processor question

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by K-dude, Mar 7, 2006.

1. K-dude

K-dude New Member

since you guys are much more experienced with this stuff and i need a 2nd opinion im gonna ask, what's better for a laptop, an AMD or an Intel processor?

2. fobis

fobis New Member

What line of CPU's? AMD has their Turions and Athlon64 Mobiles (or maybe its just Athlon64's, I don't know for sure). Intel has their Pentium-M's, P4-M's, and their new Yonah (Centrino Duo) CPU's out.
    For battery power and longetivity, P-M's were actually quite good for laptops in comparison to Turions.
    But since the launch of the Centrino Duo's, I've actually heard that they will have longer battery life than the P-M's due to some architectural and power changes in the chipset and the CPU. Of course, these are the newest laptop CPU's and they cost the most.
    If you really want a laptop right now, I would recommend getting a P-M, I suppose, although you might want to wait until Centrino Duo's come down in price.
    Hope this helps,
    -fobis

3. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

i would reccomend athlon 64 mobility or turon 64 for gameing (make sure to check the graphics the laptop had also)but if you just want a laptop that works or something for long battery life PM P4 or anything else is pretty much fine....
    but for day to day tasks you dont need an athlon 64 or turon....a centrino would even do
    but i find AMD is always better,but maybe thats just me(i can hear the intel fans collecting their tourches and pitchforks:lol: )

4. fobis

fobis New Member

Actually, the P-M's were quite good for gaming due to their short-pipe architecture. Maybe not as good as an Athlon64, but it'll do fine in a laptop.

5. Exceededgoku

Exceededgoku New Member

I find that P4 laptops get quite hot and are generally noisy, I would always go with a Pentium-M or a Turion both are class mobile solutions and both will perform good in games and office apps

6. fobis

fobis New Member

P4-M are not very good laptop CPU's in general. They heat up really fast and use batteries really quickly.

7. g35x

g35x Hellhound Pilot

i'd deffinitly go with a turnon or a64

8. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

just for an added point of reference...the P-M is cleverly disguised under the "Centrino" monicker.

I'd go ith the Centrino personlly, due to the nice balance between power, heat, and battery life...plus it has EXCELLENT built in throttling controls that many software apps [many included in manufacturer software, such as sony] take advantage of. My CPU runs at 800MHz when on batteries, and 1.6GHz when on the wall adapter, for example, and I have the option to put it back to 1.6 GHz with the touch of a button on battery if need be :)