Proper Replacement of a Power Supply Fan

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jan 4, 2004.

1. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

Yet anouther great guide, keep'em comin. Very nice work!!!

P.S. I personaly enjoyed the disclamer...;)

2. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Thank you!!:D

3. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

Your welcome bud, i gotta admit pretty nice touch...:D

4. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

i'd get really board before that happend ... ;)

thats its a 12v 80mm fan the amps dont matter. you'll relise that when you strip the wires thier not copper their steel!

also u can rig up two fan one set of leads that was meant for one fan long as you dont go crazy and try to hook two monster fans up lol....

good luck

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  5. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

I wonder if it would compromise structural integrity too much to cut the punched grille away and use a wire finger guard instead - that usually results in more airflow and less noise from ANY fan.

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

should be ok doing that.... should be fine on psu's

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  7. aboyandhisblob

aboyandhisblob New Member

i pulled this off great guide guys.

8. Vortex88

Vortex88 New Member

I'm not sure if anyone will see this since it's an older thread, but I came across this site through google, and I'm having some power supply issues. I just realized that the fan in my psu has stopped working. I'm not sure when it happened though. Would replacing the fan in the psu be an option at this point, or would the new fan just not work like the one that is already in there? Is this more likely to be an issue with the psu itself or the fan? :uhoh:

9. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Its a hard question to answer - is the PSU firing up at all? obviously im aware you wouldn't want to risk long term use if it is firing up but the fan isnt working.

If it is only the fan and not the controller or the actual PSU itself, then this should work fine for you. Just make sure you use the same size.

Incidentally a while ago my friends power supply fan died but it didn't want to open the PSU chassis so he got a high quality 120mm fan and ran a molex out the back of the case and used blutack to stick the fan on the exhaust area of the PSU outside the case in a 'pull air out' position.

Obviously not as good as replacing the fan internally (and it looks ugly) but it worked for him. I actually did this myself on a Corsair PSU that was getting too hot (powering a system near its rated limit) in the past to help drop the temps a bit.

What PSU has failed for you ?

10. Vortex88

Vortex88 New Member

Yeah, the psu definitely still powers up and works. Right now I'm at college and all I can tell you is that it's a Rosewill 800 watt psu. I'm not sure about the model; I'll have to look at all the documentation when I get home for break. I'm thinking it'll probably still have a warranty, so I can send it in and get it fixed. I might just buy a new one too anyway, because I really don't need 800 watts for my setup, and quite frankly there are way too many stray cables inside my case right now.