PS4

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Trusteft, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Well, that was an interesting presentation.

I was expecting a bit more, like for example, at least a photo of the PS4.

Random thoughts of mine regarding it.
    -Seriously, not even a photo of the PS4?

-The triggers on the new DS controller look better but also very much similar to the DS3. Not entirely sure though till I see it from a better angle.

-Way too much "social", "online", "sharing" BS into it. Some of us actually prefer a more single player approach to gaming.

-The stream was jerky at that point so I am not sure about this, but it appears that PS3 titles will be available on the PS4 either streamed or as downloads in a similar way the PS2\1 titles are to the latest versions of PS3 through the PSN. I would prefer something better, but I can't say I mind that much.

-Graphics look great, but no surprise there. My favorite games shown are probably the "deep down" title, and...who am I kidding, they all looked great.

-No talk, one way or the other, about the optical drive, IF ANY, and DRM on games distributed through that. I am not sure how to take it. Are they leaving that bit for later or there isn't going to be one at all for the PS4? No idea yet. Till this is cleared out, I have no interest in the PS4.

-It looks like the console will be released during 2013, which is great,(all things considered). I wonder if the no actual presence/show off of the console and BR talk implies there are some changes planned for it. My optimistic in me hope that Sony decided to scrap any plans for DRM/Activation/No used games on the PS4.

-Patience..

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

I also thought to myself "no picture or actual PS4 in the flesh? What manner of unveiling is this?"

3. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I will be getting no matter what :). I get the cheapest version of it and used my 500gig labtop hard drive if still labtop drive?

4. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

oh Lord yes
    since when did the world and his wife decide that the only way to game was if you had 20 fecking friends with :rolleyes:

know what? i quite often go sit in front of my comp / console to bloody well get away from people in the first place

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Cool-looking controller. :p

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

8 core x86-64 (64bit) CPU (I called this one... woot making cross platform support a reality without having to code for completely different cpu designs and methods)
    8GB of GDDR5 shared ram (booya)
    native 4k and 8k Video via HDMI including 8 channel audio support with firmware updates making 10 channel audio support viable or more not to mention highspeed internet shared among hdmi connected devices.

Rumor is that there are 3 HDMI output support allowing 3x 1080p tvs to be connected at the same time for a surroundview experience.

4 front USB ports... 2 in the rear
    Apparently they are either going with a highend 300/600N wireless adapter.. but are also considering the 1200AC If it's standardized soon enough.

Internal hardrive space is unknown.... 500gb and 1TB are rumored with a 64GB SSD built into the console. The lowest model will ONLY have the 64gb SSD. Some rumors point to an xbox style hardrive attachment being required disallowing users from just popping in any drive they wish. The SSD will be primary for fast loading of various console related stuff, Quick saves and whatnot. It'll doube as a permanent storage as well as cache.

Optical drive is supposed to be all levels of cd/dvd/br support. Including enhancements and ability to accept triple/quad layer blurays in the future or where available.

It also appears that the RCA backward capability connections (for older tvs/displays that use either component or yellow composite) are not available... lowest resolution setting is 720p 50/60hz. No interlaced content.

Better split screen support, Allowing 4k TVs to split into perfect 1080p tiles granting each user (4 players) a fantastic multiplayer experiences on a single console.

3D Support is also significantly enhanced.

Nvidia gpu is supposed to be equivalent to the mode of a 7xx and 8xx hybrid series. Somewhere in the mid to highend.

The lowest model has had a few dollar values slip out.... seems to be sitting in at around $599 USD launch, with the top model sitting at $999 which mostly just bundles more things with it.

7. Trusteft

And source for all that info? Apart from the CPU and RAM that is.

8. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Its an AMD CPU and GPU as far as I know...

9. Trusteft

Yeah me too...
    So, Judas?

10. Judas

just various places i've visited that have had what seems to be thorough discussions on the matter.

No one really stated what CPU it was .. but some were sure it was nvidia designed.

Oh well :p

They are just rumors afterall.

11. Calliers

I don't know why but I want a PS4. I just want one. Might not even use it, it might just sit in the corner collecting dust like my PS3 did.

12. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I like that they used x86. Should make PC porting easier, I imagine. Other than that, it's sort of unexciting to me. I'm sure it'll be fine, but there's nothing that really makes me think it'll really be revolutionary (certainly not the "social" features) I'd rather spend the $$$ on a video card upgrade in the next couple of years and watch my existing machine outpace the next-gen consoles.

13. Judas

Indeed viking.

If it follows the same general timeline of the ps3/xbox360... by the time it launches it'll be equivilent in power/capabilities to that of a mid range to mid-highend computer.... and then about 1 year after it'll be falling steadily from that position.

After 2 years we'll start seeing the gaming graphics/gameplay being limited on pc in some form due to being designed to work best on the consoles.. after the 4 year mark we'll start to see things improve in the PC arena as they will have been firing out performance figures twice that of the consoles with Considerably more complexity supported. 6 years PC will be booming again with more pc oriented released, at which point the consoles will refresh and the whole thing will start again.

The only real advantage for a new console with nice capabilities is the fact that it FORCES developers to make the jump to higher end more complex games which MEANS much better support for our current modern PCs... (hopefully)..

And now that the ps3 is a x86-64bit ran device.... indeed platform differences are basically NILL now, which should mean that less time required developing specifically for the console and the pc.... they should be able to do it across both with GREAT ease.

The other big factor is that they'll be (or should be) Creating content in a native 64bit enviroment. Which means that 32bit windows users are liking going to be SOL entirely for sure now. Games won't be hitting that nasty 32bit limit ceiling at all, giving them a HUGE advantage in creating ultra high resolution textures. No more crummy textures for the pc ports.

Bethsoft will not be able to develope a newer skyrim style engine that is native 64bit and shouldn't run into the numerous bugs that were caused by memory limitations. AND we won't be stuck at 256x256/512x512 texture resolutions too.

14. Calliers

Judas, can I ask you a question? Why do you always type in an essay?

15. Trusteft

Consoles can never be too powerful on release. They would be too expensive for the vast majority of gamers to buy.
    Still, in terms of graphics, they tend to do just fine for at least the first couple of years of release compared to a high end PC.
    When Xbox 360 was out, I don't remember any game on the PC to be as good looking as some of the 360 games. No racing game as good as PGR3 for example. Hell, till the current generation was out, most PC gamers had 4:3 and 5:4 monitors up to perhaps 1280x1024. I am not talking about you Judas, relax, I know you probably had an eyefinity then.
    The first game that looked great and perhaps out of the league of the 360 was Crysis. But you needed a beast of a machine to run it at 1080p, in fact from what I remember, nothing could run it at 1080p with all details top. Even for not TOP, you still had to have a system which the graphics card alone would be close to the price of a 360.
    Then, as new games come out you have to upgrade your PC every at least couple of years if you want to enjoy the latest and greatest at the highest resolutions. I mention the resolutions cause it is one of the main weapons/arguments of PC>consoles.
    It's way more expensive in the long run to use a PC for gaming, at least on the hardware side. Though with second hand games (which are almost extinct now on the PC), or even new games older than a year, it's not that hard to find cheap new console games.
    Then we have the whole compatibility issues, hardware issues, drivers, other software conflicting with Windows, blah blah blah, where with the console you buy it once and that is it. Unless the game is completely broken, you will not have a problem running the game for as long as the console works.

PC gaming might be better for some, but it is not always worth it for most.
    Not that I expect many people to agree with this on this forum lol.

Everything could change of course with this new generation. What Sony and Microsoft decide to do with the whole "used games" which is a much larger issue than just used games, will make it or break it for them. If they decide to go all DRM heavy and shit, I would not be too surprised if the next generation fails to even approach the levels of sales of previous ones.

What I find hilarious is how MS is going to push even more the whole kinect thing and together with Sony the whole "social" aspect. In 2-3 years at most Facebook will be on the way out. People are already getting tired of it. etc
    Anyway, Callandor, I typed this message just for you and to "make" Judas read as much as he writes. Just for fun.

16. Judas

i read a lot every day.... it's really not hard to type out an essay.... :p

17. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Brilliant presentation. Sure it would have been nice to see it, but they have to save some hype for when it's getting closer to launch :) The specs looks really good for a 400$ machine and the move to PC architecture will not only benefit PS4 devs/gamers, but everybody.

The new controller looks smashing, I like they try to innovate a bit, without loosing touch with their core audience. Something Sony has been really good at this generation.

As a Vita owner, I love that Remote Play is finally going to work like intended.

The games they showed was pretty and interesting, and they I'm sure we will see a lot more at E3, GDC and TGS.

18. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

I must add to this, none of you didn't mention great advantage of PS4 and that is sleep mode during gameplay. During gameplay will be able to turn off console and continue the game without loading the game :)

19. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Thought you guys would be interested in this. It's Sony's direct response to whether or not they intend to block used games from running on the PS4:

"Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month."
    ___
    source: Eurogamer

20. Trusteft

I love you.