Programs: Flaws Make 'Silent Hill 3' Frustrating Creepy

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Dom, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Dom

Dom New Member

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Reuters) - "Silent Hill 3" begins in a dark and macabre amusement park, where everything seems to be covered in dirt tinged crimson with dried blood.

The bodies of three people dressed as pink bunnies are splayed out on a bench, their costumes spattered with blood.

Into this gruesome tableau walks Heather Morris, a teenager who is astonished to discover she's holding a knife -- and carrying a handgun and machine gun.

"Where am I?" she asks herself.

"Kid, you're in a PlayStation 2 game," I thought. "And in this amusement park, the Fun House is closed."

Unless, of course, your idea of fun is to get thoroughly creeped out -- in which case, you're in for quite a ride.

This $50 game from Konami of America is a continuation of the original "Silent Hill," the warped tale of a man's search for his 7-year-old daughter, who turns out to be connected to a mysterious cult and a plot to give birth to the cult's god.

The plot of "SH3" unfolds ver-r-r-ry slowly, and the amusement park visit, it turns out, isn't actually the start of the game. It is one of Heather's dreams, but it gives players a preview of some of the horrors that lie ahead and the chance to get used to how the game handles.

Personally, I found the controls frustrating. "Silent Hill 3" severely restricts your vision, a limitation so maddening I was sometimes tempted to shut the game off. For example, at the decrepit mall, where huge, lumbering creatures wander the concourse looking to attack, I wanted to be able to see what Heather could see. But then, and in too many other cases, the controls would not allow it until I moved her further into the path of danger.

It raises the fear factor, but it is a contrived way to make things seem scarier in a game that doesn't need contrivances to bring you to the edge of your seat.

Heather's world can seem normal one moment and grotesquely surreal the next. If she takes the stars to the second level of the mall, and then tries to take the escalator back to the first level, she discovers that it descends into a huge abyss. Later in the game, when I stepped into a monster-laden subway car I found that the car I just came from has vanished.

There's also a spooky bit early in the game where you can knock on a bathroom stall and someone knocks back from inside. When you return to the ladies room after the mall has been transformed to a blood-soaked, monster-infested mess, you also get a return knock from the other side of the stall door. A second later, the door pops open. There is no one inside, but the stall is spattered with huge amounts of blood.

There were a few quirks I didn't like, aside from the controls. Heather can walk up stairs, but the game won't let her step over a book blocking her path. She is supposed to turn her head when she passes something important, but that doesn't always happen. I also wish the "pause" command halted the music, which can get tiresome.

Initially, there are three levels of difficulty. But if you die a few times on the easy level, a "beginner" level becomes available that's even easier. If you beat the game on the hardest level, "SH3" has 10 increasingly tough "extreme" levels -- and bonus weapons -- to keep the adrenaline pumping.

"Silent Hill 3" is rated for 17 and older. It is best played at night. Alone. With the lights out.

2. Tyrant

Tyrant New Member

The reporter's mis-information and inability to use the L2 button disturbs me.

3. rogeld

rogeld New Member

I just hope this isn't as horrible as the second game in the series. I couldn't even play for an hour before turning off the console in disgust.

4. dresta

dresta New Member

Im from providence.....

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

This one is good- playing it on my old PS2 now. Great shadows. Guess you have to be smarter than the dual dualshock2 to control the game.

It's easy after 5min.. The music and sound affects are great. I hate console games for the most part, after seeing my old gf ti4200 looking way better than any of my ps2 a year 1/2 ago. Now my 9700pro looks way better in most games, but this game really looks great, there is some kind of quincunx looking AA going on that you can turn on or off via a secret options menu by hitting L1 or R1 at options. You can control the color and amount of blood, there is some kind of grainy-ness you can adjust. It's shadows are better than anything I've seen yet- I cannot believe the level of detail- (for a PS2)- the water looks amazing, better than most PC games, including ones run on the best video cards available. I haven't played a PS2 game in about a year- but this is a good one. The camera controls are a little tricky, but play the game in 2d control mode and you will have much more fun. I rented it, and I'll play it for a few days and give it back. I don't buy PS2 games ever, but if I did I would buy this one. Back to the dungeon with 500 watts of surround sound scaring my next door neighbors. This game shows what the old PS2 can really do.

6. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

I guess I'm wierd or something. I liked SH2: DC, I played it all the way through and enjoyed it(got the "Leave" ending). Anxiously awaiting SH3. I don't know about the CONsole versions, but you have plenty of options for how you want to control the game in the PC version(SH2). The ONLY bug I've ever encountered while playing the game was the part where Angela went up the stairs that were on fire. That part was whacked out, but it didn't crash(lotsa trails, it was trippy). But back then, I was using a much older set of drivers, don't know if that's been sorted out since then.

Thanks to those BETA 4.49's that were floating around a week or two ago, my save file got fubar'd before I got that far again, I was going for the "Water" endiang this time around. I got "file damaged" when trying to load the game. It kinda sucked the enthusiasm right out of playing the game for me. I've been debating starting ALL OVER AGAIN, but just can't get into it at this point. I asked peeps for a save file that would put me close to where I was, but nobody felt inclined to oblige. Oh well.....I'm not bitter about it. ;)