PS5 storage upgrades reportedly coming this summer

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by MIG-31, Feb 26, 2021.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Sony will allow PlayStation 5 owners to expand the internal storage of their next-generation console later this year.

That's according to sources close to the matter talking to Bloomberg, who say a summer firmware update will add support for extra storage drives.

The PS5's current internal storage is a 825GB solid state drive (SSD) that offers around 667GB for storing games, apps and media.

Some players have been frustrated with this limit, since many titles can take up around 40GB

Trusteft likes this.
  2. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Sony NEEDS to allow cold-storage of PS5 games to an inexpensive standard HDD. gen4 SSD's, which PS5 will require at minimum, are just too costly on a dollar-per-gig vs. regular HDD's. I'd rather wait a couple minutes for a game to transfer to the SSD than to wait a half-hour or more to re-download games when I'm in a mood to play them.

As a game hoarder, I need MUCH more than a measly 1 or 2TB (even 4TB is too small) SSD which costs WAY more than is practical for a game console for my (what will become) considerable library of PS5 games. Let me use an 8TB HDD for PS5 game cold-storage that costs less than a 2TB gen4 SSD. At least they already allow this for PS4 games.

The PS5 game storage issue is the main reason I'm not in any big hurry to chase down a PS5.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

A solution could be to allow to backup your games/downloaded files, on an external drive so you don't have to re download.
    Of course I seriously doubt it would be allowed.
    Now if you will excuse me I am going to play more games I bought DRM free from GOG.

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Hai gais, hows things in hea? :D