Problems with Sonic Edge & Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by nieves, Aug 26, 2003.

1. nieves

nieves personality tweaker

Does anyone else use this combination? I hear clipping sounds and music skips from time to time no matter what audio player I use or output(directsound or waveout).

I tried everything, updating the drivers to version 4.05, raising the process priority of Winamp/Foobar/WMP9, using another set of speakers... no such luck.

W2K with box supplied drivers works ok, I presume XP is ok, too. I wonder what could I do to make W2K03 stop this awful clipping sound... Any ideas?

2. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

Do you multitask extensively while listening to music? That can cause this sometimes.

Is the card sharing IRQs?

What background tasks do you have running CONSTANTLY (those that you have begin at startup and stay in system tray)?

What are your full system specs?

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Make sure DirectX and sound acceleration are completey turned on. You should also use XP drivers instead of 2K drivers.

4. nieves

Sharing IRQ? I'll check for that... Maybe move the card to another PCI slot, too.

DirectX video acceleration and sound are at the highest level, I tried every level, the problems persist.

I'm using XP/2K drivers from philips.com, they are unified, I see no link for XP only drivers.

Not much background tasks.... Riva Tuner, Philips Sound Agent 2...

The specs are pretty crappy, maybe the CPU does not cope with the audio card's demands. CPU usage when listening to music is very low, but the problems are there. It's true that when there's a lot of HDD activity (installing stuff / copying between different partions) the sound gets very distorted.

I installed 2K with SP4 last night. There were no clipping sounds if I'm just listening to music, but when I copy files around, the quality of sound is crappy again. It's still better with 2K. If only the mp3 player is running, I have no problems. Still, it's disturbing that I can't multitask much with sound. Even the *ding* sound Win2K plays by default when an error occurs is distorted probably because it's being played when there's a lot of HDD activity / high CPU usage.

Specs:

Duron 750Mhz o'clock-ed at 815Mhz
    Chaintech AJA KT 133 Mobo
    3 x 128 Mb SDRAM PC 133
    HDD IBM 7200 RPM, 40 Gb
    HDD Seagate 5400 RPM, 20 Gb
    ATI 9100, 32Mb, Saphire
    HSF Conexant (Chipset) dial-up modem (LOL!)

Thanks for your help!

5. evil_one

evil_one New Member

like suggested, make sure hardware acceleration is turned on, as it is disabled by default

6. nieves

Yep, it's on... switching it on was the first thing I did after installing the OS.

7. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

Have you installed the via pci latency patch?

Also, try changing the pci latency timer (something like that) in the bios. Some soundcards have specific preferences (try raising it).

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

8. nieves

The download link for the patch is broken :(

But I still can mess with the bios a little bit in the direction you indicated. Thanks!