500 revision and what will be the upgrades to it? If I was also thinking of going with AMD cpu's which one might be good? So many new cpu and videocards coming out its hard to keep up to date.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  5. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i have no idea about a bottleneck problem you are talking about.
    but i will answer you about the new stepping of the E8500.

look at the CPU's sSpec Number:

E3110: SLAPM = C0 (old), SLB9C =E0 (new)

E8400: SLAPL = C0 (old), SLB9J = E0 (new)

E8500: SLAPK = C0 (old), SLB9K = E0 (new)

more info
    Product Change Notification 108482 - 00 (Intel) - http://content.intel.pcnalert.com/dm/d.aspx/7E6BF6F6-2F8D-4219-8155-CBD568CEB226/PCN108482-00.pdf

- X-bit labs - New Wolfdale Processor Stepping: Core 2 Duo E8600 Review (page 2)

6. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

either way you could potentially face a bottleneck with that processor and a high-end vid card

its basically down to raw processing power of that dual core just won't be able to supply enough data fast enough to that video card to actually utilize it all.

7. Syndicate2083

Syndicate2083 New Member

I would also highly recommend sticking with an intel based chip as opposed to AMD. They are getting better (AMD) but still far from home as far as actual number competition with intel again.

In that case obviously youd want to go with an intel northbridge, so mayhap like the 45 chipset.

ASUS are good boards..

Are you planning on going with an onboard sound solution or an actual card?

I love my antec 900 case, it rocks, the 1200 is super, bigger and should be plenty of room for your cards and hardware.

Any thoughts on the PSU?

OCZ ram is excellent stuff also.

I personally just got an e8400 not long ago and it rocks the socks off my other AMD x2 6000. The Q6600 is definitely a nice processor, and the 9xxx series are awesome.

-Syn

8. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Having a 2 or 4 core processor really depends on what main uses you require for your new rig. Some applications demand a quad core whilst others do not.

If you want the best possible advice from the guys (and gal) here then I suggest you state:

1. Your budget
    2. Your primary and secondary uses for your new rig
    3. Whether you'll be swapping out any old components from another rig or whether you are building from scratch. If you are keeping any old components please state what they are.
    4. Whether monitor, keyboard, mouse, PSU, case and operating system are included in your budget.
    5. Which OS you intend to use

Syndicate2083 likes this.
  9. MooN*FiRE

I have my current rig in my profile.

I may give my current rig away to a family member or just junk it.
    I will probably buy new harddrives. I like my raptor but it doesnt really make games load faster.

1. Budget - $2000 -/+ want to save some cash.
    2. Gaming mostly.
    3. Yes - The PSU I will be moving over to the next rig unless I need to upgrad that too. Probably transfer the 200 gig as a main drive for Vista Until I replace it with something newer.
    4. I have a Wireless KB & Mouse I will be keeping. I want to upgrade the case. I have Vista Home Premium x32, will probably upgrade it to x64.
    5. ^

10. Syndicate2083

Syndicate2083 New Member

Heres a wishlist I whipped up for ya, minus the 4870x2 obviously, see what ya think, the total is just over 1k with everything in there

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

antec 1200
    core 2 quad q9300 2.5ghz
    4 gigs OCZ ddr2 1200 ram
    asus maximus formula 2 p45 motherboard
    cooler master fan/heatsink
    artic silver ceramic thermal compound

-Syn

11. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

could be better, will get a list up soon

12. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

heres my list

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=12652727

i recommend the new Q9650 as it is guaranteed E0 and has a 9x multiplier so its nice

i also recommend getting a 7200.11 to replace that 200Gb youre using, it is alot faster, the PSU you have is good.

the RAM i chose is the fastest available. you probably can see why.

Vista x64 not shown but is necessary to fully use this system

13. cozumel

kris dude, that's probably a damn fine wishlist you've gotten yourself there. But I'ma thinkin' and I'd be obliged if maybe you would share it with the rest of us and make it a public wishlist. :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  14. MooN*FiRE

Yeah that is a nice list. Overall that is a very good total.

I also forgot to add I will be keeping my audiocard for a while until I can tryout a ASUS Xonar Soundcard.
    I have a Creative soundblaster X-fi "fatality". I hate fatality with a passion and I shouldnt of payed 150 for this board but it works and the sound is pretty good anyways. 7.1 sound out of 4 speakers and 1 bass.. I will never buy creative speakers ever again. I have tried for 3 days when I first got it then with the program that comes with soundcard to get all the speakers in the right order or all working together and just wont do it.. and creative doesn't mark the wires for left or right either.. so its a guessing game along with the audio setup program that makes you keep changing wires that just said you were fine a minute before. /end rant.

15. Syndicate2083

Syndicate2083 New Member

Nice list Kris, I kept mine lower end as he said he wanted to save some money, so I figured Id hit the lower end of a decent range, and someone else would pick up the higher end :)

16. cozumel

MoonF*iRE: You said you would prefer to keep your old PSU unless you have to upgrade but haven't stated what PSU you currently have and how much usage you have had from it. :D So what do you currently have?

@ kris & MoonF*iRE: That's anice list kris. The only thing I would change on your list would be the cooler. I would personally prefer a thermalright product.
    I couldn't originally access your wishlist as I wasn't registered, so I just registered from Microsofts office in Mountain View CA (using their 'phone number!!) :D:D

17. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

18. MooN*FiRE

What I did for my current rig is buy the motherboard first then get the cpu.. now they say get the cpu first and the mobo after.

Even though the Q9650 is 560$ which seems extreme in price.. I will think about it.
    are there any more comments on memory or motherboards or cpu choices?
    I will pretty much go quadcore.. the list is for either Q9300 or a Q9650?

19. Syndicate2083

Syndicate2083 New Member

the q9300 is a solid proc, the stepping is older, but still a damn fine processor.

The ASUS striker formula 2 is great, from what ive seen, gigabyte is good, dfi is alright. eVGA and XFX are great too, however the latter at least only has nvidia chipsets, not to sure about evga.

So if your going ATI/crossfire youll need an intel chipset, otherwise go for an evga or xfx 790i chipset and some nice nvidia cards.

Both GSkill and OCZ are great ram manufacturers, either way is a good choice, just make sure that the ram supports the chipset your looking at!

if you need help let us know and well work it out!

-Syn

20. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

the thing is that the Quad Core is an E0 and for now, it is extremely difficult to get an E0 CPU as all the older stepping CPUs (C1?) haven't been flushed from the market yet

people have been getting extremely high clocks with these new steppings, i saw one instance where some guy got i think an E8500 to 6GHZ on a BioStar board

unless you want to wait more to watch the E0s as they get to the market or just settle on one of the older steppings its up to you, but id just spend the money so you can rest knowing you got the newest revision chips