Problems installing v4.8.442 Omega drivers on HD3870X2

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Beerdude26, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

Hi everyone,

I've been having some problems with my card ( a HD3870 X2) using the most recent official ATI drivers (Catalyst 8.3). Every time I restart, the screen goes blank after booting up Windows. Pretty much every fix out there, I've tried, and I turned to the Omega drivers for a solution.

Unfortunately, the Omega drivers don't seem to install themselves, and directing the Windows Hardware Wizard to the right INI files doesn't install them either. Is my card still unsupported or buggy or the like?

Oh, and before I installed the Omega drivers, I uninstalled the Catalyst 8.3 ones, restarted, ran DriverCleaner twice and then installed them.

I solely installed the video drivers, without AtiTray and MultiRes.

I'm a bit at the end of my rope here, the only solution that I haven't tried yet is changing my PSU. The one I'm using now is a "OCZ850GXSSLI-EU GameXStream 850W SLI Ready, silent 120mm glowing blue fan, High Power Gamers". Here are the technical specs: [TWEAKNEWS] - OCZ GAMEXSTREAM 850 WATT POWER SUPPLY REVIEW - PAGE 2

Another relevant bit is at the last page (conclusions): "Four +12V rails (20A each) "

From the official ATI website:
    So there ought to be no problem there.

Last thing: My motherboard doesn't have an onboard videochipset, so the solution on ATI's site is no of no use to me either.

EDIT: Oh and I'm running XP Pro

So yeah, I could really use some help right now. If you need more hardware specs, just reply.

EDIT: Oh, and I've played Crysis on this card at 1280x1024 with high settings and 4xAA, and I sometimes (around five times in a 2-hour period) had "spikeish" artifacts (floating point miscalculations, or so I heard?). That issue might be overheating, but it still doesn't explain why my computer won't boot in the morning when its temperature is the same as the room it's in :p

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

Cheers for the reply :)

I've tried out the 8.2. Catalyst drivers aswell, unfortunately they gave the same issues. I'm going to try and find the oldest drivers that are available and work my way up.

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I think that the oldest are CAT 8.1

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

Just testing out the 8.1. drivers. If these don't work, there are officially no drivers that support my HD3870 X2. I will give you guys the hardware ID and then I'll bring it back to the store and get an 8800GTX.

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

Ok, so there are officially NO drivers WHATSOEVER that work for my card. Guess Omega was correct in saying that "if the drivers don't install on your card you either have a freak of nature card or a card too new that not even the ATI has support for it. ;)".

I'm very close to bringing it back to the store and getting a 8800GTX just so I can actually work on my computer.

7. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

I'll look into that temeteus, thanks :)

I've also already reported the issue via that program ;)

9. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Good now they know about it and might fix it in next set of drivers :)

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

Well, I just installed the drivers that came with the card, and still the same issue. The guy that constructed the computer is going to come and have a look, I've already got a few ideas why it might not work...

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

Well, after a complete format (gah, 800GB D: ) and step-by-step installing of drivers, I managed to get it to work and keep it stable. No idea what the problem was, though.

Oddly enough I'm getting a lot of artifacting in STALKER with my HD3870X2, even at temperatures like 40°-50° C at full load. Is my card borked or does STALKER not like new technology lol

12. mikehud851984

mikehud851984 New Member

Hey beerdude I have a similar problem with my hd3870x2 from sapphire. It works perfectly with vista but in xp it was like pulling teeth to get it installed. I just put xp back on my system to be able to play the certain few games that just won't run under vista so I have a dual boot xp/vista setup but I had to manually install the 8.3's under xp. What I did was let xp install the standard vga driver then went through device manager and selected update driver and manually pointed to the inni file and it installed then I ran the stand alone setup for catalyst control center so now it is installed but it runs horribly as in very slow I get 13,408 3dmarko6 points in vista but in xp I only get 8,000 I can'tfigure out for the life of me what the hell is going on as I am actually a pc technician and still can't seem to find a solution. Anyway as for the artifacting in S.T.A.L.K.E.R it is a known issue with the game on these cards not a particular issue on your system just some compatibility issues between our cards or drivers and the games engine not sure if there will be a patch for the game in the future but for now no solution is available.

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 New Member

14. mikehud851984

mikehud851984 New Member

Nah I just fixed it actually did a bunch of tweaks and installed the 8.2's aswell as the amd dual core optimizer and now I get over 14k as you can see here.

[​IMG]