PSP Usage Down - Japanese study suggests gamers are losing interest

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Studios have been opened the floodgates for support of PSP's proprietary UMD format. Practically every major studio already has, currently is or is planning to release a slew of film and television shows on Sony's new toy. That popularity, however, looks limited to America at the moment.

Next Generation has discovered the results of study conducted by Infoplat. Upon polling over 1,000 Japanese consumers, Infoplat found only 10% of users had used their PSP to watch a movie, and "most" were not planning on buying a UMD.

Even outside the realm of UMDs, multimedia doesn't appear to be a strong suit for the machine. Less than 50% saw themselves using a PSP for viewing movies or pictures off a memory stick. That's not really surprising. Accomplishing either of the latter tasks isn't particularly user friendly, and Sony's done little to remedy this.

What's more troubling, however, is what Japanese consumers are saying about their PSP usage. 50% of them freely admitted they had not touched their PSP in "some time." While that's certainly not at all specific, it's indicative of a similar trend amongst US PSP users desperately looking for a hot, new game to play.

2. Lchevy79

Lchevy79 -=[DHzer0point Team]=-

i dont think it is an interest being lost it is the damn gas prices we all have to make cuts somewere

3. mike2h

mike2h New Member

hate to tell you this but a good percentage that own psp do not own cars. & concerning the rest- if somebody was willing to fork out that kind of $$ for that silly device i do not think most of them would let something like 10-20cents more/gallon stop them from enjoying their psp - if they had a desire to use it. jmo.

4. Benjaminina

Benjaminina Nothing or something.

You ought to try living here in the UK! Once you've done all the boring mathsy calculations, fuel here is about $6.54/gallon. Beat that! :x

5. Rammy

Rammy DriverHeaven PR / Reviewer

6. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

OMG.. SFA3!!

That's more than enough reason for me to get a PSP, if I had extra money and wouldn't leave the PSP in a box in my closet after 3 months of playing with it. :hmm: