PS3 Blu-ray upgrade expected this month

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by calidan, Dec 6, 2007.

1. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

Source: CVG

'Profile 1.1' is the newfangled name given to a new standard of Blu-ray playback which allows for a range of new features. These include picture-in-picture playback (so you could have a director talking in one window with the film running in another), support for downloadable content and much more.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2007
  2. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i guess some people actually use this stuff & care. im more interested in thermal management. all the proc is offloaded from my ps3 when playing dvd/bd movies yet that friggin fan still runs full speed when playing a movie. is really irritating. i can stick the same dvd movie in my hk player & not a sound out of it.. & it has the still warm ps3 sitting on top of it.
    the ps3 has 2-3 inches on either side & a good 6 inches above. the glass doors on that section of my entertainment center are adjustable so i open them out far enough so there is about 3-4 inches between either door which allows plenty of airflow. i also dbld the size of the cable pass through in the back t oallow for more air.
    i just dont get why the ps3 runns almost as hot playing a movie as it does playing a fn game - fan is only slightly louder when gaming. though after about 3 hours or so the fan can get louder with a game.
    you should hear it when the front doors are closed, sounds like a friggin jet.

3. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

I agree that it does get loud. I really don't have mine in the best place for good ventilation. I've had mine almost a year and still works though.

4. mike2h

mike2h New Member

ive got 112v 120mm mechatronic fan im going to mount in the back of that section, still cant decide wether to have it blow or exhaust though..
    ive got a nasty suspicion that the ps3 fan will still run the same so all ill be doing is adding the 24db of the fan to the ps3 noise:oops::D
    bty aside from the noise mine works great. its hd feed to my 65" mits dlp & pcm stream to my marantz 8001 is awsome.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007