Problem with all games !!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by ToNi, Oct 26, 2002.

1. ToNi

ToNi New Member

Hi !

I've changed from Windows 98 SE to Windows XP Prof. with SP1.

But now my problem, i even can't play any game in Fullscreen mode. The game says i am on 1024*768, 32 but i have big black parts around the screen. Sorry my english isn't the best ;)

I have tryed Ut2003, Battlefield 1942 and Medal of Honor, all the same problem.

I have:

P4 1,7ghz
    ATI Radeon 8500
    Soundblaster Audigy (newest drivers)
    And Omega Drivers (newest!!)

Can please anyone help me ??

2. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

wqre

Try some official, WHQL certified ATI drivers.

3. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

or maybe some ati

or maybe ATI's 6193 drivers, the newest omega drivers for XP are oooooooold, way old, try some new drivers.

4. ToNi

ToNi New Member

so..

now i tryed the newest official driver, they have the same problem ! i really dont know

5. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

When you changed os'es did you just upgrade or do a clean install?
    Can you complete the dx diag tests for both video and sound ?
    start /all programs/accessories/system tools/system information/ click on tools select Direct X Diagnostic Tool run the tests for video and sound then in the more help tab click on save information there's alot of information thats quite useful in tracking down problems.
    I'd really recommend using the new beta 6193's they seem very stable for me and fix alot of gaming issues. Check out the help with my friend computer there's some tips you can try there as well.
    Do you have drivers specific for you monitor for winXP? Alot of times XP will install a generic default monitor driver and those can cause this type of problem. I'd check this first.

6. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

satra

I really have no idea what your problem is, except that maybe you're saying you have black borders around a centered image when in fullscreen...maybe download your latest motherboard chipset drivers, install direct x again, I dunno...it's an odd problem ye have.

7. ToNi

ToNi New Member

@DarkFoss

-When you changed os'es did you just upgrade or do a clean install?
    Yes its a clean install !

-Can you complete the dx diag tests for both video and sound ?
    Yes all with no problems

-I'd really recommend using the new beta 6193's
    Can you please give me a link ?

-help with my friend computer there's some tips you can try there as well
    yeah link please ;)

-Do you have drivers specific for you monitor for winXP?
    Windows Xp installed the right driver self, for my Samsung Syncmaster 750p, i dont have any driver for XP from Samsung self

@satra

-maybe you're saying you have black borders around a centered image when in fullscreen
    YES EXACTLY THIS PROBLEM !!

-maybe download your latest motherboard chipset drivers
    I have Intel i850 chipset.... i dont know how to

-install direct x again
    How can i install Direct X 8.1 for XP again, where can i find it ?? Can i use the DX setup on my gaming cd's ?

Please help me, i dont wan't to reinstall Windows 98 SE...

:mad:

8. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

here's the link for the beta drivers
    Only for Win2K/XP

For Radeon 9700
    http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4095.html

For Radeon 8500
    http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4094.html

The thread "help with my friends computer" is right here in this forum ;)

here's the link to the intel chipset driver page you'll find the how to's as well as other useful utilities

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm?iid=supportpage+ProdSupport_Chipsets&

In the direct x diagnostic tool under more help you can manually override the default refreshrate setting of 60 with one specifically for your monitor be very careful not to set it higher than your monitor can support or you'll damage it.

As for reinstalling Direct X I'm not even sure you can in winXP and since you can run all the test successfully that is not the problem. Most likely it's driver related to either your video or monitor. Before you upgrade drivers check out the stick in the ati drivers section on how to do a clean install. Print it out and follow it ,may just help clear things up.

9. Spydertech

Spydertech New Member

Not to sound dumb but,

Did you adjust the settings on the monitor itself. You know, the buttons to widen the screen horizontally and vertically.

When most games launch in fullscreen they use a default refresh rate. This refresh rate may not match the one you use in WinXP.

It may sound simple, and you may have tried it. But I don't want to assume anything.

Spydertech

10. ToNi

ToNi New Member

So first, thank you all very much for your answers !! Its just great how you are helping me :)

@Spydertech

No i adjusted my screen over the ATI panel

@DarkFoss

The thread doesn't help me much i think.

I have done a clean install with the instructions on this site (with going into the registry and so on) This driver even don't fix the problem. But now i know what it is. When i am in the game, the refresh rate is then down to 60 ! But normaly if i am on WindowsXP its my 100. SO why the game then is running on 60 ?? I havent' changed anything.

So i have to use the override function in Direct X or is there any other fix for it ??

11. Spydertech

Spydertech New Member

In UT2003 you can change the refresh rate by opening the UT2003.ini file (found in UT2003\System) and change the "desiredrefreshrate=" to the setting you want.

But, to keep from doing edits to all your games, you need to adjust your monitor while it is in the 60hertz mode.
    Use the controls on the monitor.
    Adjusting it for a 60 hertz signal should not change it when you revert back to your WinXP @ 100 hertz.

Spydertech

12. ToNi

ToNi New Member

but....

So i could do that, but it can't be the reason that i have to switch like you described everytime if i want to play !! I will first try the override function from direct X. I hope some new driver are coming out for this problem. And if nothing helps, i shit on WinXP and i go back to Win98SE there i was having no Problems... :(

13. kinetic

kinetic Well-Known Member

What happens at 800*600, do you still get the bands around the screen?

14. ToNi

ToNi New Member

Re:

What do you mean, in game or Windows on 800*600 and then going into a game ?

I have tryed the override function from DX i set it to 100 but doesn't help... :(

Why this f*u*c*k*i*n*g 60hz bug is there ??

I mean, a lot of you having the ATI Radeon 8500 on Windows XP Prof. what i am doing wrong ??

15. kinetic

Sorry, I meant see what happens if your desktop is set to 800*600 and then set the game at same resolution.

16. kinetic

17. Spydertech

Spydertech New Member

Ok, you're not understanding me.

Once you set your "monitor" to the right settings at a certain resolution and refresh rate, it should save it that way. Then everytime your resolution and refresh rate change, it will look correct.
    The 60hertz "thing" is not really a bug. It's just the way it is.

If you set your windows (WinXP desktop) to the same resolution and refresh as the game (let's say 1024x768 60hz) you will see that the monitor is not adjusted properly for that combination.

Spydertech

Tell you what, try it. If it don't work, let me know.

18. kinetic

I think you're on the right lines there Spider! :) Thats what I was getting at earlier.

19. ToNi

ToNi New Member

uhm.. ??

@Spydertech

I have my monitor in Windows on 100hertz. I've changed it in a control panel from ATI called "Monitor"

But what i dont understand is, why i have this problem now ? I really was doing all in Win98SE like now, and it was working without any problems. I wasn't have to set my monitor to other refresh rate or something.... You know what i mean ?

Now i tryed to set in Windows my Monitor to 60hz and going into the game. That even don't work too :(
    And in the game to set the resolution lower to 800*600 or something, doesen't work too.

Next i will try is the refreshforce program. I hope it works.

Sorry again for my bad english. And sorry if i misunderstood you.

I think, I can't change my refresh rate while I'm in games, on my monitor

20. Spydertech

Spydertech New Member

OK let me explain....................

You are setting your "monitor" in the Monitor properties in Display Properties/Settings/Advanced or something like that, right?

This does NOT effect the actual screen on the MONITOR itself. It just affects the signal (or picture) being sent to the monitor.

You still need to adjust the screen on the monitor. By performing the adjustments I've told you about you are not changing any refresh setting or anything like that. You are just "fine tuning" your monitor and video adapter.

It's like adjusting horizontal hold on an old TV. The TV receives the signal and you fine tune it to make you happy. Once you do it, you don't need to anymore. Your monitor is the same way, it is giving you an image from the signal it receives from your display adapter. But you still need to "fine tune" the monitor screen for the different resolutions and frequencies.

The problem is that a TV produces a 640x480 image at 60hz, but a computer monitor can produce images using different frequencies (hertz settings) and resolutions.

You may have not had to adjust the monitor screen in Win98, but so what, it doesn't mean anything is wrong. Just adjust it to make you happy.
    Your display adapter does not produce a perfect 60hz, 75hz, or even 100hz signal. It is the differences in adapters and monitors that require this fine tuning.

Example...... I replaced four 15" off brand monitors that produced a perfectly normal picture with four 17" Viewsonic E70f monitors. All the computers are the same (I built and configured each one the same day with identical parts). After plugging in the 17" monitors and turning the computers back on, one had a 1.2 inch black border all the way around it, two were semi-normal, and one the picture was off like some tilted the screen. I HAD to go and adjust the settings ON THE MONITORS (that's what the buttons are for) to get them right. So far everyone is happy and the screens haven't changed.

Spydertech

I'll say it a little different........... try it you might like it