Presario laptop boots about 1 time in 15 attempts

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by geno368, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. geno368

geno368 Member

This is a presario cq61 running Windows 10 home. It has 3 gb ram and I have updated the bios to the latest one (F15) I have completely formatted this pc in November back to the original Windows 7 and then updated to the Windows 10. All updates have been done from Windows and virus scans have been run as well.
    This is the problem: When I power it up, almost immediately the led lights on the top right as well as next to the caps lock key will blink about 1 time every 2 seconds. It stays that way and I have to power it down, remove battery, clear capacitors, etc.I keep trying and it will finally boot up and run perfectly. Tapping the esc key rapidly is what I use to enter bios and then it's a go.
    What I have tried: replaced ram with known good sticks, removed heat sink and installed fresh Arctic silver compound, cleaned all cooling vents and tested hard drive and ran a sfc scan.
    I want to give this pc to my grandson for his school but I must fix this problem first. Thanks in advance for any help

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

1. When did the shit hit the fan?

2. The ram sticks might be good, but the slots might not, test them.

3. Check the keyboard for anything, including dust, that might short circuit the system.

4. Tried running it without a battery?

3. geno368

geno368 Member

Thanks for your reply.
    #1- December 15th
    #2- I don't know how to test the slots...I ran memtest 86 and windows memory test
    #3- When I formatted it I removed the keyboard and blew it off when I updated the thermal compound
    #4- Yes, it is running right now without battery...I have it in sleep mode

4. Trusteft

You are welcome.
    1. I didn't mean date. I meant regarding Windows installations and software installation.
    2. Take each dimm and place it alone in each slot. Repeat. Does the system always have the booting problem?
    3. Did you "blew it off" after the booting issue or before?
    4. Are you saying that the system has no problem booting if you do not have the battery installed?

5. geno368

geno368 Member

I was not using the laptop so I decided to clean it up and give it to him for Christmas. So I took it apart and cleaned it, etc. I then re-formatted it and after all the updates were done I did the free upgrade to Win 10. It seemed to run fine for a couple of weeks and he brought it back to me with this no boot issue. If I remember right the led code blink meant bios corruption so I update it. While I was working on it that bios date kept changing so I checked on the cmos battery It was dislodged from the holder which I found out the retainer clip was broken. I then pit a piece of styrofoam between the case back and the top of the battery to hold it in place. It worked fine until he jarred it and it became non contact again. Presently I have fixed it again but the boot issue is still there.
    There does not seem to be any difference in boot with battery in or out. The blowing out of keyboard was way before the boot issues.
    I will do the memory swap you suggest but am afraid it may be the scenario of boot problem

6. Trusteft

How on earth does a cmos battery gets dislodged from a laptop? I have never heard this happening before. Did the laptop fall, got hit, someone opened it? That's just weird.

If nothing happened (physically) to the laptop in thise couple of weeks, then, without saying that it can't be a hardware issue, it might very well be some Windows 10 update which screwed it. I have zero knowledge on Windows 10 (and don't plan to ever have) so I can't help you with that. Have you tried using a different OS to see if the problem is OS related? For example use a linux bootable disc (or usb) and see if the system boots from that. That could point to a software issue.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Sounds like a case of the laptop having been abused or dropped or hit rather hard which has potentially done trace hardware damage that may not be recoverable. If one out of 15 tries tends to result in a fine startup, this is an intermitent issue which may be pointing towards a heat expansion circuit connection that is bridging... be it something that was severed and is warming up to make contact, or something that is bridged that is warming up eventually to break loose.

Being a bios corruption error, if the cmos battery clip was broken and dislodged, it's possible the bios flash memory chip may be dislodged as well, partial or full disassembly may be required.

This doesn't remotely sound like an OS issue at all, this is hardware related.

8. geno368

geno368 Member

This used to be my son's pc and I asked him if had removed the battery and he said he did a few years ago...He didn't look at it closely and pried it out and he thinks may have broken part of the battery holder plastic...I am about ready to give up on this system although I can't afford to buy him one. Thanks for the replies

9. Trusteft

Was this for me?

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

no that was just in general.